conversion van AC unit on battery

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I built my system to run the small A/C instead of a swamp cooler is for a few reasons.

First off I can produce the energy needed to run the A/C out in the middle of no where and running to get more water is no different than running for more gas to use a generator.

Second, high humidity kills a swamp cooler. Trying to use it just turns the space you are trying to cool even more humid and unbearable.

Third is you really need a high air flow with a swamp cooler and it would feel like a wind storm in the trailer.

Next is excessively high heat like in the desert right now is too much for a swamp cooler. The little A/C's were able to keep the trailer in the 70's when it was 112 degrees.

I had a huge swamp cooler for 12 years on a house in Denver. It worked great as long as the humidity and temperatures stayed low enough. It can be a clammy kind of cold since humidity is being pumped into the space. Use it long enough and you will find that everything in the space absorbs that humidity and smells musty when the cooler is off. It used so much water that the fill valve never shut off on a hot day.

The last thing is my solar powers so much more than just the A/C's. It runs a electric hot water heater, a electric stove, coffee maker, my 12 volt freezer, sometimes my propane fridge, a microwave, fans, charges up my cameras, computers, hotspots, phone and of course my batteries. Try plugging a circular saw, drill press or a blender into your swamp cooler and see what happens.

A Toyota Prius has an electric air conditioner, but it has a large Lithium battery bank and a 2,000cc generator to recharge those when they do go low. The engine starts automatically if the ignition switch is on.
If you want AC, you will need a generator. The larger the AC, the larger the generator. a 5,000 BTU window air unit can run off of a 1,000 watt generator.
On the truck cab AC units, I used to install them. I worked for a Carrier Transicold dealership. Mobile refrigeration is what we did. All the truck AC units that I installed had a small diesel generator making power for them. They were called APU. Auxiliary Power Unit. I retired 10 years ago, so maybe they came up with something new That is battery powerred. like something that would cool the size of a coffin.

Latest posts