Chevy Express / GMC Savanna / Ford Econoline

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You should primarily look for this vehicle to make into your home on wheels

• Total voters

keightley

Reaction score
Okay folks!  I took your advice for better or worst and I passed on the 2006 Dodge Sprinter with very little rust that was amazing.  Now I am looking at cargo vans: the Chevy Express, the GMC Savanna, and the Ford Econoline.  I am looking at ones around $5K.  Now I am completely in love with side access panels as windows.  I know that on the Chevy Express and GMC Savanna there is a package for contractors with this option but in my price range they are a rare breed.  I am wondering if it is possible to outfit the vans after market?  I am thinking I can save up over a few months and have them installed before I start in on installation against cold and heat (I live in Utah).

If the answer is yes, could I get them installed after I complete my conversion and spend a few weeks living in the van?  That way I can make sure that is indeed what I want to do.  

Lastly I just want to get people's quick though on which vehicle I should target primarily.  I do not need to know why for the moment.  So I have included a poll.  I encourage all who read this post to complete it.  I am so excited of the possibilities this will do to my life.  I just don't want to make a mistake if I can avoid it through advice given from people love this lifestyle.    

Cheers,
Keightley

chevy and gmc are basically the same thing and thats what i would go for

Go read my sticky in the maintenance section for an objective analysis on the big 3 from a mechanical perspective.

Good decision. But do still make sure you're always leaving a healthy "untouchable emergency reserve" for repairs, unless you have other options and don't mind putting the van on hold while you scrimp and save for an expensive unforeseen repair needed.

IMO you should start weekending immediately without spending any build money at all, bare REAL necessities only to start.

Sketch on paper, then make cardboard mockups for planning, go camping and let your mind and body live inside your prototyping until you feel it's all gelled.

Cutting into bodywork for ventilation, wiring should come before insulation and interior lining.

Case of adding windows only affect the walls, roof and floor can be before.

When you're looking at vans the only difference between a GMC Savanna and a Chevy Express is the labels on them. They come off the production line one after the other and are labelled near the end of the production line.

More important is the designation of 1500 - 1/2 ton equal to Ford E150, 2500 - 3/4 ton equal to Ford E 250 and 3500 which is equal to Ford 1 ton van the E350.

Also important is the engine size. Different years came with different size engine options but IMO you want nothing less than a V8 unless you are intending to be strictly in an urban area where there are no big hills AND never plan on towing anything.

For all round serviceability for this nomad life of ours I'd suggest nothing less than a 3/4 ton with a V8 engine, less than a 100,000 miles on it. Whether you pick a window van or a cargo van is up to you and maybe what's on the market at the time.

Don't lock yourself in too tightly or you could be looking for a long time. If you want windows but a cargo van comes up you can always add aftermarket. If a window van pops up that meets the other criteria, you can always block some off one way or another.

I'm really relieved to see that you passed up that diesel engine in the Sprinter. I watched a woman this past winter make weekly trips all the way from Ehrenberg to Palm Springs for repairs on her Sprinter. itr was the closest place that had a mechanic that would deal with it... 3 hours each way IIRC. At last count I think she had sunk over 5 G in to it in less than a month. As soon as one thing was fixed another went wrong. I kind of suggested she might like to find a campground next door to the repair shop to at least save the travel time... :rolleyes:

Diesels are their own beasts and require a good experienced mechanic. Though, if I needed the hauling ability and could therefore justify one, and IDI diesel is one of the toughest and most reliable van motors you could hope for. Just be ready for when they do have an issue because EVERYTHING costs a lot, haha.

I agree on the van and engine size. Six cyl full size vans will not save you any gas money and you will be working them hard. Lightest motor I'd take in a van is the Ford 4.6L modular v8.

I'm a huge advocate of planning but sometimes a deal is a deal or a situation is a situation. I'm about to return to the van life and just don't have the time or money to get what I want. If all goes well, tomorrow I will be buying a window van (MUCH prefer cargos) because it is within my budget and has several other things I require.

Just want to share that I have a 2001 Ford E-350 with no problems so far, but if could do it over again I would go with a Chevy/GMC (I voted for Chevy).

dr_nelson said:
Just want to share that I have a 2001 Ford E-350 with no problems so far, but if could do it over again I would go with a Chevy/GMC (I voted for Chevy).

@administrator...  Now that I am better educated can we edit my stupidity in the poll.  Can you combined the Chevy Express and the GMC Savannah to one choice?  I would be forever grateful!

Keightley

Great thing about this forum is I had no idea either, regarding Chevy Express/GMC Savanna. Now I know.
The question(for me) is will I remember this new knowledge next month?

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]"Thought is the arrow of time[/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]; memory never fades"  I wish I had that gift[/font]

We chose the Chevy express 3500 extended.

We looked at the passenger ones, but went with the cargo version instead!

Cargo is the way to go. This time round, I had to get a window van and what a pain the interior is proving to be.
Not to mention fighting the overall greenhouse effect. Though, I had a trick up my sleeve which is working well.

Gideon33w said:
(...)
I had to get a window van and what a pain the interior is proving to be.
(...)
Though, I had a trick up my sleeve which is working well.

Would love to hear about your trick, as I have a window van, too!

EDIT: Well, I just realized this would be off-topic. Sorry, I will open a new thread and ask.

dr_nelson said:
Would love to hear about your trick, as I have a window van, too!

EDIT: Well, I just realized this would be off-topic. Sorry, I will open a new thread and ask.

On the back side of the paneling I used spray adhesive to laminate on a layer of mylar. HUGE difference.

I voted for Chevy/GMC, which is what I started out looking for, but I ended up buying a Ford e250. It's been great and dependable.

Almost There said:
When you're looking at vans the only difference between a GMC Savanna and a Chevy Express is the labels on them. They come off the production line one after the other and are labelled near the end of the production line.

More important is the designation of 1500 - 1/2 ton equal to Ford E150, 2500 - 3/4 ton equal to Ford E 250 and 3500 which is equal to Ford 1 ton van the E350.

Also important is the engine size. Different years came with different size engine options but IMO you want nothing less than a V8 unless you are intending to be strictly in an urban area where there are no big hills AND never plan on towing anything.

For all round serviceability for this nomad life of ours I'd suggest nothing less than a 3/4 ton with a V8 engine, less than a 100,000 miles on it. Whether you pick a window van or a cargo van is up to you and maybe what's on the market at the time.

Don't lock yourself in too tightly or you could be looking for a long time. If you want windows but a cargo van comes up you can always add aftermarket. If a window van pops up that meets the other criteria, you can always block some off one way or another.

I'm really relieved to see that you passed up that diesel engine in the Sprinter. I watched a woman this past winter make weekly trips all the way from Ehrenberg to Palm Springs for repairs on her Sprinter. itr was the closest place that had a mechanic that would deal with it... 3 hours each way IIRC. At last count I think she had sunk over 5 G in to it in less than a month. As soon as one thing was fixed another went wrong. I kind of suggested she might like to find a campground next door to the repair shop to at least save the travel time... :rolleyes:

You forgot one.  The 6-speed tranny is better than the 4-speed.  The 4-speed will not last as long, based on what I've recently read.

For noobs to vans, please note that the Dodge B-Series vans haven't been made since 2004.

My vote is for Chevy/GMC... I have the 6.0L v8 engine 6speed trans, and it was GREAT in the mountains! Got 11mpg in the mountains and 15mpg on the highway. So maybe the newer 4.8L v8 would be better for fuel economy. I had a Subaru 4cyl that revved SO high when in the mountains, and i couldn't stand it, from now on I will try to always go a little larger with the engine size than i think i will need.

Been a Dodge guy my whole life. Started out in a Dodge. Went Ford. Shoulda started with a Ford.​

I voted Dodge. I seem to be the odd one lol. 

I've had several Dodge vans as vehicles in a fleet. Always have had great luck. When they did need work it was always very reasonable. My last conversion was a 99 Dodge B1500. The new one is a 96 B3500

I've never had a Chevy Express. I'd take one any day. I like everything I've read about them. I like the way they look.

I had a mid 80'S E250 and late 90's E150. Both were panel vans. The mid 80's one was great until I decided a foxbody needed it's engine.

The late 90's Ford was junk. Had tons of electrical issues and didn't run the best. It was probably overworked only being a half ton. It was a backup van that no body was excited about having to use for the day.