clean water suggestions, sources, tips, etc

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinker

Reaction score
since it's so vital and the question pops up in so many threads i almost think it should be its own forum, but then, how many threads could there be on it?<div>for now i figured i'd just begin a dedicated thread.</div><div><br></div><div>someone (pondputz i believe) has posted a spring website and perhaps that could be found and posted here.</div><div><br></div><div>questions:</div><div>how do you get water? buy? haul? steal?</div><div><br></div><div>how safe have you found rivers and springs if you use them and how do you treat the water?</div><div><br></div><div>reccomendations for filters, tablets?</div><div>container systems? (i know this is a big one)</div><div><br></div><div>and of course, conservation.</div>

When I went camping last year, I took 4 gallons of distilled water (which were 88 cents each). When I packed up everything to go home, 5 days later, I had a gallon and a half left!<br><br>When I cook, I use the bare minimum...no more than 2 cups to make soup, no more than 9 ounces for hot drinks (8 ounces for the drink, 1 ounce to account for steam/evaporation when it heats up).<br>I only used 1 gallon for cleaning in the whole 5 days. I got one of those pump spray things, like you use to spray weeds with. I used that to rinse off dishes and wash my hands...it uses much less than running your hands under a typical stream of water!<br>Since I was gone less than a week, I just took a shower when I got home. I'm sure the sprayer could work for that too, though!<br><br>Maybe if I had to depend on water to live with long term then gallon jugs for 88 cents might not be the best option. River water with some sort of purification would probably be best (less expensive and more to use)<br><br>

I thought you were supposed to let chlorinated water sit (with some sort of vent, like a gallon jug without the lid on) for 24 hours to get all the chlorine out. At least that's what you do for aquariums, as the fish will die if ANY chlorine is in it. I figure if it kills fish, I don't want to be drinking it!<br><br>

as per the boiling, the ny dec says water should be boiled for five minutes to prevent giardia infection. backbacker says 0 minutes. i go with 0.<div><br></div><div>generally the closer to the source the less likely the chances for toxins and nonbio contaminants. also, the clearer the water the better, if you have the choice.</div><div><br></div><div>my idea is to use simple coffee filters over the mouth of the collection container when emptying into the boiling container. not perfect, but better than nothing. a backpacker filter is just a bit too much for my few excursions out right now.</div>

&nbsp;I used to always catch rainwater off the deck of my boat for years and it was nice to keep the tank topped up that way a lot of the time. Then you don't have to be so frugal with washing. <br><br>This filter setup worked well for me- http://www.monolithic.com/stories/a-practical-life-sustaining-water-filter&nbsp; They're only about $25 each and are a .2 micron carbon/ceramic filter<br><br>&nbsp;Been too busy/lazy to set up the van for this yet so I've been catching wash water in my awning and paying .35 a gallon for drinking water at the vending machines (Walmart usually has these too and hides them in the back of the grocery section)<br>

page not found, kev.<div><br></div><div>i've thought of rigging up some sort of collection system for van dewelling. funnelling into a five gallon water jug or such. there must me some particularly 'food friendly' material to expand the funneling ability.</div>

Here are places I get water in order of most common first:<br><ol><li>Gas stations. Most have a spigot-just be sure it is potable.</li><li>Vending machines-common across the Southwest and Wal-Marts.</li><li>Rest areas almost always have water spigots.</li><li>National Forest Ranger and BLM Stations almost always let you get water.</li><li>Go into a convience store with a 1 gallon jug and ask if you can get water. I've never been refused.</li><li>Almost all public restrooms have faucets. Use a Water Bandit with a short hose to fill your water bottles.</li><li>RV Parks sometimes have a spigot for public use. No harm in stopping and asking, all they can do is say no.</li><li>I've never done it but I've been told that Fire Stations will let you fill up with water. Worth stopping and asking</li><li>Creeks for water I filter.<br></li></ol>Four things I always carry:<br><ol><li>A white water hose made for RVs. They are specifically made for potable water. At least 10 feet long so I can fill 5 gallon jugs in the van without lifting it out. When done I screw the two ends together so it stays clean</li><li>A Water Bandit.&nbsp; It goes over the end of the faucet and lets you fill a jug from a sink when the jug is too big to go under the faucet. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-22484-R...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1339265949&amp;sr=8-1</li><li>A backpackers water filter (mine is made by MSR, but there are lot of good brands) for when there is nothing else.</li><li>Bleach, to bleach my water jugs. Sometimes I will put bleach water in the hose as well just to be sure nothing is growing in there.</li></ol>Bob <br>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Good info, thanks Bob.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Rae</p>

Churches just about all have an outside water source and bout all have good clean&nbsp;regularly tested water being a public facility. just go in the day! i have made arrangments with pastors before to get all the water i needed anytime i needed.

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469); -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;">A white water hose made for RVs. They are specifically made for potable water. At least 10 feet long so I can fill 5 gallon jugs in the van without lifting it out. When done I screw the two ends together so it stays clean</span>
<br /><br />A very simple technique which never occurred to me, nor have I seen posted elsewhere.&nbsp;<br /><br />Good idea.