cleaning dentures in a grey water tank?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morkani

Reaction score
is the denture paste ok after it gets diluted by the water? (to rinse down the drain to the grey water tank with everything else?

I have no tanks to speak of but I imagine denture paste is a whole lot better than what is in my  shower water in a grey tank.

Is denture paste dissolvable in water is the question. If it dissolves in water then it should be just fine in the grey tank after it is dissolved.

An interesting qUestion indeed. I don’t think I can answer it. Perhaps someone else can sink their teeth into it. I thought she dropped your teeth in the gray water tank. That would be a heck of a lot better than dropping them in a black water tank.

B and C said:
Is denture paste dissolvable in water is the question.  If it dissolves in water then it should be just fine in the grey tank after it is dissolved.

I've noticed in the past that it's viscosity is reduced if i accidently left it in water at home overnight which made me wonder if it was ok, but if it sticks to the walls of the plumbing I suppose it could start to gunk up? I always wondered though, even at home.

Experiment time. Dissolve some in a glass of water and see what happens over time.

It may well flush out when you empty the tanks but don't know. You will also have to kinda figure out how much you will be putting in there.

Might be safer to just throw out with the trash.

A bit of research revealed that really hot water dissolves the paste. So put the kettle on and clean them using really hot water to soak them in when you begin to clean them. let the hot water do the work for you. But I would suspect commercial cleaners will also be formulated to dissolve the paste otherwise you could not get it off the dentues.

Being dyslexic is entertaining some times.
I read your title as asking if it was ok to soak dentures in your grey water tank
:p

I only use bottled spring water with polident type tablet.

So not dyslexia.
The title specifically says "cleaning dentures in a grey water tank".

I figured OP meant something other than what the title stated, but read the first post to make sure.

Now what the OP needs (and myself as well) is a way to edit the thread title, then induce a Mandela effect in those who retain the the memory of the original title.

if a thread title needs to be edited then the original poster needs to get a hold of a mod and let them know what they want.

highdesertranger

Come on HDR, it is more fun to read with the misunderstandings. And, most answers are helpful.

wayne49 said:
So not dyslexia.
The title specifically says "cleaning dentures in a grey water tank".

I figured OP meant something other than what the title stated, but read the first post to make sure.

Now what the OP needs (and myself as well) is a way to edit the thread title, then induce a Mandela effect in those who retain the the memory of the original title.

Lol, soz 'bout that :p, I figured post was answered with the (hot water) solution so i didn't bother asking HDR to adjust title, admittedly though, poorly written title :p (will denture paste clog up a grey water tank?) probably woulda been better :p

B and C said:
What happens when the water cools?  Does it clump and/or become sticky?
I dont think denture pate is made from magnetic particles. It will remain dispersed in the H2O.

If denture adhesive was water soluble it would be dissolved by saliva in the mouth which is 99.5% water, and it wouldn't be capable of bonding dentures for hours. Water helps to carry away the material when cleaning dentures but it doesn't dissolve. 

Just for fun I put some water at 78 degrees F into a clear container then squirted some Fixodent Plus into the water. I've been agitating it trying to get the Fixodent to dissolve but it stays intact. As I shake it, some globs stay suspended but more of the material is sticking to the walls of the container and spreading its contact area which is exactly what a bead on dentures does in the mouth. But it is not dissolving/dispersing, so it seems like it would stick to the walls of the RVs tank.

Next test might be to squirt dome detergent in and see what happens.

bonvanroulez said:
If denture adhesive was water soluble it would be dissolved by saliva in the mouth which is 99.5% water, and it wouldn't be capable of bonding dentures for hours. Water helps to carry away the material when cleaning dentures but it doesn't dissolve. 

Just for fun I put some water at 78 degrees F into a clear container then squirted some Fixodent Plus into the water. I've been agitating it trying to get the Fixodent to dissolve but it stays intact. As I shake it, some globs stay suspended but more of the material is sticking to the walls of the container and spreading its contact area which is exactly what a bead on dentures does in the mouth. But it is not dissolving/dispersing, so it seems like it would stick to the walls of the RVs tank.

Next test might be to squirt dome detergent in and see what happens.
 78 degree's doesn't sound like it's hot, I imagined he was talking about something above body temperature since that's the pastes "normal' habitat I wonder if 100+ degrees would make any difference, since our mouth is 98 degree(ish). (my DP does loosen quite a lot in my mouth after a day of wearing them, but there's still "globs"

This brings up a question. Just how much dental paste do you use? Before I got my $5000 partial , i used a bit of fixadent on my plates. No more than a navy bean size glob per day or at best two times a day.