considering 2010-2013 Ford Transit Connect conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you recommend a 2010-2013 Ford Transit Connect and how many miles experience do you have with

• YES, under 100k miles

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • NO, under 100k miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES, over 100k miles

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • NO, over 100k miles

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

z bird

Reaction score
EDIT: I just posted this and realized there is a typo in the poll, but now I cant seem to find a way to edit the poll after posting it. The last option of the poll should say "over 100k" not under. Thanks!  Fixed the poll for you. rvwandering moderator

Hey ya'all- I just came across this site and love all the knowledge! This is my first post!

For awhile now I have been considering buying a used (~100k miles) 2010-2013 Ford Transit Connect. When it comes to the size of the vehicle, it is exactly what I am looking for. I am planning on converting the connect to make it comfortable for a few weeks of living at a time. Vaguely, my plan is to design some modular storage and set up a couple of bolts to easily hang a hammock up for sleeping. I am trying to make this van a stealth sleeper, and this seems like the rig for the job. I'm sure that I'll have plenty of questions when it comes time to build the conversion, but for now I am just wondering what are people's thoughts about this van?

I am pretty sold on the vehicle but am nervous about how reliable it actually is. I hear a lot about the trials and tribulations of owning a FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily). Specifically with the Transit Connects, I have read a lot about transmission issues. From what I can tell, this mostly stems from people overloading the small engine. My hope is that if you don't treat the car like a v6 utility rig, there won't be any issues outside of regular maintenance.

How many miles do these things go? Most of the used Transit Connects I am finding are right in the neighborhood of 80-120k miles, is there a reason everyone wants to get rid of them right around that 100k mile point? I know some vans will still be running well after the apocalypse but from what I can tell there aren't many of these that are pushing 200k without some serious hiccups.

Unfortunately I don't really know anyone who has owned this vehicle. So to those who have- any advice? All of the reviews I have seen online are filled with people who love it (but haven't owned it for more than 50k miles) and those who hate it (saying a lot of problems started showing up between 60k-100k miles)

Thanks for any and all help!

Stoked to hack away on this evenings/weekends project!

:cool:
-Z

One reason you don't see many Transit Connects with 200k miles is that the oldest ones in the US have only been around since 2010. I suspect there are other reasons (build quality, engine/transmission, etc.). Since I have a 2013 Transit Connect with less than 50k, I'll just have to wait and see.

I think the biggest thing to consider if buying a high mileage used Transit Connect would be its maintenance history and any info you can get about who used it and how.

There are a few threads on this forum about members who have Connects and how they built them out. I don't know if there are that many on this forum to give much info on your poll, however. You should be able to do a search within the forum for Transit and find the various threads that have people's experiences???

Bob's posted a new video interview of a young woman dwelling in a well-used Transit Connect-

[video=youtube]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SqJCR0t6rE[/video]

Is Jen on here? maybe she can chime in on how she likes it so far with the TC (pros and cons).

LMTLMT said:
Is Jen on here? maybe she can chime in on how she likes it so far with the TC (pros and cons).

I got the impression from the video that she may not be on the road and in that TC for very long.

If I had to guess, once she got to Florida, it would be back inside a brick and mortar for her.

That being said, I would be on the look out for a used TC in FL w/ a salvage title for around 3k!

FortyandLifeToGo said:
I got the impression from the video that she may not be on the road and in that TC for very long.

If I had to guess, once she got to Florida, it would be back inside a brick and mortar for her.

That being said, I would be on the look out for a used TC in FL w/ a salvage title for around 3k!

Salvage titles have always intimidated me because (despite wishing it weren't so) I am not the most mechanically minded.

Last thing I want to do is buy a lemon. Also wanting to buy a clean title so I can sell it off easily should I ever desire. I appreciate the advice!

Also checkout the One Awesome Inch YouTube channel. That guy recently converted a Transit Connect to live in.

I'm beginning to see a ton of them coming to the secondary mkt. not sure about reliability,,,but they just look like they have a light built drive train to me,,,,almost like longevity wasn't taken into consideration, just fuel econ. which in a light built D.T. is going to make for long term reliability problems

I haven't had any major issue with my 2010 TC, just a faulty window regulator switch that I fixed, and some slop in the steering that I addressed by tightening a single bolt.

Definitely check to see if the van was used for heavy hauling before buying. As stated by someone else, they're not a heavy duty rig, so overloading them with pipes or engine blocks will greatly shorten the life of the transmission. I think that's the biggest issue. People generally buy them for use in their small company and load them up with all sorts of junk.

I got lucky. It was pretty clear that the original owner, who I got the van from, was using it for just what I planned for it..... Camping.
He had installed sliding RV/camper windows and hardware for hanging curtains.
So far it's been great, and you really can't beat the fuel economy! Unless of course you climb a lot of steep hills, fully loaded. :/

Here's my build thread --> https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-My-2010-Ford-Transit-Connect-conversion
Maybe it will help you find some ideas for your upcoming purchase.

I enjoy my van for camping trips, but I honestly don't understand how anyone full-times in them. They're just too darn small imo.

BigT, after reading Bobs travels and where he takes his rig,about what percentage of his type of boondocking, (I'm having a hard time trying to find the right words) maybe backwoods is the right way to say it? can you do with your rig. thanks, caretaker

I'm not a big fan of driving my TC off road or even on dirt roads. It's built on a passenger car chassis but has a solid rear axle and *very* stiff rear springs. (I'm talking very stiff).
I don't even like driving over speed bumps in a parking lot. It drives just like a car or small pickup on the street, but hit a bump with the rear wheels, and you'll feel it to your bones.

Not sure I'd want to go bouncing around in the woods.