Colorado suggestions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ikigai

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was looking to be in Colorado in September for a few weeks.  I was originally planning on Great Sand Dunes NP and Rocky Mountain NP, but the NP campgrounds are full and it looks as it will be busy.  Should I still go and try to find camping elsewhere?  Any suggestions for more remote, yet scenic areas?    Thanks!

Those are 2 very nice spots you're going to, we're planning on going to those 2 as well. Have you tried finding free camping outside of the parks that's within a reasonable distance for you to travel to?
Good luck on your search and be safe.

Colorado is like a wonderful, huge, free, campground! Use the Roadtrippers app or FreeCampsites.net to find LOTS of great free places to camp. I love it out there! Happy adventures to you!

So are the first come first served style campgrounds a safe bet even if the NP is full? I'm concerned that I'll get there and have no place to go. I'm still new to this.

There are lots of inexpensive campgrounds in the Rockies that are not inside the NP.

Find yourself a good app, and see what is in the area where you will be traveling.

There’s always the chance you will get to a campground and find it full, then you move on to the next one.

Earlier in the day is a better bet to find a site than later, in my experience.

If u wld like to visit RMNP, I wld suggest looking for free campsites in the National Forest just outside the uncrowded western entrance to the park (Lake Granby area.) To find the free campsites, use the free ioverland app. Once camped, u can make daytrips to RMNP. To avoid crowds in the park, it is best to get there at dawn. Then u will pretty much have the park to yourself for 2-3 hours each day.

^^^ Use free campsites just outside the parks and all the parks amenities during the day, in other words sleep only outside the park and spend the rest of the time at picnic grounds, trails and day use areas.

I am currently in CO and was in Rocky Mtn NP from 7/30 - 8/8. We stayed in Moraine for 5 nights and Glacier Basin one night by merely going to recreation.gov as often as possible and grabbing cancellations(this is how we've been getting into any National Park campground...I'm currently keeping my eye out on campground in Black Canyon of the Gunnison for next week) You usually have to move around a bit but we'd rather be inside the park--if you have camping reservations you don't need a timed pass to get into the park. On the east side of the park there are numerous first-come-first-serve national forest campgrounds (we stayed at Olive Ridge for the last weekend).  The trick is to get to the FCFS campground as early as you can, before noon if possible, although it seems alot of CO school districts are going to back on 8/17 so I'm thinking campgrounds will not be so crazy during the week (weekends, I'm assuming, will always be a challenge).

If you prefer boondocking, then looking inside the Arapaho-Roosevelt NF is the way to go.

Forgot to mention that the NF CGs on the east side allows you to very easy access to the far east entrances to Rocky Mtn NP--Wild Basin,  Lilly Lake,  and Longs Peak areas. Oddly enough, you still need a timed pass for these entrances too between the hours of 9-3pm. But you can arrive outside those hours without needing one. Again, b/c the school year is starting next week, I'm assuming you wont have any problems getting in during the week. (~70% of the license plates in park when we were there were Colorado plates)

I am camped in Colorado as I write. I have been moving up and down the Leadville / Salida valley for a month and a half. Currently in Buena Vista at Americus on the 371. LOTS of campgrounds here. Almost all free. There is a nicer one close to me by the Arkansas River with toilets, BBQs and proper firerings and changing rooms for about $10 a night. Loads of room.
I prefer free as does my bank account. Message me if you want more info.

Latest posts