Construct Walls or Ceiling First?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7wanders

Reaction score
I did a quick search of the forums, but didn't see any posts on this subject.

For a box truck conversion, after insulation, should you put in panels for the walls or ceiling first? I'm guessing that the ceiling should go first so that the walls for an additional vertical support to hold the ceiling in place at the edges.

I welcome input from those of you who have been there and done that; thanks in advance!

No right or wrong answer really. Keep in mind that as long as the ceiling is open, it allows an easy crossing for wires. I also found that due to the slight arch of the roof, I don't want my ceiling to go to walls in areas that get upper cabinets... Just an inch past cabinet and it worked out nicely...

it's kinda what ever you decide like Brad said. that said I put the ceiling up first so that the walls help with support like you said. highdesertranger

that makes things much easier. thanks for the quick answers!

Doesn't matter, frame ceiling and walls separately, tie them together using cabinets and some sort of cove covering.

Usually in a building you do as you said, and cover the ceiling first then use the wall covering to help support the edges. On most mobile dwellings there ends up with a lip or something at the corner anyway, or they don't one together square. A box truck may be the exception to this, but at least on my cargo trailer that was the case - there was a sharp radius at the edge of the roof that no sheet goods were going to bend around. I did the walls first, and then the ceiling as that just happens to workout in that order on my build - wouldn't have mattered either way as I still had to cover the gap with an angled piece of trim board.

Seven, here is my very rough drawing of what I was talking about over on YT:

wall-brackets.png

Attachments

• wall-brackets.png
    wall-brackets.png
    629.5 KB · Views: 11