Class C towing a Jeep Liberty

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterRoger

Reaction score
Anyone have any input in the capability of older Class C's towing a Jeep. Do the 460's or 454's have enough guts? Heard many problems with the V10's.

Tried to see if I could go with a bumper pull hard side of a decent size to pull with the Liberty, but the Liberty 4X4 has such a short wheelbase (106") and only a 3.7 Liter Engine. 

The Jeep is already setup to be towed, was towed by previous owner with a 40 ft Diesel pusher. Maybe I should sell it and buy a 3/4 ton PU, but I really would like to keep it. 

Don't have a budget to buy something new, will have to be an older Class C. 

Any ideas?

yes the older big block class C's should pull it. you might want to look into the problems with older class C's. highdesertranger

I can't speak about them all, but my old 1987 Class A Itasca had the Chevy 454 with RV cams (the manufacturer paid the fines) and it was a HOSS! It also had two large auxiliary electric pusher fans on the front of the radiator, behind the grille. 

It had the 3 speed automatic and would pull a good size trailer with no problems at all, even in the mountains.

Of course, it only got 7-8 miles per gallon at around 60-65 mph. Without a trailer it would get about 10 mpg. 

But it would do the job and never complained, never overheated.

tx2sturgis said:
"...But it would do the job and never complained, never overheated."

Texas, being Xmas, I'm not 'gonna bit on this juicy lead.  Consider it a gift, if you will.

BTW, I heard your disdainful remarks recently re 'stick blenders' & I am here to tell you
that without a 'stick blender' I could never have managed whipping to stiff peaks enough
meringue topping for a dozen lemon pies today.  Not to mention its' utility in creating
instant frozen margaritas!

Merry Xmas, Texas!
:p Charlotte

Apparently there is a procedure you need to follow in order to flat tow a 4wd Jeep Liberty. Everything I'm reading says you either need to do this whole shifting into and out of the different gears and transfer case or you'll booger it up. Other folks are saying you need to take the drive shaft out. There is also a procedure you have to follow to take it out of tow mode as well. Not going to post links since there are so many but a quick google search on "can I flat tow a Jeep Liberty" will take you to the various sites I'm seeing. After reading all the issues I believe I would not flat tow one. I'd opt for a trailer to tow it on or find something more fitting for flat towing.

Motrukdriver said:
Apparently there is a procedure you need to follow in order to flat tow a 4wd Jeep Liberty.  Everything I'm reading says you either need to do this whole shifting into and out of the different gears and transfer case or you'll booger it up.  Other folks are saying you need to take the drive shaft out.  There is also a procedure you have to follow to take it out of tow mode as well.  Not going to post links since there are so many but a quick google search on "can I flat tow a Jeep Liberty" will take you to the various sites I'm seeing.  After reading all the issues I believe I would not flat tow one.  I'd opt for a trailer to tow it on or find something more fitting for flat towing.

It has Select Trac which has a neutral position for the transfer case. Setup for towing!!  Also it doesn't have the locking steering wheel so no need to keep switch turned on. 

My concern will the older big blocks have the balls to tow anything?

Good, the Jeep should be fine then and I'm gonna say that if the big block is running right then you might not even feel that Jeep back there.  I'd do some "test" tows before I set out on long distances just so you can see if there are any issues you might need to address and of course to get the feel of how your rig will handle.  50 miles out and back, etc...   I wouldn't tow my Jeep Grand Cherokee but that is only because it is a heavy heavy vehicle.  It's actually gonna be my tow vehicle for a travel trailer.  Dang thing has a 6500 pound tow capacity and 1000 pound payload capacity.  I sooooo love Jeeps.  Good luck in your search for a class C.  If you are on Facebook, here is a link that might help you locate your dream class C.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/1661014084161857/

with my 1978 vintage 454 in my 1 ton 4x4 service bed truck, I routinely pull 15,000lb+ combined weight. not saying you are going to get the best fuel economy or break any land speed records but it will pull it. highdesertranger