Condensation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butternut

Reaction score
<span id="internal-source-marker_0.946630323800437" style="background-color: transparent; color: black; font-family: Georgia; font-size: 11pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;">I just asked this on my <a target="_blank" href="http://www.thetuckerbag.blogspot.com">blog</a>. Any ideas?<br><br>The weather is getting cooler (thank goodness) and an old problem has reemerged: Condensation. Nothing gives a vehicle dweller away like foggy windows on a cool morning. No matter how much time you spend making the rest of the car totally stealth, this is the thing that will sink you.</span><span style="background-color: transparent; color: black; font-family: Georgia; font-size: 11pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;"> Now I’m looking for options. I’m going to be living like this until about October (longer if I can beat the cold) and I don’t want to loose my parking space (again). Here are the obstacles I have to take into consideration (because I will still be driving the car each day).</span><br> <ul style="text-align: left;"><li><span style="background-color: transparent; color: black; font-family: Georgia; font-size: 11pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;">Massachusetts law will not allow me to heavily tint the windows</span></li><li><span style="background-color: transparent; color: black; font-family: Georgia; font-size: 11pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;">I can’t have anything covering the windows or blocking my view (so no permanent insulation)</span></li><li><span style="background-color: transparent; color: black; font-family: Georgia; font-size: 11pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;">I can't use a car cover, <a target="_blank" href="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/02/u...;ei=5094&amp;partner=homepage&amp;oref=slogin">as I know others have</a>. It would totally give me away.</span></li></ul><div style="text-align: left;"><span style="background-color: transparent; color: black; font-family: Georgia; font-size: 11pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;">I have a few ideas that I’m going to start pricing.</span></div><ul style="text-align: left;"><li><span style="background-color: transparent; color: black; font-family: Georgia; font-size: 11pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;">I could use that heat shrinking window film on the three passenger windows. I’d still be able to see out but it should create enough of a barrier that condensation wouldn’t form. Finding a surface to adhere it to is a slight problem.</span></li><li><span style="background-color: transparent; color: black; font-family: Georgia; font-size: 11pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;">I could make insulated panels to insert over the windows at night, much like I now put up my neoprene. </span></li></ul><div style="text-align: left;"><span style="background-color: transparent; color: black; font-family: Georgia; font-size: 11pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;">The major problem I'm having is with the windshield. I can't think of a good way to cover it temporarily. So I am calling on the collective knowledge of the vagabonding community. This must have come up before. How do you deal with it?</span></div>

Get one of those car covers and keep it on at night? That's what the guy in the homeless living blog did.

I have found that the air conditioner in my newest van is a pretty good dehumidifier, if I turn it on before the windows get wet.&nbsp;

Latest posts