Choosing truck and trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growfreedom22

Reaction score
Sorry if thus has been asked I searched a bit but don't have time to search it all.
I've decided to get a truck and trailer.
I know nothing about either except from what I've read recently and I am feeling quite overwhelmed.

I for sure am getting a Chevrolet Silverado. No exceptions. It's my dream truck. While I would totally get a 2016 price may have me getting something a few years older but not much older at all. Maybe max 3 years idk. 

A far as trailers well this is all new to me. Something easier to drive since I have never really towed anything exept for a truck by rope down a back road lol
I'm guessing smaller is easier?? 
I know from looking at them, small is OK but not like tiny kind. I want plenty of space for my kid and me. Plenty of storage inside and a full bathroom. Also a big fridge we will be on road for minimum 6 months maybe more and those tiny fridges won't do. 
I seen one trailed I loved. Small but spacious lots of storage full bathroom but the fridge was the kind u see in the motels with tiny "freezer" inside the fridge. I do not want that lol. 

So besides searching for days and weeks at pictures trying to find a perfect trailer for me and my daughter. There is the other aspect of knowing the truck and the trailer work together. All the weight stuff plus our stuffs weight etc etc that stuff confuses me. 
I get the truck can only pull so much weight. The trailer has a weight plus only so much extra weight u can put in it. Then I saw something about added weight to truck ( supplied and people weight) where does that add into the equation? 
Lol its a lot to take in. Thankfully I won't be buying til March 2017 so I have some time to learn and figure out this stuff.
Thanks to anyone who can help me in the right direction. 

P.s. some other things I read you can add an alarm system to the trailer. Do any come with that or what be the best way to go about that?
Thanks again.

BTW, you mentioned that you are getting a Chevy Silverado.  That's fine, but the Siverado comes in 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton variants (1500, 2500, 3500).  I would not go for less than the 3/4 tone, and for sure you want the factory trailer towing package.

This video is excellent for total noobs:

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Education...ie=UTF8&qid=1477163647&sr=1-9&keywords=rv+101
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Education...ie=UTF8&qid=1477163647&sr=1-9&keywords=rv+101

IMO the best way to look at all that is to think about it in two dimensions. Weight pulling and weight carrying. As you said you know the max weight the trailer can carry and what the truck can carry. Those are all loads or downward weight pressing on the axles,tires, and suspension components. Each has its own max capacity. It gets confusing when you consider what the truck can carry because you must add all the weight PLUS the downward pressing weight of the hitch from the trailer. They call that the tongue weight. The tongue weight should be around 10 - 15% of the total weight of the trailer. So if the trailer weight is 10,000 pounds the tongue weight needs to be between 1000- 1500 pounds.

Towing is pretty simple

Coming from someone with a 1/2 ton pulling a 5,000lb loaded fifth wheel, go with at least a 3/4 ton. I'd personally recommend a fifth wheel. I absolutely love the layout, it pulls easier (in my opinion) and 4-5 depending on the hitch feel like they're part of the truck and not behind you because it's overtop the truck while pulling.

Most of the trailers I've seen come with the 3way fridge that has a pretty good sized freezer/fridge.

If there's a close trailer shop near you I'd take a day and wonder around looking at all the options. They leave most unlocked during business hours so you can take a look inside them.

No argument about the Chevy, they are the best today!! But, in your situation I might consider a van instead. My thinking is get a Casita for your living quarters, but you sleep in the van. Young girls need privacy and she would get the trailer to herself at night, or vice versa.

Otherwise you will have to get a trailer with a bedroom, but one of you will still be sleeping in the living area. Getting two full bedroom means a much bigger, heavier trailer.
Whatever you do, get a 1 Ton.
Bob

As far as the small refrigerator goes, you could supplement it with a 12 volt chest fridge like the Engel, Arb, or Whytner carried in the truck.

Growfreedom22 said:
She is 3 and in a car seat so van and motor home bot an option for us. Just isn't safe enough to risk it. Was my first option. So she doesn't need privacy and we sleep in same bed. So long as bed is at least a queen we are good. Will only be her and myself so don't need rooms or much space.. except the fridge haha

Oopslala said:
Coming from someone with a 1/2 ton pulling a 5,000lb loaded fifth wheel, go with at least a 3/4 ton.  I'd personally recommend a fifth wheel.  I absolutely love the layout, it pulls easier (in my opinion) and 4-5 depending on the hitch feel like they're part of the truck and not behind you because it's overtop the truck while pulling.

Most of the trailers I've seen come with the 3way fridge that has a pretty good sized freezer/fridge.  

If there's a close trailer shop near you I'd take a day and wonder around looking at all the options.  They leave most unlocked during business hours so you can take a look inside them.

Thanks. I'd been wondering about the 1500 vs 2500. I hadn't looked at 5th wheels yet. I will check them out. And yeah I been thinking but going to a shop and looking around to get some feel for them. Thanks for advice.

If you're starting from scratch, I suggest you go to dealers, shows and backyards (with owners permission, of course ;))  and actually get in and spend time in as many trailers as possible.  What looks good in pictures or floorplans may not be feasible in reality.  Spend lots of time in different models until you get a feel for your needs, wants and deal breakers.   Act out cooking and washing dishes, hop in the shower and see if you can move around, imagine where you'll be sitting when you're stuck inside for two days by nasty weather or the flu, etc.  Visualize actually living in the thing and see if it works.

For example, I have a good sized dog, which requires floor space.  People are generally sitting down, so two people can easily move around each other in a small space, but stepping over the dog 200 times a day gets old fast.  I didn't realize that before I bought my motorhome - it wasn't even on my radar.  Now I'm looking at trailers with slides or toy haulers just for that extra floor space.

Once you find your future home, then find the vehicle to pull it.   That way you won't end up with more truck than you need, or having to settle for a smaller/lighter trailer.  Watch the payload ratings as well as towing capacity.
And have fun shopping!

I noticed 5th wheel recommendations. imo a goose neck beats a 5er hands down. you get all the advantages of a 5er but you don't have that big ugly hitch taking up 1/4 of you truck bed space. highdesertranger

Latest posts