Class C or Class A for $15000 - $20000?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blars a rubber roof can last up to 15 years? I thought the lifespan was far less

ldmccain said:
Class c pros and cons
Big - can carry lots of stuff
Big - can walk around inside
Big - will wear you out driving
Big - cannot get very far off the paved road
Big - can stay in many campgrounds
Big - can have lots of solar and batteries
Big - hard to park when shopping
Big - hard to heat and cool
:)
Yes I like mine but will be looking hard for a regular 1 ton van or truck shortly.

Wandering Larry
Thanks, Wandering Larry
That was a very helpful list from someone with experience living in a Class C. I guess the main reason that I was interested in a Class C was so that I could walk around inside. I'll try to find a high roof van, but they seem scarce.
I've just sold some of my stuff, but given most of my stuff away to Goodwill. What I have left will fit into my Camry. I don't want to but a lot more "stuff" so I don't need storage in the Class C -- just the walking around part.  :)  
But for me, it appears that there are more negatives that outweigh the positives with a Class C. Like you, I think I'll look for a 1 ton van. I've been reading a bit about 1-ton vans, but don't know much about them. Please let me know what you are going to look for in one. Thanks.

It's hard to give somebody else advice on what rig will be the "best" for them.
You won't know what is right for you till you get some experience.

It's not uncommon to buy the wrong one first and then change to a better fit.
Asking a bunch of questions will help a lot but you have to be the one that makes the decision.

Your level of income has an effect on what you CAN get but what you need to be comfortable with the least cost might be something completely different.

I went from a pickup truck to a class A and then to a class C , now I am thinking the smallest I can be comfortable in but the all electric vehicles sure are tempting (maybe I should start saving,,,,for A Tesla Model X.........................)

I was looking at high tops, then thought about wind blowing me around on the interstate. They are still in the running just lower down. Just started browsing military trucks.
I really want maintenance records on whatever I find.
So far I've been able to repair everything I've owned. Inner I-beam bushings I will pay to have done from now on. :)
Even with the rv when I'm not working I want to be outside. A regular height van or truck shell will be lived out of the same way, just with a lot less stuff.
Spent 27 days a few years ago traveling on my motorcycle. Only a couple of days I really wanted to be inside something. Even then I just moved to where it wasn't raining on me. A little more stuff than what I could carry in the bike should be more than enough stuff.

Wandering Larry

rvpopeye said:
Asking a bunch of questions will help a lot but you have to be the one that makes the decision.

^^^^^This right here ^^^^^
My thinking in buying a 23 year old Class C is that it's pretty much fully depreciated - as long as I keep it in one piece it will be worth nearly what I paid for it ($7k) for a few more years.  I've never had an RV before so this is my starter kit to learn on.  
I've had it only a few months and only a few opportunities to take it out of the driveway but I've learned what I must have and what I don't want, and what falls in between.  I spend a lot of time outside when camping but I like to escape to my own little bubble and look out at the world.
I've learned that I love having lots of windows, my own toilet, a place to sit with a table or desk, a place to sleep and a stove to cook on.  Everything else is extra.  I've also learned that driving something ten feet tall and eight feet wide is a pain in the azz and I wouldn't want to drive it every day.  
If I could put my minivan and my 22' motor home into a blender I could make the perfect vehicle - for me.  So I play with the motorhome on weekends and plan to build out a full size van for full timing when I retire in a few years.

ldmccain said:
I was looking at high tops, then thought about wind blowing me around on the interstate. They are still in the running just lower down.  Just started browsing military trucks.
I really want maintenance records on whatever I find.
So far I've been able to repair everything I've owned.  Inner I-beam bushings I will pay to have done from now on. :)
Even with the rv when I'm not working I want to be outside.  A regular height van or truck shell will be lived out of the same way, just with a lot less stuff.  
Spent 27 days a few years ago traveling on my motorcycle.  Only a couple of days I really wanted to be inside something.  Even then I just moved to where it wasn't raining on me.  A little more stuff than what I could carry in the bike should be more than enough stuff.  

Wandering Larry

Thanks for more info, Larry. I think the Class C sounds too big for me to drive, and the point of going on the road for me is to be in Nature as much as possible. So I've pretty much ruled out Class C.  I hadn't thought of the high roof van being a problem with wind. I'd hate to give up the option of walking around inside, but I might have to. I'm still leaning toward a passenger van because, as I said in another post, I need lots of light. Thanks again.

rvpopeye said:
It's hard to give somebody else advice on what rig will be the "best" for them.
You won't know what is right for you till you get some experience.

Your level of income has an effect on what you CAN get but what you need to be comfortable with the least cost might be something completely different.

I went from a pickup truck to a class A and then to a class C , now I am thinking the smallest I can be comfortable in but the all electric vehicles sure are tempting (maybe I should start saving,,,,for A Tesla Model X.........................)
It is very true that it's hard to advise someone else. You sound happy with your class C.  Once I'm on the road I'll have lots of time to check out vehicles and see what feels right for me. Who knows? I might find that the Camry is enough for me, just as some people live out of a Prius.  :D

mayble said:
^^^^^This right here ^^^^^
My thinking in buying a 23 year old Class C is that it's pretty much fully depreciated - as long as I keep it in one piece it will be worth nearly what I paid for it ($7k) for a few more years.  I've never had an RV before so this is my starter kit to learn on.  
I've had it only a few months and only a few opportunities to take it out of the driveway but I've learned what I must have and what I don't want, and what falls in between.  I spend a lot of time outside when camping but I like to escape to my own little bubble and look out at the world.
I've learned that I love having lots of windows, my own toilet, a place to sit with a table or desk, a place to sleep and a stove to cook on.  Everything else is extra.  I've also learned that driving something ten feet tall and eight feet wide is a pain in the azz and I wouldn't want to drive it every day.  
If I could put my minivan and my 22' motor home into a blender I could make the perfect vehicle - for me.  So I play with the motorhome on weekends and plan to build out a full size van for full timing when I retire in a few years.
Mayble, 
Like me, you need lots of windows.  :D  It helps me to know that you wouldn't want to drive it every day. I think I'd find it too much also. And thanks for reminding me that the purpose of my journey is to be out in Nature as much as possible. The van sounds more and more like what I need. Thanks for your help.

:). Yes very difficult to advise others on what they need.
I can only talk about what I'm doing and my issues.
I would advise renting one of whatever for a weekend and test running for at least 2 nights. Whichever one seems best rent again for a week.

Wandering Larry

ArtW said:
Blars a rubber roof can last up to 15 years? I thought the lifespan was far less
I'm no expert on them, I never had one. (Mine has a fiberglass roof.) But I think it depends on how they were stored. There are coatings to extend the life a couple of years, making the mess to remove to replace worse. The 12-15 year old rubber roofs I looked at were overdue for replacement.

Loving Arizona said:
Almost There,

Thanks so much. That was very helpful. It helps to get clear about what I want to use the van for, and I certainly can't afford big oil change bills and repair bills. And I want to boondock. I'm by myself, and I want to travel to fairly remote places, so  perhaps I should look at vans. I want low cost; good cooking facilities; comfort and the ability to get up and go quickly. Sounds more like a van.

You sound very experienced with boondocking life . What do you drive?

I'm full-timing in Lady Arabella, a 2002 GMC Savana 2500 with a 24" fiberglass high top.

It took many months of cogitating to figure out what I wanted in the way of a rig. I considered every possible combination except for a Class A...had one, won't have another. In the end I went back to my roots. I've had vans since 1975 except for few short months without one and a year with a sports car!!

In the end I chose the van based on its' ability to get me back in where I wanted to go, gas mileage, ease of driving and maintenance costs.

By building my own interior I was able to achieve the open concept I like, more storage than you'll ever find in a Class B and a neat interior (if I do say so myself... :D :D ) Build thread on Lady Arabella is here:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Building-Arabella

I did do a lot of parking lot boondocking when I was living on the road for 14 years - I tried to settle down 9 years ago and went back on the road full time last November. The 14 year stint was a whole lot different - I was working my way around the eastern seaboard of the US making my living doing art/craft shows and markets. This time out I learned a whole new way of boondocking thanks to the RTR, Bob and a wonderful bunch of friends I met in AZ.

Edit to add: someone here mentioned the supposed problem with the high top in a cross wind - yes you feel it more than you would in a regular height van but not a whole lot more and not enough to ever make it a deal breaker IMO. Heck my Astro and Safari mini vans had the same problem in a cross wind. If the wind is THAT strong that you're having a problem, pull over and wait it out same as you would in a dust storm, snow storm or hail.

Almost There said:
I'm full-timing in Lady Arabella, a 2002 GMC Savana 2500 with a 24" fiberglass high top.

It took many months of cogitating to figure out what I wanted in the way of a rig. I considered every possible combination except for a Class A...had one, won't have another. In the end I went back to my roots. I've had vans since 1975 except for few short months without one and a year with a sports car!!

In the end I chose the van based on its' ability to get me back in where I wanted to go, gas mileage, ease of driving and maintenance costs.

By building my own interior I was able to achieve the open concept I like, more storage than you'll ever find in a Class B and a neat interior (if I do say so myself... :D :D ) Build thread on Lady Arabella is here:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Building-Arabella

I did do a lot of parking lot boondocking when I was living on the road for 14 years - I tried to settle down 9 years ago and went back on the road full time last November. The 14 year stint was a whole lot different - I was working my way around the eastern seaboard of the US making my living doing art/craft shows and markets. This time out I learned a whole new way of boondocking thanks to the RTR, Bob and a wonderful bunch of friends I met in AZ.

Edit to add: someone here mentioned the supposed problem with the high top in a cross wind - yes you feel it more than you would in a regular height van but not a whole lot more and not enough to ever make it a deal breaker IMO. Heck my Astro and Safari mini vans had the same problem in a cross wind. If the wind is THAT strong that you're having a problem, pull over and wait it out same as you would in a dust storm, snow storm or hail.

Almost There,
Thanks for posting pics of your van.  I am so impressed with all the great work that you did. It gave me some ideas. Again, great job on the van!

ldmccain said:
:). Yes very difficult to advise others on what they need.  
I can only talk about what I'm doing and my issues.
I would advise renting one of whatever for a weekend and test running for at least 2 nights.   Whichever one seems best rent again for a week.    

Wandering Larry

Good advice.  :shy: