Register Van as RV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max+sophia

Reaction score
Hi! I'm outfitting my Ford Escape as a camper. Is there a way to get it registered as an RV?

I tried to register my van as an RV but was denied because everything in my van could be removed easily. Nebraska requires the fixtures (stove, sink, and bed) to be permanently mounted.

A Ford Escape is not a van. It’s product description is “compact crossover SUV”. But perhaps you think of it as being a minivan?

What is your motivation to have it officially approved and licensed as an RV? How would that directly benefit you?

Last edited:
Cheaper insurance as RVs are not considered daily drivers. YMMV

Liability only on my cargo van is almost twice as much as the same coverage on my Class C.

Cheaper insurance as RVs are not considered daily drivers. YMMV

Liability only on my cargo van is almost twice as much as the same coverage on my Class C.
Isn't that because cargo vans are assumed to be in use for commercial purposes which entails a higher minimum liability?

There again some gray areas as most insurance agents want to sell you a policy. Most RVs are insured assuming they will on average be on the road less than 6 months every year. Just the last few years has full time RV insurance become available and in general it cost much more.

My insurance company asked if this was my primary or a second vehicle. They also asked if the home address given is where the vehicle is normally parked.

I tried to register my van as an RV but was denied because everything in my van could be removed easily. Nebraska requires the fixtures (stove, sink, and bed) to be permanently mounted.
May I ask why you would want to do that? My camper van was registered as a van. I was grateful for that when someone in a mobile home park questioned me being there. I just showed them my registration. It's it in a regular spot.

In Nebraska, the taxes on an RV are less than if it were a van.......nearly 1/2. I ended up registering it as a van.

In Nebraska, the taxes on an RV are less than if it were a van.......nearly 1/2. I ended up registering it as a van.
As others have pointed out, vehicles that are registered as RVs cost less in taxes and insurance because they are assumed to be on the road less than other vehicles. I don't know about the taxes, but if you put in a claim with an insurance company, and they find out that you're using it and living in it full-time, they may refuse to pay the claim because you lied to them. After all, the more time you spend in it, and the more miles you put on it, there is an increased chance that something bad will happen to it. Insurance is all about the odds. The ins. co. is in the premium-collecting business, NOT the claim-paying business.

I insured mine as an RV and proved proof of sink, toilet, bed,etc and they dropped the cost big time
What state?

Just wondering... the only reason why RV insurance would be cheaper is if they believe you are using it rarely. You may be getting a deal because they lump you in with all the other people who do use them rarely, but be sure to check the fine print.

Requirements to re-title as a RV are state specific, but generally these things will be required:
-120v power available while not plugged in
-running water with a sink (and small grey water tank)
-fridge or cooler
-ac or heater (buddy heater works)
-a place to sit and eat (steering wheel desk could work)
-camp toilet

even if you don't need all these things in your day to day life, you might need to meet them if you want to retitle as a RV.
For insurance purposes, I like Roamly since they WILL let you insure a self built camper, while big name companies will cancel your service if you tell them this! You do NOT need to retitle as a RV to get Roamly insurance, the only benefit of that is if your state has very high registration fees. Think California, $400/year to title a "commercial vehicle" van, but under $200 for a "RV van"

In my town a van can park on street over night no problem. An RV would not be allowed, and could be ticketed if parked on street between 10pm and 6am.

My 1998 Dodge conversion van is registered as a van and my full coverage insurance on it is under $40/month. My agent knows the things I am adding to it like solar, sink, electricity storage, etc. but I chose a high deductible ($500) so I would be own my own for replacement of solar panels, ac unit, and other things I added that are under that threshold unless the entire van is destroyed, which hopefully will not happen but, that's why I went with full coverage. Also, road side assistance/towing is included in my rate so no need for AAA which would cost me extra.