Charge port wearing out on your device?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD GUMBEE

Reaction score
sitting on a river-bridge playing the banjo...
I just wanted to mention one of the best low-cost add-ons you can get for a cell phone/tablet/e-reader.

I have tried three different styles of magnetic charge ports. Two of them made data transfer unreliable and slow.
One of those was so cheaply made, it came apart in my hand the second day of use.
Finally, I found one that is built STRONG and does the data transfers without issue.

On Amazon, "Smart&Cool ® 5 Feet Gen4 Nylon Braided 2 in 1 Two-mode Super Magnetic Charging & Data Transfer Cable for Smart Phone and Tablets with Micro-USB and i-Product (5ft-Silver Twin Pack)"

$17 for two and they come with IPAD style inserts and standard inserts.

You just pop the insert into your device and when the charge cable gets anywhere near it, the thing snaps into place for you.

This add-on will make a tablet last virtually forever, since every single tablet failure (and about 70% of cell phone failures) relate to the charge/data port getting loose or cracking the circuit board due to being dropped on the charge cord or just repeated in-out of daily charging.

Mrs GUMBEE and I bought Kindle FIRE-8's for our X-mas presents to each other.
On $50 special, with one of these cables and a protective case makes the tablet virtually bomb-proof.

(Cannot believe how much we use the FIRE tablets. Budget-conscience mobile folk should all have one. Once you run the Google app-store workaround, they work identical to a cell phone...with a huge screen that plays movies and can take a large memory stick. I am astounded they can sell these for $80, let alone when they go on special for $50. One of the best deals I have ever personally seen for Internet travel people.)

Thank you for that lead!

My phone(s) and my Kindle are both becoming problematic when trying to plug in a charger cord.

I have 3 right now and the kindle only charges on one of them and the HTC phone I use stateside only likes my 5' cord. The Samsung that is used in Canada only likes the 12V phone charger plug...sigh! Keeping them straight as to which one works with what item is a PITA!

You've prompted me to stop at Best Buy and check out the Fire 8 ($59). I have the 7" version and it's too small for easy reading of email,etc.

I was astounded.
The "8" is just a little bit bigger, but well worth the price of upgrade.

Besides a magnetic charger, there are two more things to make the tablet work so well, you may toss the laptop...
1. One of the bluetooth keyboards.
This is the one I got:
Bluetooth Keyboard, Vive Comb 7-Colors Backlit Universe Compact Portable Wireless 3.0 Keyboard for iOS, Android, Windows with a Foldable Multi-angle Cell Phone Stand Desktop Holder, Black
2. A protector case.
This is the one Mrs Gumbee has:
Fintie Shockproof Case for All-New Amazon Fire HD 8 Tablet (7th Gen 2017) - [Tuatara Magic Ring] [360 Rotating] Multi-Functional Grip Stand Protective Carry Cover w/ Built-in Screen Protector, Black

The 360 degree swivel-stand and keyboard make it a touch-screen laptop.
90% of the people who are mobile could use this setup as their one machine to get online/books/movies...etc.
Truly amazing.

With the case, keyboard and a mem card, you have a VERY capable rugged device that does everything for less than $125 all-in.
Hope you enjoy it!

PS, look up how to get Google App Store on it. It is a pretty simple procedure. You do not have to "root" it at all.
All the Amazon stuff is unchanged, but you have access to thousands of apps that Amazon keeps from you.

Is this where I can bitch a bit about the MacBook Pro not having a goddamn earphone jack.....?

:)

I figure there would be an adapter with an earphone jack for that by now lenny.

lenny flank said:
Is this where I can bitch a bit about the MacBook Pro not having a goddamn earphone jack.....?

:)

Yes. This is also where PC people can tell you, "that's what you get for buiny a Mac."

Unfortunately though I think the PC/Mac debate will be ended for us soon enough as tablets etc become the primary means of home computing. It recently occurred to me that the average 18 year-old doesn't know how to type on a keyboard now. Everything is touch screen.

Can I be an old curmudgeon at 30?

Brilliant concept. If you search Amazon for "magnetic connector" you will also find other brands. There are also right angle versions. Some are charge only. If you want data, make sure you get the kind that do both charge and data.

One thing to keep in mind is that many/most of the magnetic charging/data cords are for low power (5v 2.1A) devices. I tried to use one for charging a Dell Venue 11 Pro and no dice. I think that some of the USB C versions are higher power. ..Willy.