Colin Fletcher: backpacker, author [split from Choosing the ideal Sleeping Bag]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Days of the "Whole Earth Access" and original REI are over, too bad but many splinter manufacturers survived. Will bring my trusty old canvas Panther wall tent this year, The 70's REI 50/50
jacket is still with me and when I wear it Japanese go nuts and try to buy it. Looking kinda funky with years of camp fire grit and dust still keeps me warm.

Did loads of it as a kid in Boy Scouts. Still have my pack frame and Yucca Pack stowed away.
My pack is in better shape than this one in the photo,  but after I was at Philmont,  I put all that
stuff away as it was "off to College time". 

scout-backpack.jpg

Wanted to get back into it in the late 90's but there was so much Lymes Disease being reported
that I chose to stay out of the woods and off the trails.  I know of a number of people here who have contracted
it.   Some of them believe that their Dog or Cat may have brought them into the home.

So if I camp in my Van I'll stay where the grass is short and away from taller grasses and brush. (which I understand are the more common habitats of Lymes Ticks)

I'm still a huge fan of REI, especially REI products with their lifetime, no-questions-asked warranty. What could be better than that!
Bob

My problem is having to take it back, total waste of time. Charge me more but make it road worthy.
I bought my 50/50 jacket over 30 years ago I would not think of returning it, ever.....

I guess I've been lucky, nearly every REI product I've bought has been high quality and endured really well. I highly recommend them.

One difference may be that most backpackers are looking for very light items and you must give up some reliability for the very low weight. But, you can get heavier items that last longer if you want.

To me it's a huge blessing the astounding array of choices we have of extremely high quality products in many ranges of weight and prices.

I think this is the golden age of outdoor gear!
Bob

I also read all of Mr Fletcher's works.  Good stuff. 

akrvbob: sadly, the REI return policy has changed.

Latest posts