Cheap Heating Options?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachRVer

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, 

Getting ready for the upcoming winter and wondering what some budget friendly heating options. 

Really interested if anyone has any recommendations for affordable electric blankets to stay warm.

Best option in all but a few areas is a good mummy sleeping bag. Or two to layer together, if it's really cold.

If you are in an area that gets life-threateningly cold, then you need a heater. Alas, electricity is a very inefficient way to produce heat and uses quite a bit of power. Most people use a propane heater instead.

You can either heat your space, which means burning fuel or electricity, or you can insulate yourself, holding onto the free heat your body produces.

a heating pad near/under your feet. for me if the feet are warm I am warm all over :) and it is small, cranks out good heat, adjustable heat and just something that might help if needed.

If you have sufficient 12V power for it, a heating mattress pad works better than an electric blanket for keeping you warm.

And instead of a heating pad suggested by Roamer, think about a hot water bottle. You can use the hot water to fill the hwb at the same time as the stove is heating the air in your vehicle.

very true Almost There, those heated mattress pads are sweet :)
I forgot about those.

no, no, keep that heating pad on hand cause it is great for old bones when needed as medical help HAHA believe me I love my heating pad for my bum ankle :) helps my lower back some days also!

Roamer, you obviously have more than sufficient electricity... :D

For those of us with either limited electric or the desire to simply use less, there are alternatives.

I admit I did have trouble finding a hot water bottle- the pharmacist at W/M in Parker looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked for one. The assistant there just laughed at him - he was too young to know what a hot water bottle even looked like. I finally found one at the drugstore, pricey IMO but now that I've got it it requires nothing more than the kettle of water heated on the stove to provide that welcome relief from pain when firing up the generator just won't do. And of course I could use solar heated water if available.

Way back before everyone depended on electricity for heating everything, hot water bottles took the place of warmed bricks wrapped in flannel.

The heating pad would have to run off the inverter and would drain the batteries.

A nalgene bottle will work as well but the shape of them doesn't compare in convenience to an old fashioned rubber hwb. And it can be used with icy cold water as well if you need a cold pack.

I love my hot water bottle.  Everyone should have a hot water bottle at the ready.  When you crawl into your cold bed at night, a hot water bottle put into your bed a few minutes ahead of time will really welcome you.  And with the hot water bottle in a few minutes your body heat warms the rest up and your are good to go for the night.

I think I remember hearing about that some time back ... kidney beans maybe?

Using a candle with just a bit of ventilation can keep some of the chill off.
A space blanket around a sleeping bag works, or a mini tent made of reflectix.
Most insulation will not stop radiant heat. a reflective material will bounce it back at you. It works so well some complain it makes you sweat.
Some just put a piece of reflectix under their mattress and it is enough. I see this a lot in Hammock camping videos.

A candle typically puts out around 250 BTU. Not enough to do anything useful. Maybe a nice psychological comfort, but as far as actual heat, it's like trying to heat your vehicle with a cigarette lighter.

And no, putting a flowerpot over it won't improve anything.

In a sleeping bag, one trick used by backpackers is to put a large plastic trash bag inside the bag. This will trap heat. Alas, it will also trap moisture, so you will be wet in the morning. It's for emergency uses only, for one night.

Last year I got one of those Sam's Club comforter's that was fluffy and thick on sale for like $12 or $14 dollars and with my old military poncho liner I was to hot some nights so I slept on top of my cheap 40 degree Walmart bag and it was great till I had to get up.

Here is Bob Wells video on Cheap Heat for Van Living...

bullfrog said:
I slept on top of my cheap 40 degree Walmart bag and it was great till I had to get up.

yea the 'get up' into the cold.  been there.  I have a super heavy, fluffy thick robe.  Put on that thing and all cold worries go away for me.  Older than the hills but that scruffy fluffy robe is my go to when I have to hit the cold cold world in the morning :)

The UCO Candle Lanterns claim 1900 BTUs (450 BTUs from the micro tea candle versions) on the outside of their blister packaging, and you can get cleaner beeswax candles for it (perhaps less BTUs). HERE is a post of a 1hr atmospheric test of 3 wick candle in a vehicle with the windows roll-up tight with basically no detectable CO or O2 impact.  With the candle/flame enclosed in a lantern, it's a much lower fire risk.

One neat candle trick is the Palmer Survival Furnace where you sit cross-legged on an insulated pad wearing a poncho or blanket, and burn a candle in the protected triangle of your folded legs.  You can greatly reduce fire/burn risk with the enclosed lanterns, or by placing the candle in a pot, and with the poncho/blanket snug around your neck, you keep any fumes from wafting into your face.  The poncho/blanket contains the micro climate and it can get too hot with a poncho or quilt that has some loft.  Short-term deep heat soaks only, as you can only sit in one position for so long, and it's not safe to use in other positions.  Great for deep warm-ups just before going to bed and after just waking up to start the day.

The Palmar Furnace is what some paddlers take on trips in case they get too cold and need heat fast.