Choosing a domicile

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout

Reaction score
I did a search on this because i thought it would be a hot topic but didnt find anything. I did watch bobs video twice so far which was excellent. 
I have a few questions. 1)im considering nevada but as most of you probably know they have a tax based on your vehicles msrp.Is that a one time fee or part of your registration every year?2)i own property in texas which should make it a no brainer for me to choose texas, but nevada has extended Medicaid which i can get if i work seasonal jobs. I have nationwide coverage tricare right now through the miltary but when i retire in 3 years it jumps way to high for me to pay.there no subsidary as far as i know. Maybe Obama care in texas would be affordable? Im still reseraching this because i dont know much about the health insurance.  Ive always had military or company funded and not had to worry too much about it. I guess i really dont have a question on this second part other than explaining my situation and looking for advice.thanks

Use the VA.  Choose where you want to live, get registered with the nearest VA facility.  You may have to pay a copay.  If I were you I would go to a nearby VA facility and inquire what you need to do.

closeanuf said:
Use the VA.  Choose where you want to live, get registered with the nearest VA facility.  You may have to pay a copay.  If I were you I would go to a nearby VA facility and inquire what you need to do.

If you haven't, you really need to get on board and do this, you've earned it. Just do it! I'm in the same boat as you, I start getting my retirement in March, I'm also 50% disabled and is currently my only income. Good Luck

Another helpful search is at rvnetwork.com... on the home page choose Activity, then Search. Start with Domicile as it searches threads much like this forum.

Thats all good advice.thank you i will check it out.

If you can get medicaid now  then when you reach retirement (65) you will be put on medicare . Medicaid will pay the Medicare premium.

The va allows 12,900 a year icome for 0 copay,  upto 32,000 a year for 0 copay for Dr and hospitall but $8 copay prescription per 30 day. The Va usually sends out prescriptions for 90 days at a time so be prepared for the $24 per perscription.

Since your physical address changes often, you will need to sign up for myhealthyvet so you can change your address as required. 

Hope all this helps .

Bill

If I'm not mistaken (which I have been twice) Medicaid varies from state to state and with VA you can live anywhere.  I have a friend who lives in Wyoming and he is able to go to a local doctor and the VA covers it because he is several hundred miles from a VA facility.

musicman said:
If you can get medicaid now  then when you reach retirement (65) you will be put on medicare . Medicaid will pay the Medicare premium.

The va allows 12,900 a year icome for 0 copay,  upto 32,000 a year for 0 copay for Dr and hospitall but $8 copay prescription per 30 day. The Va usually sends out prescriptions for 90 days at a time so be prepared for the $24 per perscription.

Since your physical address changes often, you will need to sign up for myhealthyvet so you can change your address as required. 

Hope all this helps .

Bill

As far as I know, MyHealthyVet does not change your address within the VA system. In order to switch primary care providers within the VA system there is an official document that you must fill out and sign. The last outpatient clinic i moved to had it preprinted for me, just had to sign and date. Please be careful about guessing when it comes to VA programs since there are so many and change constantly. Here is an excerpt from My Healthy Vet:  NOTE

Any information entered on your My Profile page is for your My HealtheVet account only and is not shared with your VA facility. If you need to update the information in your official VA record, including the mailing address for your VA prescriptions, please contact the appropriate office at your VA Medical Center.

closeanuf said:
If I'm not mistaken (which I have been twice) Medicaid varies from state to state and with VA you can live anywhere.  I have a friend who lives in Wyoming and he is able to go to a local doctor and the VA covers it because he is several hundred miles from a VA facility.

VA now has outpatient clinics in a lot of small towns across the country. I have found the level of service to be inferior at the VA. If you have a problem with the VA you have 0 recourse and that is why so many bad doctors are drawn to it. Its a lot better than it used to be, but that is now fading once again.