Register Van as RV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What company? Does your agent know you live in it?

What company? Does your agent know you live in it?
State Farm. Yes, they know I will be doing van life and traveling the country but also keeping my residency in the state of Kentucky at my Daughter's house. (I have not left yet as my van is not quite done and my apt. lease does not end until July.) Besides, my view is I am not going to be living in it, just traveling and camping in it for an extended period of time, the duration of which is unknown at this point.

In Ohio the BMV observes under "Q" section, sub section (b)

(b) "Motor home" means a self-propelled recreational vehicle that has no fifth wheel and is constructed with permanently installed facilities for cold storage, cooking and consuming of food, and for sleeping.

Ohio Laws & Administrative Rules

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-4501.01
There is a lot of "wiggle room" in this. The permanently installed cold storage of food could be a small ice cooler large enough for a 6 pack but housed in a wooden frame that is permanently installed. The argument is the cooler/liner can be removed for cleaning, hygiene, and food safety. ;) The bed can be a permanent frame for a mattress such as an air inflatable. Often a bathroom cabinet is set up with a cook top & removable sink with a small 2 burner propane stove held in place by spring loaded "J bolts" will pass inspection. Again, the reason for those being removable is for cleaning, hygiene, and food safety. You can always have a larger ice cooler on board that isn't permanently secured in place.

Still, these items should be kept in place while traveling. In camp they could be moved out to a picnic table. The bed mattress could be deflated and camping items carried on top of it as a shelf. The reasoning behind this is the bed "IS" there...just not made up for sleeping in until in camp.

Each state will have it's own views on this.

Registering Your Converted Camper Van as an RV

Last edited:
One reason I think older vehicles with minimal builds have a huge advantage over newer vehicles with expensive builds is the fact you can just have liability insurance and be your own insurance as in a large emergency fund that makes you a little money. Give me a wad of money and a “go bag” any day over a wrecked van I’m making payments on, arguing with an insurance company living out of a motel room.

You say "just an extended trip" but you are walking the edge and could lose coverage after the fact.
As nomads we are forced play loose with things like permanent addresses and "the place where the vehicle is garaged".... but registering as an RV so we can take advantage of low rates, is a bit much. If the companies really knew what we were doing, the rates would be higher than van rates I think... definitely for comprehensive.

As nomads we are forced play loose with things like permanent addresses and "the place where the vehicle is garaged".... but registering as an RV so we can take advantage of low rates, is a bit much. If the companies really knew what we were doing, the rates would be higher than van rates I think... definitely for comprehensive.

I live in an actual RV, and I am full time with no home base. My address is the mail fwd'er in South Dakota. I felt that "lying to the insurance company" was taking a massive risk, not only for myself and my possessions, but for others that might be involved in any incident I am unfortunate enough to be involved in.... if I injure someone or destroy property, and I lost coverage because I lied about being full time, those injuries to others would not be remedied, let alone any losses or injuries of my own.

"Playing loose" is going to be a crap shoot. As an old fart, there is no do-over if I f this up...

The nomad community faces a lot of push-back from the rat-race society, as it has ever been with gypsies and nomads for thousands of years. Our collective actions will betaken into account. Some will be the positives of cleaning up the areas we frequent and demonstrating that we are good people and some will be of people littering city streets and living outside accepted norms. It is what it is.

Nomads getting into accidents without proper insurance will not be a good thing if it happens enough to be noticed.

I felt that "lying to the insurance company" was taking a massive risk
Sorry if you've already stated it, but what insurance arrangement do you have then; type of policy, company, cost, etc?

One reason I think older vehicles with minimal builds have a huge advantage over newer vehicles with expensive builds is the fact you can just have liability insurance and be your own insurance as in a large emergency fund that makes you a little money. Give me a wad of money and a “go bag” any day over a wrecked van I’m making payments on, arguing with an insurance company living out of a motel room.
That's why an Ambo Motor Home is so sweet, has a bed, a counter top, a nice chair I planned on replacing with a wall hugger recliner as I sleep in a recliner & more storage than you'll ever need as well as rear heat & air. Even has a perfect spot for a wood stove. Also they are built so much better than something made to be camped in 2 weeks a year. It also has seats & belts for 6.

Sorry if you've already stated it, but what insurance arrangement do you have then; type of policy, company, cost, etc?

Progressive through FMCA ( Family Motor Coach Assoc)... and yes, you have to have an RV to join and thus get access to this set of policies. It was one of the avenues I explored back in the beginning of figuring this all out 3 years ago. Living in a non-rv build is not something the Ins companies have a policy for.
The KBB on my RV right now is around $22k .. not bad for a 20 year old. I paid cash and have no loan, but I still have full coverage, for now. My policy is a stated full-timers policy. I have also added content insurance. $1500 a year... (and a bit more if not paid off in full at renewal ouch!) Because I am in year two of my policy, it dropped from over $1600 and I also got no deductible on the windscreens. Below the costs... Comp and Collision alone are $1037.
Physical damage option Actual Cash Value

Disappearing Deductibles Selected

Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability $250,000 each person,$500,000 each accident,$100,000 each accident

$228.00

Uninsured Motorist $250,000 each person,$500,000 each accident

$11.00

Underinsured Motorist $250,000 each person,$500,000 each accident

$11.00

Medical Payments $5,000 each person

$12.00

Comprehensive $1,875 deductible,$0 windshield

$707.00

Collision $1,875 deductible

$330.00

Included with Comprehensive and (if purchased) Collision