Check Your Altitude!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"climb down backwards".

I use what I call "reverse Spiderman", back side down, front side up, feet downhill, my hands supporting my upper body, eyes looking where I am going. I can drop my butt to earth whenever I need a break. I don't do steep ascents or descents.

The reverse spiderman is 100% my go-to down climbing technique! Sometimes I never even take my butt off the rock. I call it the butt scoot. Lost a few pairs of hiking pants this way. Switched to climbing pants, managed to keep the butt intact after that

Mt Evans in Colorado has a paved road to the top, 14,200' I've ridden it on a motorcycle and it's worth checking out if you have a smaller vehicle and can tolerate the thin air. Hiking around at that altitude along with the scenery is breathtaking.
This guy has a pretty cool video of the top of Mt. Evans. Lots of heavy equipment up there. He thinks they might be building a visitors center. Imagine having that for a construction job site.