co2 and propane detectors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virgil Jones

Reaction score
In researching a co2/dangerous gas detectors (co2/propane) I am finding only the kind that plugs into an a/c outlet and has a 9volt battery backup. 
 What do people use in a van with a solar d/c system.  I will have an inverter but would prefer not to run it 24/7 for the detector.  I can't find a 12volt d/c detector.  
And, I also can't seem to find ones that are just battery operated.
Any experience or suggestions?
Thanks

Virgil Jones said:
In researching a co2/dangerous gas detectors (co2/propane) I am finding only the kind that plugs into an a/c outlet and has a 9volt battery backup. 
 What do people use in a van with a solar d/c system.  I will have an inverter but would prefer not to run it 24/7 for the detector.  I can't find a 12volt d/c detector.  
And, I also can't seem to find ones that are just battery operated.
Any experience or suggestions?
Thanks

There are a number of RV 12v powered propane detectors on amazon.  It looks like in the RV world combo co2/propane or other dangerous gas units may not exist.  You may have to buy more than one unit to get the coverage that you seek.

I don't use a propane detector but do use a fire and carbon monoxide combo detector that is battery operated.

I got a CO detector that runs on 3 AA batteries at Wally World.

I have propane detectors that run off my batteries in two of my units. I would think RV shops have them I bought one on line the other came with the vehicle. I don't have Co detectors but if I was worried about it I would likely get the battery operated ones like my smoke detectors

I got a cheap 12v carbon monoxide/combustible gas detector on ebay. It couldn't be more worthless than the 3-AA CO detector I got at walmart than frequently went off before I pulled the batteries. I think the house ones don't like dust and vibration.