CL / PayPal ripoff?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtW

Reaction score
so today I posted my scooter on CL in order to get out from under the payment
Immediately I received two communications from fellows who wanted to buy it site unseen, via PayPal
Both of them claimed to be unable to come look at it because of being in the military
One said he was on deployment and so was under security restrictions, the other claims to be stationed in AZ, and under security restrictions
I'm pretty sure they were both scammers, so i shut them down (hopefully my email isn't compromised)
Am I right to do this? can you be ripped off by accepting payment via PP?
Actually I'm pretty sure I'm right, I'm just curious how you could get ripped off on the 'safe and easy way to pay'

Bullshit. Scammer. Ignore and report.

Thanks Zonie, that's what i thought, just not sure HOW you would scam someone this way :huh:

Stolen Paypal account, probably. Paypal reverses the transaction when they find out and you're out the money.

Basically, they Paypal you, someone (else) picks it up, and then they decline the charges saying they never got it so Paypal never releases the funds to you and they get their money back. You are now out the item and the payment.

Paypal is pretty good about not releasing funds until they get a shipment notification from the shipper via ebay or whatever, including tracking, or do not get a complaint. I sold my RV fridge on ebay, they paypaled me, and then picked it up as agreed. Paypal held $725 for 30 days. I was pissed. Luckily, the deal was real, and the guy was a local business.

Now, If I sell something LOCALLY on ebay, I sell it outside of ebay and only take cash as I usually have stuff on CL and ebay at the same time. Ebay doesn't get their money, but I don't get screwed either. Cash is king. I cxl the ebay sale as no longer available, sold Locally.

If somebody can come pick it up that person can bring cash too.
Meet them someplace like the parking lot at the local PD!

gsfish said:
I have a very cool vintage keyboard listed on CL (Fender Rhodes 73). One of my neighbors set it out by the road. I've had a little interest on it locally but so far no no commitment. I had a E-Mail and then a phone call from a guy in Europe wanting to pay by PP and send 'someone' to pick it up. I was very wary until I searched his name and found him associated with this very instrument on several forums/websites. I have someone thinking about it at the moment but if they don't move soon I'm thinking of finding out more about the PP option.

Guy

Just because he says he is that person, doesn't make it so. I can claim to be Bill Gates. If you look up the name you will see I got some bucks. 

Have him paypal the pick up guy and they can bring you cash.

Another common scam:  I am an officer in the military I got transferred  overseas. The military has my Stateside vehicle in a shipping container on a US base and will ship to any address I choose. 

In this case, The purchaser may claim they did not send anybody to pick up the item, and they never received it. Any document that you have to the contrary is a forgery. Why would they have somebody else pick it up when you could ship it to them?

Oh yeah ,,, don't forget Get one of those pens that check for counterfeits!

If you do the deal at a bank, can't you just have the bank check the currency? Totally clueless which is one of the reasons I don't use CL to buy or sell anything yet.

I love Craigslist and use it often. I've had every scam attempt in the book. I don't post my email, if they want my item they have to call or text, that weeds out about 99% of the scammers, maybe even higher as they almost all operate though untrackable email. I also only accept offers in person, if someone wants to bargain on the item before seeing it in person I assume they are also not serious.

There have been instances of people being robbed showing up for an item or showing someone an item. I think for the amount of transactions on craigslist compared to the violent incidents it's pretty rare. Last year a few towns over a guy went to look at a dirt bike and two guys tried to rob him of his cash, he shot them both multiple times with his .45 I consider that sweet justice, last I heard one is going to be going to bathroom in a bag the rest of his life.

A few of our local police stations even have a few reserved parking spots for people to conduct craigslist transactions, I think this is probably the safest way to do it.

Thanks ERLH. I've got items that require hauling that I had thought about CL for but I really don't really want strangers in my home. Maybe for smaller items that are portable, but I think I'll find another way to sell antique furniture. Good to know about the phone versus email and bargaining.

I was hesitant to link my bank account to PayPal, there were so many fake Paypals trying to weasel into peoples wallets I just closed the account. They were always trying to sell some service and I had heard stories about them withholding funds. I'm with ERLH, cash only unless it's someone I know. I've had no issues with Craigslist other than the unseen buyer who wants to pay more than I am asking.

ArtW, I wish the tired old body could deal with a scooter, the Honda you have is good bike.

I only use PayPal, up to now, on ebay and to buy items from forum members on forums I am part of, not usually random people, and only if they insist
If possible i send postal MOs instead, or use a CC
I might get ripped off for the payment, but for no more
Wow Gunny he wanted to pay more? wonder what that was about?
the Scooter is a good bike, I should use it more, but i don't, because i don't enjoy it as much as the motorcycle it replaced
I'm hoping to sell it for what I owe and get out from under the note
If you could Gunny, I'd sure be happier with it going to someone who appreciates it, but we all have to know our limitations, and if you got hurt on it I'd feel like a total ass

Good Morning ArtW, yep, time and old injuries made me realize I could not confidently ride a scooter anymore, be it an  actual scooter or my BMW. Almost wept when it was sold. But life goes on so I bought a Polaris Sportsman Ace. It's a bare bones 570 but new wheels, brushguards and a winch are decorating my living room as I type this waiting for the weekend to install.

As far as Paypal goes, I am sure many have used it with no issues and I never had a problem but after reading so many reports of people losing either money or their items or both I quit using them. Then they insisted I link my bank account to them so I just asked them to erase me from their rolls. I am sure they didn't lose any sleep over it.

Here's a picture of my Ace, I've got about 4 hours on it now and as soon as I get my dr. appts. taken care of I am taking to Bridgeport's ATV trails and do some riding.

IMG_0226.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    277.9 KB
That's a sweet looking machine, I didn't know they made UTVs (I hate calling something that looks like that much fun a U anything) for single operators
I've cried when i sold bikes in the past, but as little as I use it, that payment every month makes it feel like an albatross round my neck

Every Road Leads Home said:
A few of our local police stations even have a few reserved parking spots for people to conduct craigslist transactions, I think this is probably the safest way to do it.

That's great. I personally would never go to someone's home or let them come to my home. I usually do a grocery store parking lot in the day, here in Houston they are big and roomy but get lots of traffic so I doubt anyone would try something.

You can have them meet you where their picture can be taken be taken by a camera and then take them to your house. I have not sold on Craigslist but I have bought a bunch. If it is a high dollar item I say I will come look then if we come to an agreement, I will go to a local bank and take out the money.

ArtW said:
so today I posted my scooter on CL

Am I right to do this? can you be ripped off by accepting payment via PP?
Actually I'm pretty sure I'm right, I'm just curious how you could get ripped off on the 'safe and easy way to pay'

Hey ArtW, other than just being generally cautious, I wasn't worried about doing PP transactions.  Had no idea about the scams being explained here.  The reverse/refuse payment thing is pretty devious.  Eye-opening.  

I agree with all of the advice that says to make them bring cash, or at least a wire transfer to a bank that can be verified.  Some places in the world allow everyone with an ATM card to transfer funds via ATM to anyone else.  Wish we had that.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Vagabound

gsfish said:
I've made dozens and dozens of CL purchases and sales at their and my home. Met some awesome people too. Even got a tip from a buyer that led to the best paying job that I've ever had. Maybe I'm too old to be afraid of people. Hell, people get robbed in parking lots and at traffic lights all the time but I'm going to keep on driving. There are so many no shows too, it would be a hassle to drive somewhere to meet .... nobody.

I'm not sure how this would work. "I would like to check out your boat that's for sale. Would you mind pulling it down to the WalMart lot so I can see it?" "Just bring the big screen TV to the Police Department parking lot, I don't need to see it working."

I realize that everyone needs to do what they are comfortable with though.

Guy

I'm in the same boat as you with this point of view.  The amount of no shows and larger size of lots of items would make an off site meeting very difficult or not possible.  I've met lots of great people as well, and all in all find craigslist an excellent source for buying and selling.  I'm all about statistics and the most dangerous thing i do by far is driving and i'm not stopping that.  Odds of being robbed during a craigslist transaction is just not something I even think about.