CO detector keeps giving false alarms

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poot_traveller

Reaction score
It will randomly go off and give big reading above 200ppm.  I've even seen it as high as 400ppm.

Nothing in a camper gives off CO apart from the camper it's self through exhaust fumes.

Anyone else had problems with CO detectors giving false alarms?

The detector may be bad. They are only rated for 10 years I think. My propane detector will beep if it gets too cold or the house battery gets too low.

if its a new detector return it to the store.

B and C said:
The detector may be bad. They are only rated for 10 years I think. My propane detector will beep if it gets too cold or the house battery gets too low.

Yeah this one is only a few month old. I'll see how much more random beeping I can tolerate before I go out and buy a new one.

maki2 said:
if its a new detector return it to the store.

Typical me, I don't keep receipts. It's only cheap anyway, I'll probably try another brand and see if I have the same problem.

If you have the same problem with another one, it sounds like you may have an elevated CO level.

Take it outside and see if it still acts weird.
Low battery?
Possible contamination of the detector element?

This is a common occurence.  Even in a newish one.

Mine was a combination RV CO/propane detector.  It would alarm hours after any sprays used outside near that wall.  Scented candles, wasp sprays, cooking sprays, almost anything would sometimes set it off, sometimes hours later. I KNEW it wasn't propane or CO since I had turned the propane off at the tanks (which were outside and 20 ft away) several months before and was running everything off electricity at the pole.

Get a new one.

Never run just one detector!

Never run two from the same lot number!

Prefer to run detectors from two different manufacturers!

The ones that clip on to you for industrial applications seem to be made to a higher standard and can clip beside where you sleep!

SD

abnorm said:
I'll ask …..Is the Camper Engine running when the detector goes off ?

The detector goes off at any random time, with or without the engine running.

wayne49 said:
Take it outside and see if it still acts weird.
Low battery?
Possible contamination of the detector element?

It might go off 2-3 times per day for 30 seconds or so, then stop. Now it goes off while reading 0 ppm's.

I'll change out batteries and see what that does.

Stargazer said:
This is a common occurence.  Even in a newish one.

Mine was a combination RV CO/propane detector.  It would alarm hours after any sprays used outside near that wall.  Scented candles, wasp sprays, cooking sprays, almost anything would sometimes set it off, sometimes hours later. I KNEW it wasn't propane or CO since I had turned the propane off at the tanks (which were outside and 20 ft away) several months before and was running everything off electricity at the pole.

Get a new one.

I'll replace the batteries first, even though I don't believe the problem is low battery. If that doesn't work then I'll get a new one.

SheepDog said:
Never run just one detector!

Never run two from the same lot number!

Prefer to run detectors from two different manufacturers!

The ones that clip on to you for industrial applications seem to be made to a higher standard and can clip beside where you sleep!

SD

I've got two smoke detectors, I guess two CO detectors wouldn't hurt.

Some even get one wired and the other on rechargable batteries.

Free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

The world is fully populated with idiots.

I don't have a CO detector or a smoke detector.

Most of the time I stay in Florida where heat is nice to be comfortable, not needed to survive.  My van's heater doesn't heat so there's no point in running the engine other than to drive.  I don't use the Mr Heater Little Buddy while sleeping.  I have many more rationalizations.

Trebor English said:
The world is fully populated with idiots.

I don't have a CO detector or a smoke detector.
Yeah, so my free advice is for OP to get another CO detector and see if the same thing happens. If so, then sell the rig. 

Also, I believe you can usually tell if one you have works (assuming it's one that isn't going off all the time) by holding it near the engine exhaust pipe for a few seconds.