Chevy Express / GMC Savanna / Ford Econoline

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You should primarily look for this vehicle to make into your home on wheels

• Total voters
I voted Ford because I have an '04 E350 and I'm just more familiar with Ford. In reality, Ford or Chevy/GMC won't really matter. Specific years and engines may indeed matter, but I'm not qualified to give you a breakdown of that.

I'll second the notion of the 3500/350 class. You want the power and suspension to carry all the weight you're going to build into it, and I know in my case there will also be lots of mountain driving. I specificaly wanted the Ford 5.4L V8 because that particular engine may be their most common and has a better service history than some of the others. Any shop I pull into, surely they've worked on a Ford 5.4L many times before, and parts will be readily available.

I was tempted to get a passenger van because I liked the idea of looking out all the windows at the beautiful views, but for insulation and build reasons went with the cargo van, and would recommend that as well.

My write-up sticky in the Mechanical section has a fair bit of info on the offerings from the big three for most of the years the average vandweller buys.
Including details on the options, perks, and shortcomings of motors, transmissions, and differentials.

I'll offer something on the window cargo debate. I was dead set on cargo, but in my search I found a conversion van, and figured it has all my must haves, rear AC, door windows that open and for driving safty, plus some things I'll probably add like nice leather captains chairs a fold down couch and trim around all the windows that's a pain to make. Best part of all it was half of the price range I was searching in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking at a 89 ford with 115,000 class b. Any thoughts?

I'm skiddish of anything not on modern r134a refrigerant since they can be expensive or impossible to maintain.

I went with 2001 E150 4.2 V6 cargo  with NO RUST and only 80,000 miles, spent life doing 95% passenger duty.
But it was my stepdad's so I had an inside track.

The big three will all be decent to you.
For $5K you should be able to find early 2000's with reasonable mileage. I'd avoid anything 80-90's, handling greatly improve over the years, with 99 or newer seeing marked improvements.

The V6's are a little underpowered for towing, but fine for a minimalist build, which I intend.
If you will be going with solar panels, generator, RV stove, RV AC, lots of cabinets and that heavy knotty pine "Pinterest paneling" go V8. Some of the newish V8's run on only 4 or 6 cylinders when cruising.

For comparison I bought a 2004 Ford E350 extended cargo van with 75k miles for $9,000... I think I paid on the high end, but I was being pretty picky and this van seemed to be in really good shape, was from AZ (no rust), and had low mileage. $5k for the same age range with maybe a little more mileage seems quite doable.

Since I started this thread, I though I would not necessarily end it but update those who read the entire post. I ended up buying a 2003 Chevy Express 2500 with the Access Package. With the Access package I can go stealth if I want. Or open it up to enjoy my view and cool breezes when I want to. I think I got the best of both world frankly... well I do have a loss of space. But I am going to work with it.

Keightley

Wow that really could be cool for rigging an outdoor accessible kitchen under a rack-attached awning.

Sliders for the fridge sink/stove like the little off-road trailers, access to all the other chuckbox stuff through those open bin lids.

And set it up so just as easy to use from the inside for rainy days or parked in town.

I would really have to be tall to make that work. :)

Keightley

I meant the fridge and sink/cooker slideouts would be low down at whatever height is ergonomic for the owner.

All the upper Access shelving would be plates, pots utensils spices and other foodstuffs, just like you keep in kitchen cabinets at home.

Yes I realize most wouldn't want to cut into their bodywork.