Considering this van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehellend

Reaction score
https://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/cto/6074757027.html

Hey! I've figured out what I want, to some extent. I'd like something with lots of windows, low miles, and as unfinished inside as possible (as I'll be putting in my own flooring and some light furnishings - not a full time dweller van but a mobile office with bed!). It looks like there's a lot of space for standing up too, maybe not fully but I don't mind a slight stoop.

This would be an 8 hour round trip so I want to consider it carefully. Firstly, does it look like a good fit? Good value? She didn't write much in the listing so what questions should I ask her?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

semi high top, no center seats, windows, not bad
I can't say if it's worth it in your area, but in my area it would be
Main thing, verry important: rust
Although I don't think the aluminum ones were as bad, often the steps folks mount on vans can cause rust issues
Also, I'm jelly it has the factory steelies, mine came with 17" 'bling' wheels I am getting rid of

ArtW said:
semi high top, no center seats, windows, not bad
I can't say if it's worth it in your area, but in my area it would be
Main thing, verry important: rust
Although I don't think the aluminum ones were as bad, often the steps folks mount on vans can cause rust issues
Also, I'm jelly it has the factory steelies, mine came with 17" 'bling' wheels I am getting rid of

Rust is the first question I'm asking her. :)

I have realized I HATE the conversion vans with carpeted floors. I have a car with all leather seats and it was still completely caked in previous owner juice, so I fear what lies within 27 year old carpet...

Unfortunately, most all vehicles come with carpet
my favorite vehicles have all had rubber floor mats instead
laminate or linoleum would make more sense in a camper van, or even just plywood with a stain or shellac or some such

ArtW said:
Unfortunately, most all vehicles come with carpet
my favorite vehicles have all had rubber floor mats instead
laminate or linoleum would make more sense in a camper van, or even just plywood with a stain or shellac or some such

I'm tempted to go astroturf.... :)

Hmm ok, I got a carfax ($4.99 for the win!) and it says there is a lien reported, and also exceeds mechanical limits title. Should I be concerned on either of these? It's a 6-digit odo where the EML title happened at like 86k, and the lien was reported this Feb. Mama always told me if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. So, should I see these as red flags?

sU3mgKK.png

When I asked for some kind of verification of the lien being paid off she said "My word is good enough". No it's not, lady, you're a stranger from Craigslist to me - proof is all that is good enough!

Damn, oh well. :(

Along with her "word", she should have a title signed by the lienholder and/or waiver of lien
There's another one out there for you, without all the BS.

"exceeds" mechanical limits? lol ...nowadays over 100k isn't 'exceeding.'

Not willing to prove, yeah, it's best to move on.

mayble said:
Along with her "word", she should have a title signed by the lienholder and/or waiver of lien
There's another one out there for you, without all the BS.

Yeah, I'm just getting so impatient!! I'm not known for my level-headed patience in waiting for the right thing to come along. Well, apart from with my husband....!

The price is high in my opinion I would offer her 1500.00
The mileage would not concern me if it does not have rust. I am pretty handy mechanically and dropping an engine or transmission in a van is no big deal
I tend to stay away from handicap vans, no matter how cheap they are.
That is a lot of stress on the frame over the years.

something is funny that report of exceeding the limits of the odometer is for 5 digit odometers. the picture of the odometer clearly shows 6 digits. are you sure you ran the right VIN? yes ask for proof of the lien being paid. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
something is funny that report of exceeding the limits of the odometer is for 5 digit odometers.  the picture of the odometer clearly shows 6 digits.  are you sure you ran the right VIN?  yes ask for proof of the lien being paid.  highdesertranger

Yep, I thought that too, but it is the right van - the location and three owners and all other stuff matched up. A trip into deep Google suggested it could have been done in error when inputting the mileage on the computers (earlier in the report it says an EML title was reported in error, so I guess that DMV just has poor training or something!)

I asked for proof of the lien being paid and she replied with "My word is good enough", which I basically translated to "I'm going to dick you around and not respect that this is a serious purchase for you" so I noped out of the deal as quick as I could.

in Texas if you put 'exempt' on the title at transfer time, the title reads exempt after that
I would make her go to the DMV with me and transfer the title at time of sale, the DMV would know for sure if it has a lien

Ok, so I got a new consideration: 

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/6078414494.html

He's slightly flexible on price. 

Pros: 
- Got the carfax and it looks good on paper
- Been in TN all its life
- No rust, guy even said it still had the undercoating on
- He said he'd changed the tires several times because he's fussy, and stuck with these ones that were like $1600 and are really good somehow. 
- He's been meticulous with servicing it and has records
- Only selling because he's got old and arthritic and can't camp in it anymore

Cons:
- He smoked in it
- It's quite old
- The A/C needs a new compressor
- It's got like 6 owners at least on the carfax
- I feel like that's a high price? But I can't find a benchmark for it

Thoughts welcomed, we'll be going to view it tomorrow (and get some sushi burritos - a great 2nd reason to go to Nashville!).

air shocks, thumbs down. it seem to lean to the driver side. that plus the air shocks might mean suspension needs work to be done. tires stick out beyond the body, that will get you a ticket in some states even more if you were to kick up a rock and hit a motorcycle officer in the face. remember Car Fax is not the whole story. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
air shocks,  thumbs down.  it seem to lean to the driver side.  that plus the air shocks might mean suspension needs work to be done.  tires stick out beyond the body,  that will get you a ticket in some states even more if you were to kick up a rock and hit a motorcycle officer in the face.  remember Car Fax is not the whole story.  highdesertranger

Did not know that about the tires. Thank you! I really have no clue about this stuff... :(

Ok, new one, and I'm in LOVE with the look of this one :)

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/6080502663.html

He's like 4 hours drive from me. I called and spoke to him, older guy, sounds like it was his wife's van from new and she very recently passed away. Garage kept most of its life, all servicing done on time, no rust. I'm excited, but also scared because it's so far from me! I've asked for interior photos, and I'm toying with saying feck it and hopping in the car for a long ass roadtrip to go look at it.

deff want interior pics
It has stock wheels, that's a plus, I thought the wheels on the other one were ugly on top of illegal in some states (i'd have asked for stock wheels if I'd bought it, but he probably didn't have them)
TV top gives a bit more headroom, if it's in good shape I'd consider it, though not in my area, as the price would be high, here, but price is geographically dependant