Cleaning dishes with cider vinager

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not disputing that companies are selling concentrated acetic acid and calling it some kind of "vinegar".

But actual vinegar is a **naturally produced** solution from the fermentation of ethanol by specialized bacteria.

Further concentrating of the acetic acid through industrial processes can create stronger solutions, but beware they do get dangerous pretty quickly.

Plus gets lots more expensive.

Regular cleaning vinegar, 4-7% at under $2 for a big jug is just fine

What you all need is a chemical supply house. Vinegar-the-condiment is a 3% to 6% dilution of acetic acid by volume into water. Just get the strongest acetic acid you can from Fischer Scientific or Carolina Biological Supply and a calculator and make what you need at the time rather than using precious storage space on anything pre-diluted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If you want higher concentration and cost is a big issue, DIY by taking normal vinegar and partially freezing the solution.. The acid freezes before water does.

Just be very careful with the concentrated stuff.

The product I linked is very clearly labeled grain vinegar. Not methanol. Not acetic acid. Grain Vinegar is made by bacteria eating alcohol. Not by some chemical process. It is labeled vinegar, and that counts in the USA. Acid freezes before water, I don't think so. You may be referring to Jersey Lightning, hard-cider frozen to slush and strained. The water freezes out of the alcohol. A popular drink around this Nest Of Rebel Pirates during the late 1700's.

Weight said:
The product I linked is very clearly labeled grain vinegar.
not sure which you mean

> Acid freezes before water, I don't think so.

Acetic acid's freezing point is above the freezing point of water. Just a fact, not a question of debate

> Grain Vinegar is made by bacteria eating alcohol. Not by some chemical process.

Yes, in which case it cannot get higher than say 7-8%

Further concentration of the acetic acid content comes only from distillation or straight industrial processing.

Again, basic facts of science.

And if you think the US has higher standards of consumer labelling than other developed nations, that has not been correct for many decades

Dingfelder said:
I've cleaned with pure vinegar, but it's kind of like ammonia -- you're fine plenty of the time, but once in a while you get in range of a really solid whiff and it makes your eyes roll up into the back of your head.
LOL now I'll see that every time I smell vinegar...

The Dire Wolfess

rosiemartinez1211 said:
I use a baking soda/vinegar mix for many cleaning jobs. But will probably just use white vinegar & water when camping. Never even realized there's a cleaning vinegar.
That sounds like a volcano! Adding base (baking soda) to acid produces water. Very expensive bubble water indeed!

The Dire Wolfess

I use what ever vinegar is available and mix with some water -
spray it on dish and wipe clean-
if pan is greasy I add a drop of soap to pan -
simple easy