Completely unlimited & unthrottled mobile data

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may want to check out Visible. Their plan is unlimited everything including hotspot for $40 per month. They started out with a speed limit of 5 Mb/s but they recently lifted that for a limited time. Here's what they say on their site: "Unlimited data, messages, and minutes all on Verizon’s 4G LTE Network. Plus, for a limited time, we’ve removed our speed cap - free for as long as you remain a member."  It's a Verizon owned company. If you have a compatible phone you can use that and plug in the Visible SIM. They also offer a limited number of Apple and Android phones. There cheapest phone is an Android ZTE R2 for $99. If you have an old Android phone, you can trade it in and get the R2 for free. One limitation of the R2 is that only one device can connect to the hotspot at a time. I traded in an old Samsung phone for the R2 about a month ago. It has been working well. Check them out here: https://www.visible.com/

Good luck with Visable if you have a problem NO CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ALL. No phone, no e-mails, very limited text then after a few they just don't resond. I got their phone & they didn't put in a return label for mine. Said they would send one twice & never did. All worked well but the phone, it wouldn't make or recieve calls & they never responded. Good idea but if you can't get service when needed it's no good deal.

I tried emailing and calling Mofi with questions about their router but they didn't reply to my email and the guy on the phone didn't know what transmit power is, or what the transmit power for their router is.

I'm going to try a Peplink. They seem to be a much more professional manufacturer.

Tom_M said:
You may want to check out Visible. Their plan is unlimited everything including hotspot for $40 per month. They started out with a speed limit of 5 Mb/s but they recently lifted that for a limited time. Here's what they say on their site: "Unlimited data, messages, and minutes all on Verizon’s 4G LTE Network. Plus, for a limited time, we’ve removed our speed cap - free for as long as you remain a member."  It's a Verizon owned company. If you have a compatible phone you can use that and plug in the Visible SIM. They also offer a limited number of Apple and Android phones. There cheapest phone is an Android ZTE R2 for $99. If you have an old Android phone, you can trade it in and get the R2 for free. One limitation of the R2 is that only one device can connect to the hotspot at a time. I traded in an old Samsung phone for the R2 about a month ago. It has been working well. Check them out here: https://www.visible.com/
Thanks, I did check them out, it took more then an hour on the chat, but they did answer my question. It looked to me like you must download and install their app, here how it went

"Me:
Is the app required for service?

Lucas:
Good day to you this is Luke, I would be more than happy to help you

Lucas:
Yes the app will activate the Visible SIM card."

For any of you wanting to know what they look like, here are the apps for Apple and Android

Image-1.jpg

Image-2.jpg

For me that makes it a no deal, but thanks for the info.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    68.2 KB
  • Image-2.jpg
    Image-2.jpg
    53.5 KB
The app is only needed to activate the SIM. Once activated I can remove the SIM from my phone and plug it into my Verizon 6620L MiFi Jetpack and it works.

Tom_M said:
The app is only needed to activate the SIM. Once activated I can remove the SIM from my phone and plug it into my Verizon 6620L MiFi Jetpack and it works.

So gave you another "thank you" :thumbsup: I don't like apps and the permissions you have to hand over, but at the same token I guess you could purchase a used unlock phone that qualifies with Visible, load the app, activate the SIM card, then delete the app. Then just use that phone as a dedicated hot spot,,, and the occasional phone call. Or we already have a Verizon Jetpack.

So Q: Do Jetpacks need to be unlock? We paid for it outright, but think it's dedicated to Verizon.

Thanks for setting the record and me straight Tom_M

I don't know if Jetpacks are locked. I purchased mine on eBay about three years ago when people where programming them for $5/month Verizon unlimited 3G. The only thing I had to do was plug in the SIM and change the APN to "VSBLINTERNET".

Gypsy Freedom said:
sometimes a decent directional antennae will pick up a distant signal and provide good service where with a standard antennae you wont even see enough signal for a booster to boost.  i run with a weboost and an external omni antennae most all the time while driving. but often when i set up camp way back in the booster has nothing to boost yet i can often break out and set up my big directional antennae and pick up a good enough signal i can shut down the booster to conserve electric while camped

What kind of antenna are you using? Do you have a link?

Tom_M said:
I don't know if Jetpacks are locked. I purchased mine on eBay about three years ago when people where programming them for $5/month Verizon unlimited 3G. The only thing I had to do was plug in the SIM and change the APN to "VSBLINTERNET".
This is my first post, I read this post and purchased the R2 and visible today. I own a 6620l jetpack and have some questions. 

With the 6620l are you able to use more than one device at a time? What speeds are you getting?

Beaube said:
This is my first post, I read this post and purchased the R2 and visible today. I own a 6620l jetpack and have some questions. 

With the 6620l are you able to use more than one device at a time? What speeds are you getting?

Speed on both Visible and Jetpack are governed by location and a bunch of internal Visible/Verizon rules, weather, time of day and probably availability of pixie dust. I can have both running with slightly different Speednet reports. 

Visible Hotspot is limited to one device but currently some are reporting able to connect more than 1. That may not continue.

so I am dumb here. why would anybody need to connect to more than one device at a time? I mean you can only be on one device at a time so why would you need two devices connected? obviously I am missing something. highdesertranger

LAN in my van. A server and clients. Easy way to transfer files. When company needs access. I am sure there are others.

1st off I have no idea what LAN is. definition please.

also I have no idea what is chromecast to a TV is.

if I want something that is playing on my laptop to play on my TV I just Wifi it I don't even need to be connected to the internet. to do that unless I am watching something that is on the internet but that is still only one connection. I can also plug it in with a HDMI cable.

my printer works on wifi from my laptop too, but like the TV I don't need to be connected to the internet to use it.

still confused as to why someone needs to connect multiple devices at the same time.

highdesertranger

What does "wifi it" mean? That sounds like you have 2 connections. Chromecast plays your phone apps on your tv without hdmi losses. The phone and the dongle are on the same network.

I don't need to be connected to the internet. my laptop sends out a wifi signal and my printer or TV or wifi speaker picks it up. I also have a wifi transmitter that I can plug into anything and it transmits a wifi signal to whatever I want. I use this mainly for an old CD player so I can put the speakers and player anyplace I want as there is no physical connection. it's not wifi like at McDonalds it's like my own private wifi.

"Chromecast plays your phone apps on your tv without hdmi losses."

so both devices need to be hooked up to the internet? interesting. with mine I only need to hook the lap top up to the internet and anything on my laptop will play on the TV. if I don't have a connection I can still play anything on my hard drive or CD or DVD on my TV. I can do this with my wifi or with a HDMI cable.

I thought HDMI was more reliable because there is no interference with the wireless signal. I didn't know that wireless is better than a physical connection. I will have to look into that even though I rarely use the cable.

highdesertranger

HDMI never worked well for me between a tv and a laptop...but i dont use my laptop at all anymore anyway.

Someone more savvy would have to explain how youre broadcasting over wifi without a LAN setup or multiple wifi connections to one source. The only way i know to broadcast to peripherals is through bluetooth.

Or are you saying you have a smart tv and using laptop to rebroadcast wifi effectively making your computer a wifi repeater/hotspot?

All i know is chromecast sets up through google home and you have to be on same network to send it to your screen. So my mifi sees 2 devices connected.

my laptop broadcasts a signal, they called it wifi. there is a little wifi icon on my lap top that I can toggle on and off when off my laptop does not broadcast or receive any signal no matter where the signal comes from or goes. my TV, printer, and speakers can pick up this signal. I also have a little device that plugs into anything with a headphone jack, HDMI, RCA jacks and it to sends out a signal that can be picked up from any of my devices. maybe wifi is the wrong word. but I do know that I can be but don't have to be connected to the internet for it to work. I get my internet through a hot spot so that is the only device that needs to be connected.

highdesertranger

Wikipedia explains it better than I can: "A local area network (LAN) is a computer network that interconnects computers within a limited area such as a residence, school, laboratory, university campus or office building.[1] By contrast, a wide area network (WAN) not only covers a larger geographic distance, but also generally involves leased telecommunication circuits." So a WAN device is your hotspot and a LAN is all the connections in your van that talk to each other. By connecting two devices together, you have a LAN. In my case, my LAN has one connection to the WAN (internet) but all my devices can "talk" to each other.

Confused yet?