Considering replacing the radio in my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LookinUp

Reaction score
The factory radio in my Chevy van is not of good quality, which is to be expected for an ex-commercial van. I am considering having it replaced. The reception is lousy, no cd player, no aux. port, etc, except for the reception issue, I can do without all the bells & whistles, but if I have it replaced will go ahead and get something nicer. This is out of my range of expertise, but would a booster possibly solve the former issue? If not, has anyone else upgraded their radio, any suggestions. Thanks so much!

Crutchfield has a good customer service and can help you with what you need.

You will need a mounting bracket, and wiring harness that connects from factory harness to new radio.

They will help take the guess work out of which correct bracket and wiring harness you need. You won't get that kind of support from Amazon. For many cars, they even provide installation instructions.

https://www.crutchfield.com/car/carselector.aspx?vb=Y&g=300&sl=Y&lp=/g_300/All-Car-Stereos.html&

I'm not affiliated, I just like them.

edit 2: and it looks like they will throw in the installation kit for free upon checking real quick. go have a look.
edit 3: I used to install car stereos for a living some time ago.

Deals to be had on Amazon and Walmart.com. online for installation info. And if you have a newer vehicle, may require an expensive adapter to work with all of car CPU interaction. Know this for my GM, an aftermarket radio installed will require a $75 interface module to work properly unless you run your own wires to the speakers. My CD player part of the radio went on strike, claiming overworked and harsh working environment. I bypassed it with an FM transmitter and my mp3s.
You can get plain, cheap radios now for $25, less than $50 with Bluetooth, phone connectivity, remote and just about every feature known to man. And mega fancy ones for around $100. The cost of systems has really come down. Installed a few in recent vehicles and you can splice in to existing wires or buy the adapter connector for about $10 to save some hassle.

I had my RV repair tech put this radio and back up camera in my 03 Tundra https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01686P1XK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I need a back up camera to help when I hitch my trailer by myself. They offer it without.) I love it and consider it money well spent. Before I found the RV tech that I use I noticed there were ads on Craigslist posted by techs that specialize in radio installs. They would have to be cheaper than Best Buy. At least Best Buy will install a radio you purchased from Amazon unlike Car Toys. BTW, as someone else mentioned, I also needed to buy from Amazon a wiring harness and mounting bracket specifically for my truck.

If you're even somewhat handy you can change it yourself. Go to BestBuy, there will be a mounting bracket and wiring adapter for your vehicle make. Play with the head units on display until you find one you like. Get one with Bluetooth, stream music from your phone, and throw your CDs in the trash. The hardest part is partially disassembling the dash.

Woof. If it were me, I would not splice that factory harness. I'd either buy wiring adapter for few bucks or run my own wire. Either way, less headache for a variety of reasons.

If you just want to feed audio from your ipod/mp3player/smartphone you can buy FM modulators that will feed a low power signal to the radio (wirelessly) so you can listen to your choice of music: mp3s, audio streaming, youtube music, pandora, whatever.

Of course, you are still limited to the power and quality of the factory radio.

But its an option. Its what I did.

Ha! I have the same problem with the GMC - stock radio was AM/FM only, no CD player, nada!

I didn't want the music just when I was driving, I wanted it when parked also so I took the cheap way out. Bought a single disk portable CD player for $25. that I can either run on batteries (I don't) or plug in to an accessory outlet. Then I discovered that it only had headphones so I added a pair of portable 12V speakers for another $10.

Works for me and I can plug it in anywhere in the van no matter where or what I'm doing!

LookinUp said:
The factory radio in my Chevy van is not of good quality ... 

This presents an excellent opportunity for a small bit of social inter-action !  :)

As stated, a powered signal booster is probably Not the way to go.
It's called an active booster...  A passive boost is superior, in many ways...
In other words, an antenna.  :)

You did not mention what year model your van is, so we're unaware of out starting point, yet almost all current radios are superior to older ones.
The worst thing that has happened to radio reception is replacement of the fender mounted radio antenna with one embedded within the windshield.  They are simply not as effective.

I will assume you are not an audiophile, or interested in blasting disco level sound.

Yet that does present an option you should be aware of...

We are ALL aware of the young folks with Xtreme sound systems that go BOOM BOOM CH CH as they go down the street...
As you encounter them, take a moment to ask if they know someone who will install a radio in your van, for a few bucks.

This is not rocket science. Perhaps somewhat technical, but many young folks Do have the skill, and, they have stock radios removed from other vehicles which are not much more than a paperweight to them.  I'm talking 5 or 10 bucks value at a yardsale...

Without too much trouble, or expense, I am confident you can locate some young person who can accomplish this task for you inexpensively.
It's most likely they will have some sort of stock radio on hand which would fit in your dashboard, perhaps requiring a 'basket' and/or a bezel kit.
Be sure to have an external antenna mounted, if you do not already have one on your van.
Be sure to advise them you just want something simple with a cd player and maybe an input jack, which would allow others to load you up with music on a digital device for listening to at your pleasure.

There might be 1/2 a dozen radios around here, and young fellows who would do this cheap enough. But here is no different from wherever you are !  They probably have a pair of smaller speakers they would install back in your camper section if you wish.  :)   wheels

I put a new stereo in my Econoline and I was shocked at how easy it was. I wanted a new stereo primarily for bluetooth calling with my phone, but since I was getting a new stereo I also went for a backup camera.

The basic stereo install was ridiculously easy. I needed the stereo, the removal tools for the stock stereo, an antenna extender because the wire wasn't long enough to reach the connection on the new stereo, and the bracket to mount it into the dash.

The one real complication is that the van's existing wiring harness does not have the reverse indicator wire to turn on the camera. So I need to run my own wire to trigger the stereo to switch to camera mode when the car is in reverse. I haven't done that yet - it's a low priority because I can turn it on manually through the stereo's touch screen controls. I have enough other things going on in the van right now to keep me busy.

Almost There said:
Ha! I have the same problem with the GMC - stock radio was AM/FM only, no CD player, nada!

I didn't want the music just when I was driving, I wanted it when parked also so I took the cheap way out. Bought a single disk portable CD player for $25. that I can either run on batteries (I don't) or plug in to an accessory outlet. Then I discovered that it only had headphones so I added a pair of portable 12V speakers for another $10.

Works for me and I can plug it in anywhere in the van no matter where or what I'm doing!
That's actually the route I went initially. Portable CD player, and mp3 player, bluetooth speaker, all of which can be charged by 12v plug. These all work great when I'm stationary, but when going down the road the speaker volume isn't loud enough to compete with road noise and AC. Perhaps I just need to look at a different speaker.

Dream True said:
I had my RV repair tech put this radio and back up camera in my 03 Tundra https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01686P1XK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I need a back up camera to help when I hitch my trailer by myself. They offer it without.) I love it and consider it money well spent. Before I found the RV tech that I use I noticed there were ads on Craigslist posted by techs that specialize in radio installs. They would have to be cheaper than Best Buy. At least Best Buy will install a radio you purchased from Amazon unlike Car Toys. BTW, as someone else mentioned, I also needed to buy from Amazon a wiring harness and mounting bracket specifically for my truck.
I've toyed with the idea of a backup camera. Because I have solar panels on top I have to use a trailer for my kayak and canoe when I travel with them. Really hard to back it up with the van, the only way I know I'm doing good is when I don't see the trailer at all. :)

if it's a knob radio you're going to have to cut out the metal plate. at which point I'd look for a stereo shop that does free installs if you buy from them.

LookinUp said:
I've toyed with the idea of a backup camera. Because I have solar panels on top I have to use a trailer for my kayak and canoe when I travel with them. Really hard to back it up with the van, the only way I know I'm doing good is when I don't see the trailer at all. :)
Love the back up camera but will miss the exercise. Back the truck up, jump out, see where I'm at, jump in, correct, jump back out again, see where I'm at, etc, etc. No need to work out on days I hitched up. :D

The factory radio in my Chevy van is not of good quality, which is to be expected for an ex-commercial van. I am considering having it replaced. The reception is lousy, no cd player, no aux. port, etc, except for the reception issue, I can do without all the bells & whistles, but if I have it replaced will go ahead and get something nicer. This is out of my range of expertise, but would a booster possibly solve the former issue? If not, has anyone else upgraded their radio, any suggestions. Thanks so much!
I agree with Crutchfield, great company and tech line