Considering this van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thehellend said:
Ok, new one, and I'm in LOVE with the look of this one :)

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/6080502663.html

He's like 4 hours drive from me. I called and spoke to him, older guy, sounds like it was his wife's van from new and she very recently passed away. Garage kept most of its life, all servicing done on time, no rust. I'm excited, but also scared because it's so far from me! I've asked for interior photos, and I'm toying with saying feck it and hopping in the car for a long ass roadtrip to go look at it.

Looks like a good find - BUT be sure to have a mechanic go over it before you do the deal.

ArtW said:
deff want interior pics
It has stock wheels, that's a plus, I thought the wheels on the other one were ugly on top of illegal in some states (i'd have asked for stock wheels if I'd bought it, but he probably didn't have them)
TV top gives a bit more headroom, if it's in good shape I'd consider it, though not in my area, as the price would be high, here, but price is geographically dependant

What kind of price would this be in your area?

And yea, other van was not right for me. This one though... I've asked for interior pics, he said he'd have to have his mom do that for him though as he "wasn't real good with them computer things..." lol

drysailor said:
Looks like a good find - BUT be sure to have a mechanic go over it before you do the deal.

Yes - I need to figure this part out - I've never done a pre-purchase inspection before.

In my area it's be $2k - maybe $2500, possibly 3k if REALLY nice
OTOH, it'd also be an unlikely find, at that age
If it's rust free and nice, it might be worth $3k where you are
have you valued it through NADA or KBB?
both websites I think are area adjusted

Nice looking unit (Huntsville) ask about a trailer hitch, if there is one that often sends clues about potential early transmission failure due to the stress put upon the unit.

No hitch can be an excellent indicator too.

Dave

ArtW said:
In my area it's be $2k - maybe $2500, possibly 3k if REALLY nice
OTOH, it'd also be an unlikely find, at that age
If it's rust free and nice, it might be worth $3k where you are
have you valued it through NADA or KBB?
both websites I think are area adjusted

It says $3200 for average retail price on NADA. KBB doesn't seem to go back to 1986? I think I could probably get a few hundred off the price though, so it would be around $2500-700.

That would give me a cool $2k to use for upgrades and any needed maintenance.

Mum's blanket would go well in it <3

Them provided it's in good shape I'd get it
I think I paid a bit above book value for my van, it took a while to find one at all

djkeev said:
Nice looking unit (Huntsville) ask about a trailer hitch, if there is one that often sends clues about potential early transmission failure due to the stress put upon the unit.

No hitch can be an excellent indicator too.

Dave

Good tip, will ask. Thanks! :)

ArtW said:
Them provided it's in good shape I'd get it
I think I paid a bit above book value for my van, it took a while to find one at all

Yeah that's the issue I'm having. It seems that in this area, these vans are all owned by older people, and they only become available when... well... there is no longer an owner. :/

In Knoxville, nothing seems to be popping up, and I'm finding that the ones with the most promise are all out in the boonies.

Looking forward to seeing more about it. Will make the journey out tonight to look at it if all checks out.

if the 'owner' died, make sure the seller has their name on the title, or they might have to do some hoop jumping before they can 'officially' sell it

ArtW said:
if the 'owner' died, make sure the seller has their name on the title, or they might have to do some hoop jumping before they can 'officially' sell it

Very good point, thanks!

Ok ok ok so it's all moving fast! I have a guy who is going there now to do an inspection, and will make the trip out to get it if all is well. Got the interior pics.... it's stunning on the inside. The only concern is carfax shows a major damage collision in 2010 but the vehicle was drivable. Hoping that is not a deal breaker (but it does sort of make the inspection cost worth it, lol).

OMG SHE IS PERFECT!! Just got the word from my CL mechanic guy (who, by the way, was amazing and if you're looking for this kind of thing around the Huntsville area, ask me for his details) that the van is in impeccable condition. I need to go buy her asap.

Can you tow a G20 behind something? What van should I rent to bring her back? She runs (with a jump - battery is tired) but there is only one of me, so the only way I could get her and my transporting vehicle back would be with a tow.

you would need a full size car trailer to tow that van and should have at least a 1 ton for the tow vehicle. what was the damage on the van from the accident? highdesertranger

They don't have the info as it was from the previous owner, but says it was drivable and the mechanic said the engine and workings still seemed in excellent condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Take a cl rideshare out to where the van is and drive it back.
The collision could not have been too bad, as the insurance would have totaled it if the cost exceed the value.
Make sure it does not have a salvage title.

I ended up getting the van! https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Found-her-now-I-need-to-get-her

First I chatted with the sellers, then I found a guy on CL and leap-of-faith paid him to go inspect the van (and he actually did, I have proof!), got a verbal run down of the condition of the van inside and out, and decided to hell with it, buy now!

So me and my friend drove out in her truck, paid for the van, and drove back in convoy. Everything went well! The van ran fine, I already registered her at the DMV, and I even got a fancy cat saxophone license plate (like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/3t8AAOSw44BYcYzo/s-l300.jpg) because why not! Woo!

I love the name "The Bacon Van". one thing I noticed when a clicked on the link for the pic. the trim rail that holds the screws that hold the top is missing the insert. check the butyl tape behind the trim and put a new insert in ASAP. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the trim rail that holds the screws that hold the top is missing the insert.

Oh good spot, I'll look at it now! Thank you!!!

f7eacdc6e51881f176dc51477cc4da92.jpg
hah, I found this in the van - looks like she was being prepped for it at some point and it never got done. Not sure I like the black though, might have to do a quick job and replace it later.