Compact Van NV200 ceiling vent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cynanne

Reaction score
Has anyone considered a fantastic fan and a ceiling vent as well? This compact van has a ceiling that does not allow the space for a fantastic fan expect toward the front- right behind the driver's seat. I need something toward the back. This is a very small van but I need ventilation and would rather use the roof vent then crack a window any day. In hot weather or when I'm boiling water, etc I would really like the fantastic fan but I want a small vent toward the back too. Would having 2 openings cause additional problems or create any issues?

I travel in a ProMaster City and had installed a MaxxAir Fan along with a VentLine Vanair vent/fan. The MaxxAir is positioned at approx. mid-roof (leaving front roof space for 100w solar panel) and Ventline fan on passenger-side back corner.

I put my maxxair near the rear of my NV200. It required cutting out one of the ribs, but I figured it was worth it. That rib didn't support the roof rack holes nor is it structural, it just supports the roof sheet metal.

Having two openings is actually ideal. I had to cut a hole under my passenger seat to get any real airflow. One front and one back would work great.

In something small as that van you do need some inlet air. Another vent near the back would help with air flow. Get a vent you can close off well sealed.

Thanks guys. I will be in hot weather more than I would like. I do not want to crack a window when I boil water. I would rather use a vent above me.

Another idea. If it is possible to open the cabin vents, part of the AC/Heater controls. That would provide air intake while the roof fan runs. A small fan could be used to circulate air inside the van, to help with the rear area. My Dodge has fresh air vents that open drivers side and passenger side floor areas. Then no extra hole in roof.

Using a tea kettle that is essentially a closed vessel, other than allowing a small amount of steam under pressure to exit the vessel, will help keep the moisture from heating water to a very minimal amount. Of course that does not improve the air circulation but it does work for keeping moisture under control at any time of the year.

Reducto said:
I put my maxxair near the rear of my NV200. It required cutting out one of the ribs, but I figured it was worth it. That rib didn't support the roof rack holes nor is it structural, it just supports the roof sheet metal.

Having two openings is actually ideal. I had to cut a hole under my passenger seat to get any real airflow. One front and one back would work great.

With 2 vents - how many solar panels would there be room for on the roof? Since you actually have an NV200 I thought I would ask. I am considering a small AlpiCool and would need some solar I think. Otherwise I would look into other options. The solar panel thing I just thought of. The vent in the back would be small and the one toward the front would be a fantastic fan. You know how small this vehicle actually is so what opinion do you have on my leftover space on the roof with this plan? Thanks in advance

I'm just repeating what I've read on the interwebs, but wouldn't a small floor vent work even better?

just remember a floor vent must be sealed 100% while driving or idling. highdesertranger

Reducto said:

I recently bought a Maxxair fan for my NV200. How is it working out for you there? I was a little worried about cutting into the ribs. Do you have a photo of it?