charging laptops, tablets, cell phones, radiosand such

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arizonatruck

Reaction score
I want to charge/run a laptop and kindle without having to use a 120 volt outlet, in essence, eliminating the need for an inverter for those items. Where would I be able to find these things. I have the usb cords for the phones and tablets.

I have been looking a little while, but haven't found much.

This is for the system for charging off of the house batteries. Using something to come of the 12 volt system. But I do like the idea.

Check Amazon,eBay, Google for "DC charger" or "DC apapter" for whatever device you want to charge.

You can get car adapters for most laptops. Search Amazon and Ebay. Hook up some plugs to your house batteries and you're good to go.

For the USB plugs you have two good options - they make things that plug into a cigarette lighter with two USB plugs. The other option is what I did - get a 12v USB hub:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ESQKXA/
When my computer is off it works as a charger, when my computer is on it's a hub.

There seems to be more 12v hub options now than there were a few years ago, so the link above is only one example of something I know works. There may be something better and/or cheaper now.

Check out Voltaic Systems. http://www.voltaicsystems.com/v60.shtml. You can get a battery (the V60 is $150) and then charge all of your devices off of the V60 battery. The V60 battery can be charged via a small solar panel, or it can be charged via a 12 volt outlet. It has a USB port, and it comes with a bunch of different adapters for different devices. It's pricey, but it works well. I can usually charge my phone and my mifi device two or three times each from one full V60 battery. It works for laptops, but your mileage will vary depending on your usage. You might have to buy an adapter that will connect your laptop to the V60 battery, and you'll most likely find one that works on Voltaic's website. Here's the adaptors page link since it's kind of buried on their site. http://www.voltaicsystems.com/adapters.shtml

Like someone else mentioned, Goal Zero also makes a nice charging system. I don't own any of their products but I've heard good things.

I think the Inverter is too heavily relied upon in Van dwelling. A necessary evil, i have two of them, but everything which I have which can run off of a DC to DC converter, is run off it.

For USB charged devices, I have a Blueseas dual port hardwired:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...8&qid=1391802139&sr=1-1&keywords=blueseas+usb

Do note that this product has a very small parasitic draw when not powering anything. I pull the fuse on mine when I fly to the other side of the country once a year. It is also electrically "quiet" when charging my MP3 player while also playing music through it, with other adapters, the ground loop humm was loud and annoying. It was much less when the Mp3 was charging through this Blueseas USB port but not entirely eliminated. I bought a ground loop isolator for the 3.5mm stereo mini plug which did eliminate the charging humm.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...rh=i:electronics,k:3.5mm ground loop isolator.

The Humm was always very bad when broadcasting laptop audio through car stereo. The GLI eliminated it entirely.

For charging my laptop, I use a PWR+ brand 90 watt car adapter. It uses significantly less electricity than using the inverter to power the included power brick. It depends on the task being performed but the electricity saved during typing a response in this forum is close to 50%, but while streaming a Video is about 15%.

My provided dell 90watt 120vac power brick failed. I bought a PWR+ brand replacement, and this one is slightly more efficient on the inverter than the Dell provided one.

Go into Amazon electronics, type in your laptop make and model number and add "car adapter"

Make sure it shows a picture of the ciggy plug.

Do note that the ciggy plugs wear out. I've replaced my adapter's plug several times, but this repair might be beyond the comfort level of many.

Next time this one fails, I'm just wiring up an Anderson powerpole connector. I already have one on the adapter input, but not one in the region of the ciggy receptacle where it is drawing power from as I type this.

There are better Ciggy plug/receptacle designs one can use which will last longer, and require no soldering.
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...3072&sr=8-4&keywords=Blue+Sea+Systems+12+Volt

033copy_zps741af5b0.jpg

030copy_zps04221655.jpg

If anybody has a failed car adapter, it is likely just the ciggy plug no longer transmitting 12v to the brick. Wire up the above product for an easy fix.

If anybody is wiring up ciggy plug receptacles, getting quality locking plugs like the above one will save headaches later, which is worth more than what was saved by buying cheaper available plugs/receptacles.

Okay, try not to make too much fun of the old fart who doesn't understand this stuff! :blush: But I'm under the impression there are 3 volt and 5 volt USB devices. Do all USB ports put out 5 volts and then 3 volt devices only draw 3 volts? Or are there 3 volt ports?

I guess the question is, are all USB devices equally chargeable by all USB ports?
Bob

All USB ports are 5 volts DC afaik. Some can only supply 0.5 amps, others can do the 2.1 amps required to charge an Ipad at the full rate.

There are some products which do not operate properly on some of these USB ports even though it claims to provide the necessary current.

If you use Apple products, make sure the reviews/ descriptions of any USB power supply says it works with their Ipad/Iphone.

I have not had any issues with my Blueseas USB port, but I have no apple products.

Most USB ports you see are 5 volt. There's never been a 3 volt USB.
USB v1.0 thru v3.0 are all a 5 volt standard

USB v3.1 has support for 5, 12, and 20 volt devices.

ETA: I use a Blue Sea USB charging port with my little solar panel charger rig that I built. I've charged iPads and iPods with no problems.

I have a little solar charger from Harbor Freight ($20) that cahrges my phome or hotspot. I do not have one for the laptop, yet, but I kmow they are out there.

USB is always 5v, with up to 1v loss in the cable. (So your device may only see 4v.) 500mA is the maximum acording to the standard, and more than 100mA requires negociation with the powering device. Standard is frequently ignored, with some devices taking up to 2A on a USB connector. There are various ways to connect the data pins for a charger to indicate it can supply more power.

Many USB devices regulate the incoming power to 3.3v for their electronics.

This may just be the thing you're looking for ... http://goo.gl/W0oMHX

I own a few of their products and can say that in addition to their great prices, their customer service is outstanding. A friend of mine owns that particular model and has had nothing but good things to say about it.

Do you know if this Anker battery can be charged up using a 12 volt adapter plugged into a vehicle 12 volt outlet? If so, I would find that very useful. But if the battery must only be charged via a household AC outlet, then not so useful.

I use a similar portable battery which is a PowerGen 12,000 mAh unit that can be charged up using my van's 12 volt outlet. Even better, the PowerGen battery can be charged up while simultaneously charging other multiple devices.

I'm always interested in more powerful portable rechargeable batteries, and the Anker 20,000 mAh unit seems the highest capacity I've seen so far. But I'd only be interested if the battery can be charged up via a vehicle 12 volt outlet.

Casey

sl1966 said:
This may just be the thing you're looking for ... http://goo.gl/W0oMHX

I own a few of their products and can say that in addition to their great prices, their customer service is outstanding. A friend of mine owns that particular model and has had nothing but good things to say about it.

Never mind, I think I found the answer. Per Amazon's comments copied below, the Anker battery cannot be charged via a vehicle 12 volt outlet. If that's accurate, that would be too bad.

Amazon comments below:

Eric Hall says:
Can this be charged by a car or rv 12v cigarette lighter port?
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse | Ignore this customer
Do you think this post adds to the discussion? Yes No
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2013 12:59:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2013 2:37:00 PM PDT

jjceo (jjceo@comcast . net) says:
The output of the AC wall charger is 18.5 VDC at 2 amps so your car will not work to charge this because it is 12 volts. You may be able to use an inverter to convert your 12 VDC car to 110VAC and then use their wall charger but I have not tried it.

caseyc said:
Do you know if this Anker battery can be charged up using a 12 volt adapter plugged into a vehicle 12 volt outlet?

When I first saw it, my friend plugged it into an inverter on a 30 minute drive because he didn't remember if he recharged it. We had a carload of people (with some who had forgotten their backup batteries) out to do some Ingress farming.

So yes you can.

This is one of the products I own ... http://goo.gl/w7DzYT ... I use it strictly to keep my phone/tablet going. The other is a cigg lighter recharger in which I've used to recharge the backup battery alongside my phone simultaneously.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-1200...words=powergen+12000mah+external+battery+pack

Nice battery pack you have there. I have a similar one, which is the above link for the PowerGen 12,000 mAh battery. I literally have 5 of these units, plus many others from various brands and power outputs. I like the PowerGen battery cuz it can be juiced up via my van's 12 volt outlet, while simultaneously charging up 3 other devices including my Lenovo Windows tablet, Samsung smartphone, and one more device. I have an upgrade disease, I'm always interested in getting something more powerful than what I currently have, haha!

caseyc said:
Nice battery pack you have there.

Your's is pretty sweet too! My 10k battery is more than enough to keep me Ingress'n all day in which I still have not yet fully drained it. When my SGS2 died I upgraded to the Moto X and the power saving capabilities of that found are astounding compared to my last. So now my backup only comes out after 3 hours instead of one. I was about to invest in the 20k AH batt that I linked here but wound up scoring a backup battery for my laptop for free.