Chest Fridge from Front-Opening ???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suanne

Reaction score
I have an older, small 12v fridge/freezer that has front door access, freezer on top. The compressor is a Danfoss BD35F.

If I make sure that the compressor is well ventilated, can I put this fridge on its back to make it function like a chest design and not cause harm to it?  I understand that you lose less cold air when opening the lid on a chest design, than in a front-door design.  I'm concerned because I also seem to recall warnings not to tip household refrigerators too far over (something about the Freon).  I'm hoping this little 12v uses different technology.

20140620_145506.jpg
20140620_145531.jpg
20140620_145642.jpg
20140620_145656.jpg
20140620_145710.jpg

Thanks, Suanne

No, the compressor can only operate at upto 30 degrees from off level. And that is front to back, not side to side. Not sure of the side to side off level running.

Absorption fridges must be within 3 degrees, some are okay upto 6 degrees, or they will not run properly. And they will be cumulatively damaged by off level running.

SternWake said:
No, the compressor can only operate at upto 30 degrees from off level. And that is front to back, not side to side.  Not sure of the side to side off level running.

Absorption fridges must be within 3 degrees, some are okay upto 6 degrees, or they will not run properly.  And they will be cumulatively damaged by off level running.

3 degrees? Man I don't think I've ever seen a parking lot within 3 degrees of level. I knew absorption fridges were reputed to run poorly when parked on a slope but I've never heard that fact represented so acutely. How are they "cumulatively damaged"?

that's why they sell the little bubble levels for the absorption refers. yes 3% isn't much, handicap ramps are 2% to give you an idea. suanne if you where to rotate the compressor to an upright position you could do it but seems like a lot of work for the return. it's not the feon you need be concerned about it's the oil. if your refer has been transported on it's side place it upright for at least 1 day before plugging it in and it will work fine. highdesertranger