Claim as a Van or RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FernwehTramp

Reaction score
About to buy my Sprinter Van, currently stock, but will be converted to an RV. When register it with the DMV and my insurance company do I still just register it as van or as an RV?

To register it as an RV it will have meet the criteria that your state requires to be an RV. Texas requires it to be self contained, other states may differ. Check with yours.

RV will get you cheaper registration and insurance if you can find it. Not many insurance companies what a DIY motorhome. In my State, (Nevada) it is a real hassle doing a conversion. You can buy an old Class C and tear everything off from the cab back and redo it. Not a problem. The VIN comes up as a professionally built RV. Modify a commercial vehicle, and you have lots of legal hoops to jump through.

Also consider that if registered as an RV you may not be able to park in on the street in many places, while a van (aka Truck) is allowed to park on the street anywhere.

Also, RV insurance is cheaper because they understand you would only use the RV occasionally, not full-time. Your coverage would be void if they found out you were full-timing. You would need full-time RV insurance, (which is not cheaper then normal auto insurance, and very few places offer it).

I have my van insured, as a van (not RV) for $31 per month through Progressive. Gieco was about $40 per month ($60 with full-coverage) but I had to leave them a few months back. I'm not so sure RV insurance is going to get any cheaper than $30-40 per month, so you may be squabbling over a few pennies at best.

Best bet, just talk with your insurance provider. They will tell you the rate for both.

Registering it as an RV may or may not be possible in your state but in any event you won't be able to title is as an RV until it IS one, which means meeting the criteria for one.

Getting insurance on it is a completely different story.

For your own sake, approach several different insurance brokers with the scenario "I want to convert my van to an RV, what can you do for me in the way of insurance". Do NOT be surprised if you hear that the minute you modify your vehicle in any way shape or form, that they do not want you to ever grace their doors again... :rolleyes: 

Also, even if you do manage to get it titled as an RV and get RV insurance on it, if you're planning on full timing it, that is a whole 'nother category of insurance.

I ended up with stated value coverage on mine so that the body modifications (high top, etc, were recognized by the insurance company. It's the same type of insurance that gets used for heritage and rare vehicle coverage.

I believe in the kiss principle on insurance. Many have tried registering as an RV and getting RV insurance and had problems with this, most insurance companies look at the vin number. So if it was manufactured as a cargo van that is how they want to insure it. Others have run into trouble with insurance just by telling the insurance company that they were going to convert it to an RV! I think registering as a van an not saying anything to to the insurance company except that " i hav a van and need insurance " would be the easiest and best way to get it done. I believe that most van dwellers have done it this way.

Register and insure it for what it currently is. Insurance companies will break down the VIN number by letter and number to determine what their going to insure. It's not the insurance companies that you may have problems with. It their underwriters that they have to convince.

I'm in Ohio and my high roof, extended Ford Econoline E 350 and I ran into this.  It is a "one ton" vehicle.  Because of that it is a "Commercial Vehicle" (a truck)  in Ohio and I get to pay $60 bucks a year for a license.  But as  I tell my Insurance company that it's my camper,  I get cheap insurance. 

To be a "house vehicle" in Ohio,  I have to have a permanently installed bed bolted to the body,  bolted to the body kitchenette,  burner for cooking permanently installed to the top of the kitchenette,  basin(s) for washing dishes or prepping foods built into the kitchenette,  with running water.  Refrigeration (ice chest is OK)  and a table with chairs to eat meals inside the vehicle.

So my kitchenette is made of wood with a sheet metal top and has metal tabs which are screwed to the vertical wall supports of the Van.    The Bed is mounted on 2x4's bolted to the vertical wall supports and resting atop the wheel wells. The bed mattress is an inflatable.   36 qt Igloo ice chest.  I have a fold out table top mounted to the kitchenette and folding Coleman aluminum/canvas camp chairs to use at the table.   I have two 10x10" stainless basins in the kitchenette plumbed to drain under the Van (into sewage systems with flexible hose)  And a one gallon per minute 12 volt electric pump that draws water from 2 5 gallon Jerry Jugs.  If I need hot water I heat it on the stove top in a  coffee pot.   It's simple and effective.

It's what it takes for me to be legal and compliant here in Ohio. 

Since my Van has the obvious look of a "one ton" and bears the E 350 emblems, the LEO's sort of
cruise on by it.   It has full length aluminum running boards,  a class 4 receiver hitch,  rear door mounted Spare tire with cover,  and black vinyl louver covers over the rear windows.  Behind the front seats there is a
beach towel hung on a shower curtain rod for privacy in the back.  (I just say it keeps the cold air from the air conditioning up in the front where I need it).   No problems so far.  I guess the LEO's just figure it's used for
some  business and recreation use.

Hope this helps to give you some ideas.  Basically mine is seen as a commercial vehicle that has an RV interior.
The insurance sees it as an RV that doesn't get a lot of miles put on it.

I used to work for an insurance agency; I know a little about a little.

If you get the vehicle insured as an RV, the ins. co. is going to assume low mileage.  They will probably note the mileage, and if you have an accident, they will check the mileage again.  If they find that you've traveled "an excessive number" of miles in a year, they may object to insuring as an 'occasional' vehicle, and raise the premium.  Insurance is all about odds:  Every mile you drive increases the chance that you'll hit them with a claim.  If you falsify information, they may not pay a claim, and if they do pay the claim, they may cancel your insurance; and if they cancel your insurance, every other insurance agency/company will find out about it, because they will check.

If you buy a cargo van and install a bunch of goodies in it, AND want all those things insured as part of the van, it may increase the premium cost considerably.  Balance the replacement cost against the possible/probable premium increase.

Another issue with ins. co's is that they keep track of every question you ask them, and that question can raise your premium, even if you don't follow through with what you were asking about.  For instance, if you have a home, you have homeowners/liability insurance.  When you bought that insurance, they probably asked (very casually) if you had a dog and maybe you told them that you  had a Pug or Standard Poodle (low-bite breeds).  If you called them tomorrow and asked if owning a pit-type breed, a wolf-hybrid, or a Rottweiler (high-bite breeds) would increase your insurance premium, they would probably tell you: 1) Yes, it would increase, or 2) No, it wouldn't because they would cancel your policy.  And the next time your policy is renewed, the premium would probably have gone up, even if you didn't get the dog.  They seem to assume that you would get the dog and not tell them.

Always remember this Number One Rule:  Insurance Companies are in the Premium-Collecting Business, NOT the Claim-Paying Business.

State Farm would not insure it soon as they deemed it a "recreational vehicle" .
GEICO would not insure it cause it would be my only vehicle (own a motorcycle too but that does not count, has to be a car).

End up insuring it with Progressive. Full replacement value up to $80K (that includes anything attached to the vehicle like solar panels) for right at $100 a month.

If the vehicle is already setup as a camper, can I still insure it as just a regular van?  I've had my eye on a 95 GMC vandura for a while and it was built as a camper.  High top, kitchen area, etc.  I know people here have said RV insurance is cheaper, but since ill be full-timing, I want to insure it as just a regular van, daily driver, etc.  Is this possible?  Can I just get regular insurance on it?  Being that the vehicle is a 95, I would probably only be able to get liability anyway, which is fine with me since I dont plan on carrying anything with me thats irreplaceable.

Kroswind said:
If the vehicle is already setup as a camper, can I still insure it as just a regular van?  I've had my eye on a 95 GMC vandura for a while and it was built as a camper.  High top, kitchen area, etc.  I know people here have said RV insurance is cheaper, but since ill be full-timing, I want to insure it as just a regular van, daily driver, etc.  Is this possible?  Can I just get regular insurance on it?  Being that the vehicle is a 95, I would probably only be able to get liability anyway, which is fine with me since I dont plan on carrying anything with me thats irreplaceable.

That will depend on what the VIN says. If it was converted by one of the larger RV manufacturers like Starcraft it would have been bought off the production line as an incomplete vehicle and finished as an RV.

If it was a DIY conversion then it is likely titled as a passenger vehicle/truck/van, classification depending on jurisdiction.

Easiest way to see how it is already titled would be to ask the seller or take a look at the title/registration paperwork.

If you are full-timing and CAN get full time RV insurance, you really might want to go that route. It would cover all the contents such as your clothes, cookware, dishes, linens, laptop as well as the built ins in case of total loss. You may think you have nothing irreplaceable and yes, everything can be replaced, but the cost adds up.

I have a DIY camper and up here I can NOT get RV insurance for it so if everything went to hell in a hand basket, I'd be out several thousand dollars for the interior, fridge, freezer, toilet and all my belongings.

Almost There said:
I have a DIY camper and up here I can NOT get RV insurance for it so if everything went to hell in a hand basket, I'd be out several thousand dollars for the interior, fridge, freezer, toilet and all my belongings.

Take a look at this thread I just posted:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-RV-Insurance--18605

They discuss Personal Effects Policies, which are separate supplementary policies . . .