Converter/Charger combo

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yourdogguy

Reaction score
<div>&nbsp;</div><div>I have a 2003 Chevy Express 3500 with an Aerocell SRW body. I will be installing 4) 6 v golf cart batteries that will give me 460AH. At this point I'm trying to determine the best way to keep them charged.</div><div>I also use my van as a daily driver for my work and drive 60-70 miles per day. At the moment &nbsp;after a some research it looks like using a converter connected to my vehicles battery and then connecting a smart battery charger to the converter and then connecting &nbsp;to the house batteries will keep my batteries charged and topped off. I underatand about the need to determine if the battery bank will be sufficent for my needs as well as other issues but for now the main thing is to determine if this will work.</div><div>I'm thinking of using a 60 Amp Converter/Charger like this:<br><br></div><div>http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-D...colid=1LEPKKG51W33M&amp;coliid=I1F4RE742192LK<br><br></div><div>Will this work for my needs?</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Thanks for taking a look.</div>

those converters essentially combine a 12v distribution block, an AC outlet and charger.<br><br>whereas i decided on a marine blue sea 5026 dist block, my own outlets (12/3 SJOOW inside 1/2" liquidtite conduit with corresponding fittings anf outlet boxes) and a stand alone charger, in my case an iota dls-45 IQ4. the charger plugs into a good quality surge strip connected to my main outlet box just after my breaker box. when its energized with AC power, it acts as a converter. when no AC is present, its basically dormant. and not needed.&nbsp; this way i can connect any AC source that i need to the inlet on the van and everything else from there is a no brainer. im on AC house current 95% of the time as i have a host.&nbsp; i decided to keep my house electrical system completely isolated from the vehicles electrical system.<br><br>i am pretty sure that the charging functionality the 9260 unit provides comes from when its plugged into an AC source.&nbsp; according to your post you mention adding a smart charger but the 9260 has a charger already.&nbsp; im not sure how adding your vehicles charging circuit to the mix affects things. it could be that you simply run + and - wires to your batteries from an isolator or separator or combiner (not sure which) in order to charger them and the charginer located in the 9260 simply adjusts itself to provide what your alternator did not.<br><br>personally, i like the separate component method even if one choses to include the vehicle alternator as a charge source (i dont drive enough to justify it yet). all in one componentry makes me nervous from failure standpoint. however, i certainly see the convenience of the combined design.<br><br>

I agree with the components aspect upgrades are easy cheaper and in my conversion will fit the accessories to the power supply not the power supply to the accessories. in point forcing me to buy the right size shoe because my feet are not going to change.

I have a 100 amp 12 volt charger/inverter and a power bright 3500w inverter for sale used 3 months. 275 dollars for everything. I just flipped over to 48 volt system for inverter and solar panels. 12 volts is great for a small systems but not so hot in larger systems with solar panels and 24 battery's.

Don't forget an isolator to keep you car battery from being drained.

Will the alternator be sufficient to replace what you usin a one hour drive? It's not only charging the vehicle battery, but operating the vehicles electrical needs as well. Have you a place to plug into 110 at work and recharge the house batteries? No expert here, just raising some questions.

<div>Unfortunately I won't be able to plugin to to an A/C source.</div><div>Looking at my driving miles it averages about 75 miles a day but driving those miles over a 4 hour period.&nbsp;</div><div>(I make house calls) So I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to charge the house batteries from the alternator.&nbsp;</div><div>I don't see my driving habits changing any time soon.&nbsp;</div><div>So my first Idea was to install a DC to AC inverter and then connect a smart charger to the output of the inverter thus charging the house batteries. I understand how inefficient this arrangement is but hoping that there is a solution.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Another choice I found was this basically a Battery-to-Battery Charger or DC to DC charger&nbsp;</div><div>Sterling ProCharge-B IP68.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>http://baymarinesupply.com/store/sterling-b2b-waterproof-1212.html<br><br></div><div>It claims to be a &nbsp;4 stage charger that first tops off the starting battery and then tells the alternator to keep charging the house batteries at the correct voltage until the batteries are fully charged.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Any ideas on this option or any other possibility's please let me know &nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Solar seems pricier and not sure it would work as well in my area Wash DC</div><div>&nbsp;</div>

Is it possible to add a second alternator to your engine, and direct the output to the house battery? Our truck is is set with a second alternator, designed to be used with a snow plow kit. It's 165 amps which, if my math is correct, ought to replace in four hours whatever you use over night. Ought to replace the Amps used in an hour, unless you're an energy hog lol. I've never added a second alternator myself, so I'm not sure on which vehicles it would be feasable.

Alternator ratings are kind of meaningless.<br><br>The number is the absolute maximum the alternator could even make. &nbsp;In a Lab, At super high rpm, when cool with devices asking for the maximum, through cabling that can pass it.<br><br>So long story short, a 165 amp alternator will likely never come close to producing that in an engine Bay. &nbsp;In fact some higher rated alternators cam actually produce less current at lower RPM than their less robust rated counterparts.<br><br>Basically unless you are powering 100 amps worth of electrical devices while trying to recharge a bank of deep cycle batteries, the higher rated alternator will likely charge the batteries no faster.<br><br>It might however deal with the heat produced better and last longer in such abuse. &nbsp;Alternators produce a huge amount of heat when asked to produce lot of amps. &nbsp;Making a cold air feed to the back of the alternator is highly beneficial to those asking a lot from their charging system, for battery charging at lower rpm's, and for longevity.<br><br>The batteries accept what they can at the voltage allotted by the voltage regulator. &nbsp;The higher the voltage, the more amps the batteries will be able to take.<br><br>The problem with vehicle voltage regulators is they are designed to prevent overcharging. &nbsp;They are not programmed to Ideally and quickly recharge deep cycle batteries tacked onto the circuit.<br><br>All vehicles will be slightly different depending on which lawyer and bean counters decided to overrule the engineer, and if the vehicle has a battery temperature sensor.<br><br>My Voltage regulator is in my engine computer. &nbsp; After start up, the alternator produces the maximum amps at the rpm provided until 14.5v is reached. &nbsp;Then to keep it from going above 14.5, the amps required to hold 14.5 deep tapering. &nbsp;The more depleted my batteries, the longer it takes to reach 14.5 and the more amps required to reach 14.5. &nbsp;If my batteries are full or within 10% of full, then very little amperage is required to bring them to 14.5 and it happens within seconds of start up.<br><br>At some point my engine computer decides it allowed 14.5 for long enough and reverts to 13.7.<br><br>While the batteries were requiring 45 amps to hold 14.5, they only require 13 &nbsp;amps to hold 13.7, so charging slows down greatly. &nbsp; They'd happily take over 25 amps for the next hour, but the voltage regulator and 13.7 volts will not allow it.<br> &nbsp;Sometimes this happens in 5 minutes, sometimes it takes 30 minutes &nbsp;I've even seen it at 14.5 after a 2 hour drive, but taking only 3 amps to hold them there. &nbsp;I am not sure what triggers or how it decides 13.7 is all that is needed. &nbsp;I've just decided it is what it is, and Oh well if the alternator is not working as hard as the batteries would like.<br><br>The DC to DC converters are trying to keep a steady 14.5 to the house battery, basically trying to overrule the vehicles voltage regulator.&nbsp;<br><br>Powering a Battery charger by an inverter running off the engine battery is a good way to keep the house batteries at 14.5 for as long as the batteries desire. Depends on the charger, and if Idling the engine to recharge the house batteries, the alternator might not be able to keep up, and the engine will be discharging while the house batteries are charging.<br><br>Since AC voltage drop is much less, this inverter battery charger strategy is often used &nbsp;when the house batteries are very distant from the alternator. &nbsp;Just place the charger near the batteries with a longer AC extension cord to the inverter, which should be close to the battery over thick cabling.&nbsp;

im wondering if you could find a generator head and adapt it to run off a vehicle engine via pulley/belt. i would think it would have to be one with 4 poles (?? right term??) so that lower RPM would still produce AC at 60Hz.&nbsp; i know the heads that run off slow diesels (1800rpm or so) do this.<br><br>i really wish small diesel engines were more prominent and/or cheaper here in the US. from what ive read, low rpm diesel engines make great generator components.<br><br>(i also like propane despite its lower output. i like the storage longevity and the fact that its also easy to get.)

thats a shame...<br><br>is it a mechanical issue or an electrical one?

Old style AC generators need the engine always running at a specific RPM.&nbsp; Inverter generators don't, but it is hooking an alternator to an inverter internally.&nbsp; (Being able to run the engine at variable speed makes up for the losses of the inverter.)