Charge second battery through cigarette lighter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaunt Dusk

Reaction score
I was wondering if it's possible to use your dc outlet to charge a battery inside the vehicle and if it's possible, how do I do it? I've been looking around amazon and I'm wondering if I need something like this http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Button-Cigarette-Lighter-Black/dp/B0090149R0/ref=pd_sim_lg_4 or if it's something entirely different or if I have to worry about blowing something up or lighting something on fire. I would only plug the battery into the outlet when driving and then hopefully I'd be able to hook the battery up to a solar panel perched in the window when not driving.
Does anyone know if this is possible or if this is unsafe?

If you mean a full size house battery, no it will not work properly, and likely is bad for the plug and wires. You need a heavy enough pair of wire from the start battery to the house battery to even come close to charging with the alternator. Best is a change over device to connect the house to alternator.

You make me sad, but thanks for telling me. At least I know now. Guess I'll have to do the alligator clips from under the hood, through the window and to the house battery. Because honestly I have no idea how to charge from the alternator.

Put loop ends or other proper connectors on a set of cables and run that neatly to your house battery. Put a blade switch on the starting battery to shut it off at night so you don't run it down. A blade switch on the house battery would be good too. Wire in a cheap volt meter to monitor batt condition. About the simplest way for a quickie system with minimal demands. Remember a battery is considered "empty" at 12 volts.

Upgrade to a battery isolator and work on improving your system from there.
Solar is your friend, so think in that direction when you can afford it.

I'd say no. I once tried recharging a portable car jumper battery via the van's built-in 12 volt outlet. Although it did charge up the battery for a bit, the end process was that the vehicle's 12 volt fuse got blown out. I had to take the van to the shop to replace the fuse which was a hassle. Lesson learned. I won't do that again.

I wouldn't use the 12 volt port (cig lighter) for much more than charging cell phone and such. We do have a 75w plug-in inverter, but I blew the 15a system fuse once, so rarely use that anymore.
My 400 W inverter came with a 12 V plug like that one and I tossed it into the junk...errr, parts box and got good cable for the 4' run to the house batts.
The wires to the 12V port just aren't 'phat' enough for heavy loads ;)

be careful disconnecting all batteries while vehicle is running. there are some reports of alternator failure when the charge load is quickly cut.

on newer computer vehicles do not ever at anytime disconnect the battery with the engine running. highdesertranger

Charging through the ciggy plug is possible, but certainly not the best, safest or most effective method.

First limitation is the vehicles original wiring. Long and thin with too many connections, voltage drop becomes a real issue, and the lower the voltage, the lower the charge rate making it to the distant battery. Most ciggy plug receptacles can realistically handle about 10 amps or less, and the plugs themselves usually can handle less than that. It is a spring loaded connection requiring steel springs to pass the current. Not an Ideal conductor, it heats up, causes more resistance, and heats up more. Finally the springs lose their spring, and the problem compounds on itself, until the center coil spring melts into the plastic housing.

Second id the fusing. A depleted battery, even a small one, can pull enough current to blow a fuse. Plug in an 11.5 volt battery to the system providing 14.4 volts, and enough current can flow to blow a 15 amp fuse, and most ciggy plugs are fused for only 10 amps or so.
Hopefully this is not something which requires you to run to a service department, but fuses are not cheap, and if they are, they are chinese, and will likely NOT blow at their labelled rating.

Third is if the vehicle's ciggy plug is not live with the ignition off, and you leave this battery connected, this battery can be powering things you might not want it to be powering. The stereo might still work with the key out of the ignition, the windows might too. Depends on the vehicle. All sorts of weird things can happen if there is an additional power source feeding power from an area not intended.

Generally a smaller battery hooked through a ciggy plug will not cause a load dump situation on an alternator if it is removed. It is possible, and newer vehicles with massive amounts of electronics in an attempt to make everything convienent, easy and idiot proof, actually make things more complicated.

My older vehicle, I can and do decide to remove my hungry house batteries from the alternator circuit making the alternator go from producing 60+ amps to about 10. No issues. I do this because it will cause the belt to squeal at higher rpms and I don;t like listening to that

If one really wants to charge an additional lead acid battery inside the vehicle, a dedicated circuit should be wired up. Connected to the main battery, fused at the main battery, and close to the auxiliary battery as well. The wiring should be 10 awg. The battery should be an AGM.

Wires should Not be run through the door seal!!!. This will not only damage the door seal, it can also cause a direct short and fry various parts of your vehicles electrical system. This is why you fused at both ends of the wire though.

There are all sorts of firewall pass throughs from the factory. Just have a look and find a way to get wires behind the dash from the engine compartment. Again, not difficult.

In general Ciggy plugs are standard, and convenient, but are poor connections, and if a connections needs to be reliable, and pass more than 75 watts for any length of time, a better method/ connector should be utilized.

I recently acquired some Anderson powerpoles that did not even get warm passing 30 amps.
001copy_zps17f77645.jpg

the 12v SAE connector on the bottom of the photo is just for size reference. I do not trust these SAE connectors to pass more than 15 amps when new, and not more than 10amps when older and well used

I also recently acquired a Blueseas Ciggy plug and outlet that are built to a much higher standard:

http://www.amazon.com/High-Quality-...8&sr=1-2&keywords=blue+sea+1011+12v+dc+socket

They require very modest skills to attach to existing devices. If you need to pay someone else to replace a fuse for you, then do not attempt to do so.
033copy_zpsbf3794fc.jpg

I bought this for my 90 watt Laptop DC to DC car adapter. It has gone through 4 ciggy plugs I salvaged from other devices over the last 3 years. I have not yet wired it up because the last time it failed all that was required was a new center coil spring and fuse. I also took my dremel and ground some teeth into the ground springs which push against the walls of the receptacle. It is when the "tip" spring pushes the connector out of the receptacle that most of the heat issues develop. If the tip spring remains compressed, the connection is much more electrically and physically sound. The 'teeth' I dremeled into the ground springs keep the tip spring from backing it out of the connector, at least so far.

SternWake said:
In general Ciggy plugs are standard, and convenient, but are poor connections, and if a connections needs to be reliable, and pass more than 75 watts for any length of time, a better method/ connector should be utilized.

That's too cautious. What you can handle depends on the wiring of your car. For my '84 Chevy Citation II V6 carbureted 4-door hatchback, I looked up the wiring specs in my paper copy of the factory service manual. I don't remember all the details, it's been awhile, but the wires for my cigarette lighter can handle 20 amps, and that's what they're fused for. I got a 200 watt Wagan power inverter with 2 plugs on it. That was the biggest inverter that seemed to safely match what my wiring was capable of. I've run combos of devices on it, like my laptop + an external laptop battery recharger. Granted the draw of the devices I happened to run probably didn't amount to so much, but one is a 90W power brick and the other is a 50W external charger. Combined it's a pretty sure bet I've run higher than 75W with no issues.

I think a lot of the gloom and doom people hear about wiring is for 10 amp wires. Which may not be what your cig lighter has at all, it may be 20 amp like mine. Check your factory service manual (the one that mechanics use to repair cars with, that has wiring diagrams) or get on a mailing list for your car and ask gurus about it.

I've blown the fuse for my lighter before. I was probing the socket directly with a multimeter to try to read the voltage, and I touched my leads. Oops. Well that might have been a $0.25 fuse replacement, only because those teeny weeny standard fuses are egregiously priced. YMMV but I don't get that claim earlier in this thread about fuses being expensive for some reason. A typical box of assorted fuses is a $4 investment at an auto parts store. Yeah there are big all-weather fuses elsewhere in the car, that take some work to get at, but that's not what you're blowing when your cig lighter overloads. It's just little fuses in the fuse box in your glove compartment, typically.

Sometimes cigarette lighter connectors work fine for years, but I've had enough failures that I simply won't deal with them any more than I have to. My latest failure was with the 12v adapter I got for my laptop. After a couple of months of use I smelled smoke and eventually traced it to the melted plug. Luckily it melted slowly enough for me to figure out the problem before causing any more damage. Even when they don't melt, the connections often require occasional fiddling with to get working again.

Whenever possible I hard wire or use Anderson Powerpole connections for everything.

In any case, for charging a house battery you need some heavy wire going straight from the starter battery (or other suitable point, which will vary from vehicle to vehicle) to the house battery. You're dealing with too much amperage to take shortcuts on this.

Some of the new Cig lighters are not rated for full time use and some are. Check your specks. If it has "20 amps" written on it it should handle a 10 amp load. IF possible put a 10 amp regulator to charge the battery.