Computer/Phone Repair as a nomadic job?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Team,

I think your idea about focusing on phone repair is a good one. The number of different parts is a lot lower, especially if you focus on the few, most popular, brands. Plus the parts are a lot smaller, so you could store your entire inventory in a couple of tubs.

Setting up a kiosk or rent is a good idea too, depending on the venue.

Bob's idea of teaching classes is really good. I have read that that has become a thing now at a lot of RV parks. The owners like it because it gives them the reputation of offering interesting things to do at their park. Regular RVers apparently love to take all kinds of classes. I saw a YouTube video about an older couple that is raking in the cash just teaching PC classes.

Finally, I'm not like those other PC techs. I have been happy to at least try doing basic setup stuff on Mac's. It was usually so easy I had to wonder why someone was paying me to do it. I just can't stand to use the things. 😛

This is really good. I'm starting to get an idea of how this might work. Everyone's feedback is very helpful and encouraging.

Tech workshops might be the key. I have actually done workshops in the past, at the Apple Store and at schools. They always led to people wanting to pay for individualized training wether it's was offered or not. And most of those people were the older generation that were eager to keep learning.

I got a lot more to thinking about now. Thanks.

- Chris

I wouldn't take my phone or computer to a nomad I just met. I have friends out on the road that do work on my computer. But, they're people I know fairly well.

akrvbob said:
Welcome!! I think you would do extremely well in the winter in Quartzsite and possibly in Yuma, Parker or Lake Havasu, AZ. Snowbirds gather in the winter in those areas and they are mostly older and not tech savvy--but, they have disposable income.  You'll have a big headstart being a certified tech. I think you'd do very well from November to February. I'd put up a flyer in every grocery store and in every RV park. RVers will be glad to have you come right to their rig and help them!!

You're going to tow an economy car, right! You'll need it to make the rounds.

BUT, in the summer we scatter to the wind and it gets much harder to find business because RVers don't concentrate. You'll be competing with local stores and that's hard when you are mobile.

However, it's easy to get a job in the summer as a campground host or in the tourist areas.
Bob

I agree with Bob. I'm A+ certified for computers and I always have work anywhere I go. Have a business card with your picture and contact information on it. Look clean and tidy if you plan to do tech work. If you look bad no one with disposable income will want you working on their computers and phones. Know exactly what your rates are and stick to it so it is fair for all. Carry your certification card with you.

VanGirl

The beauty of the arizona desert snowbirds, is that they come back to the same place year after year. They have the same circle of friends and they are always growing.

Why that's important to you is you really can build word of mouth advertising. You'll have to be good at what you do and good with people and patient. You'll also have to be flexible to offer many services to see which does the best.

If you can do that, you can do extremely well here.

At the RTR, I promote everybodies business or things for sale, and of course that will go for you as well. If you'd be willing to teach a tech class or two you will have an audience of at least 50 people, maybe many more. That's a good start on word of mouth advertising.

Are you familiar with the Technomadia blog? They are a model of how you can turn a blog into income and in your case also build your business.

I'd seriously reconsider towing an economy car. That's going to be a real bottleneck in a business.
Bob

akrvbob said:
"... If you'd be willing to teach a tech class or two you will have an audience of at least 50 people, maybe many more..."

Looking for clarification here. Are you suggesting he offer a class at the RTR and charge for it?

No, a free class. As you know we offer lots of free classes and I'm open to having classes on almost anything. Last year we had a class on Astronomy and sky-watching.

Everything is free at the RTR.
Bob

Unless they are already accomplished public speakers, a few free run throughs  can be considered a dress rehearsal . . .

Regards
John

akrvbob said:
The beauty of the arizona desert snowbirds, is that they come back to the same place year after year. They have the same circle of friends and they are always growing.

Why that's important to you is you really can build word of mouth advertising. You'll have to be good at what you do and good with people and patient. You'll also have to be flexible to offer many services to see which does the best.

If you can do that, you can do extremely well here.

At the RTR, I promote everybodies business or things for sale, and of course that will go for you as well. If you'd be willing to teach a tech class or two you will have an audience of at least 50 people, maybe many more. That's a good start on word of mouth advertising.

Are you familiar with the Technomadia blog? They are a model of how you can turn a blog into income and in your case also build your business.

I'd seriously reconsider towing an economy car. That's going to be a real bottleneck in a business.
Bob

Bob thank you so much for the opportunity. I will take you up on the free class/workshop idea. I used to do workshops in the Apple store in front of large crowds. I know how to give a good workshop. I have no doubt in my skills and experience. 

But here's the deal I'm not wanting to show up to RTR and Quartzsite to start a new business. My family and I going because WE need to learn from YOU all about this life style. Learning how to live simple and free. I want more than just reading about it online, I want to jump in feet first. RTR seems like the best place to do that. But if I can help someone with their tech it will be because I want to build relationships and friendships. Not a customer base. I just want to get that out there.

So big idea time. What if (not this winter but the next) I focus on Quartzsite for a couple months and build the business. Go all out. Trying everything to see what sticks (repairs, training, classes) So that maybe a couple winter months working in Quartzsite could be busy and lucrative enough that we may not need to work as hard during the summer looking for work. Even though honestly my wife and I really look forward to workamping at a Nation Forest. Something totally different than what we do now. Just have to find some thing that will allow one of us to always be with the kids.

Finally I really don't want to haul a car around. Right now it's not remotely in the budget. Is there any specific reason why you might think it would bottleneck the business? I'm not hearing any specific reasons besides me being sweaty or wearing spandex. 

Now to be fair if says things really took off in Quartzsite I can see myself buying a uber cheap car just to store some where in AZ during the summer and fall. 

All of this is getting me pumped up about this adventure. I used to just re-watch Without Bound when I wasn't feeling very motivated. This group is amazing.

well I am not saying a bike wouldn't work but I think you are not understanding BLM Long Term Visitor Areas(LTVA). not only is each area quite large but there are several different LTVA's spread over a very large area. http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcentro/recreation/ltvas.html . if you look at the LTVA that's by Quartzite AZ you will notice it's 11,400 acres. that's about 19 square miles with no paved roads. then what if you get a call from across the border in CA. Midland and Mule mountain will take you about an hour in a car but a bike, wow that would be a commute and a half. I think it would be wise to check out this year. highdesertranger

Thanks for the link. Super useful.

Yeah I won't be able to service a wide area and I really don't want to. If there was someone who was say 25 miles or more away then either I couldn't help them or they might have to come to me. Trust me. People drove 2 hours to do a 1 hour training session with me in a busy store in a mall. I'm not worried about the logistics of how my services will work or if I can provide a quality job.

But getting an idea of the area and how things work out there helps a lot.

Also, unpaved roads are preferred. They are way more fun and can be faster. But it's not about going fast. It's about the adventure. Even on a commute.

Also not saying this is practical but I have ridden a bike for 21 hours straight.

You're wise to go get an overview of the Q scene. It is a bit of a different world with its own set of challenges. I'm sure you'll handle it just fine tho ;)

You have a great plan, this is going to work out really well for you!! You may get enough business in the Quartzsite area you don't need to travel around, but if you do 90 miles to the North is Lake Havasu with tons of snowbirds and 95 miles to the south is Yuma with another ton of snowbirds.

But that's a year or two away so no worries, like you said you can get a car later if you find you need it.

I understand you're coming to the RTR this time to learn and that's a great idea!! There are so many experienced people there, it's a hothouse of learning!

See you then!
Bob