Condensation and removal.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyntonstu

Reaction score
Condensation is something to be avoided.

I have seen non-compressor dehumidifiers (Peltier) with condensate containers mounted beneath.

The smallish containers have to be emptied and that could be a nuisance and they could overflow.

You vehicle A/C condensate is dripped outside.

Suggestion:  Drill a hole in the floor, place the Peltier dehumidifier above the hole, and let the condensate drain.

Increased ventilation helps.

Make sure to get your sleep mat off the platform.

And no burning propane inside the living space.

Eva-dry units are supposed to work well, comes in 12V

A simple analog hygrometer is only $1 on eBay, digital models from $5.

Or run you AC while you are driving. Even when it is cold out you can run the AC and turn the temp up on it. I haven't found anything that takes moisture out of the van faster then running AC while driving. I do understand that if you are stationary this would not work. My van is also my daily driver so when it's humid out the AC does an amazing job.

DampRid works fairly well - the bucket one, at least.

The DollarTree ones vary in how well they work, from my own personal experience in car, storage units, and car fridge.

Online I've heard but haven't tried cedar balls, cat litter (in a sock) via YouTube (I believe), and charcoal (Amazon and Daiso).

I need non electric options that's also pet-safe - and clutzy, blonde moments. No drilling required, too. My wagon is still under warranty.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Best of both worlds, burn your propane outside the living space.

Propex HS2211

or go Webasto/Espar and burn your propulsion fuel, very commonly used in cold climates where truckers not allowed to idle.

All very very fuel and DC efficient, let you boondock in ski area parking lots

There are vented furnace units also, but generally noisier, less efficient, and of course occupy precious inside space.

Yes of course all these better solutions cost more than a Buddy, but not compared to B&M rent

FYI 1.64 pounds of water per gallon of propane burned, like constant misting in your living space

John61CT said:
...And no burning propane inside the living space...

Info or link on this if you can? Is is about the CO? But if the below quote covers it, then that answers(mostly) my query. Thnx!

John61CT said:
FYI 1.64 pounds of water per gallon of propane burned, like constant misting in your living space

yep, byproduct of combustion is water vapour as well as deadly CO

John61CT said:
yep, byproduct of combustion is water vapour as well as deadly CO

Coal burning power plant stacks have what looks like smoke coming out.

It really is water vapor and invisible CO2.

Boyntonstu said:
I have seen non-compressor dehumidifiers (Peltier) with condensate containers mounted beneath.
The smallish containers have to be emptied and that could be a nuisance and they could overflow.

I bought one and it does an impressive job pulling humidity out of the air.  It has a sensor to stop dehumidifying when the level gets high.  Because it pulls 3A I plan to run it only off the opportunity circuit.

Some folks drill a hole in the tray and run the condensate into their sink (ie, gray tank).  If you aren't drinking you could put it into the freshwater tank.

frater secessus said:
it does an impressive job pulling humidity out of the air.
Can you give an estimate of peak production?

My understanding is ounces per day rather than quarts or gallons. . .

Yes, ounces from a van-sized space. Got 6oz overnight in my office. Doesn't sound like much but that's a lot of water vapor (something like 10 cubic meters of visible fog).

Definitely not going to be living off that water supply.