Class C vs truck camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oman

Reaction score
I was wondering what some thoughts were on these two. A class c would be more space, but a truck camper could go more off the beaten path. The truck might get a little better gas, but probably not by much. I know people are going to say that it all comes down to me, but I already know that, lol. Just wanted to get some advice from more experienced people. I hope to have one, or maybe both, by the end of 2013, when I turn 18, even if they need a lot of work. There is no better way to learn than by doing.<div><br><div>Cheers, and may we meet someday on the road.</div></div>

Personally, I think a high-top conversion van is a better choice than either of those. If you want more comfort than a van can give, then I think a Class B van is a better choice. Either one will give you MUCH better mpg than a class C or truck camper. <br><br>The one reason to get a truck camper is if you want 4x4 or to get far back in the backcountry. The one reason to get a class C is if you are going to tow an economy car&nbsp; and park the class C most of the time and drive the car. Bob<br>

Mpg aside, either a C or a TC will have decent-size holding tanks and a lot more storage than most B vans, bigger refrigerators and more room for solar panels.&nbsp; Better for dry camping, anyway, IMO. <br>

I was thinking about a class c because I have seen them with layouts that have the bed above the cab, and another in the back. If I got that setup, I could take out the back bed and have it for a work space, instead of using the main living area, if you will. I am not sure how many are like that, or how long it would be, but it would be neat.&nbsp;I thought about getting a plain van and doing my own conversion, but I can get a class c or a truck and a camper for the price of most vans around here. Also, I have always wanted to sleep above the cab, and I have no idea why. Just one of those things. I still haven't found a job yet, so right now I just look once in a while to see what there is, and I will make whatever I can get work, but I like to brainstorm ideas. The nice thing with a C is that I could probably put another hot water tank in there somewhere, because I like long showers, but I also like to get off the beaten path, which is something a truck would handle much better.

You can usually find a better value on used class C lower mileage on the vehicle<div>So you end up with more life left in it. My uncle just picked up a 1990 class a Winnie with 18k miles all original for only 3500. It's 22 yrs old but it's just like new hard to find deals like that on a truck and camper combo. I think he got an exceptional deal but still there ate generally more low mileage class Cs on Craigslist for very reasonable starting prices. That's my 2 cents...</div>

These are some floorplans of class C's with the kind of setup I am thinking of.

This was my dilemma as well. For me I love the bed above the cab. As well as the pass through from the cab to the living area.<br /><br />Form there I need the rear space as a work area for my bicycles. Also its nice to have a little more room.<br /><br />Look into the Toyota motorhomes. Thats the path that I am now taking.<br /><br />Good luck on your nomadic path!

We had a B. with two of us getting ready for long term travel, we almost bought a C but changed our minds . It was just too big for us. The truck camper was a perfect fit. The gasoline B and the diesel TC get about the same gas mileage - a small edge to the diesel. Diesel currently costs more. The diesel 4x4 will go some places the B couldn't, which went many places a C couldn't. We pulled a VW with the B and the TC. No problems. We just enjoyed driving the Beetle sometimes.

A C is for living in. A B is for living out of. The TC is a nice compromise. We like being outdoors, but don't feel cooped up in the TC, as we occasionally did in the B! I'd there's several straight days of rain.

Just some thoughts.

I have a 22 foot class c. &nbsp;The cabover, although usable as a bed, is used by me for storing some portable solar panels, an inflatable kayak and a couple other small things that are fairly light. &nbsp;I used to keep my folding bicycle up there. &nbsp;I don't have a bed in the back as the kitchen is back there. &nbsp;I have a couch that folds open to a bed. &nbsp;It works for me. &nbsp;The mileage does suck. &nbsp;I have been toying with going to a class B or a TC or something that gets better mileage.

My opinions of TC has recently changed 100%. i have some dear friends in a huge TC on a 4x4 diesel Ford duallie and they came to camp with us here in the Sierra NF. I told them they would have no problem getting in here. I was totally wrong, they just barely made it in on the road and then when they got into camp there was no way they could get into the place I had in mind for them. It meant crossing over a granite slab that I have had a Toyota Prius, Astro and Class B across. They couldn't cross it. They were too long. When the front wheels started up the slab, the rear jacks high-centered. <br /><br />They bought it to boondock the backcountry (they own freecampsites.org) and it has been terrible for them; so bad they are selling it and just bought a Chevy Express cargo van with AWD. So if anyone is looking to buy an 11 foot Arctic Fox with a Slide-out on a 2001 Ford 1 ton 4x4 duallie with a 7.3 diesel, I know one for sale. If you really want to get into the backcountry, you want a short camper, preferably 8 foot. But even then they are really tall, he had to go up on the roof and cut off branches to get in on my road. <br /><br />Next week I have another friend with a Class C coming. I can directly compare how well they do. Bob

Well, it all depends on the truck and the camper. I have a 9 1/2' camper on the back of my F-250 and have no problems getting around in some pretty hairy territory. It's all about making&nbsp; wise choices.

Latest posts