charge controller giving inaccurate SoC reading.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K1ngN0thing

Reaction score
My Morningstar TS-45 PWM has both the yellow and red LEDs lit, indicating a 0-35% state of charge. This is inaccurate, as my battery is at 12.6v, or around 80%. I don't have the LCD panel so I don't really know what's going on. What could cause this inaccuracy?

Also, the Green LED is completely off, which I'm assuming indicates that it isn't charging my battery. It's pretty low light right now, so I'll check it again tomorrow.

Alright, so it looks like the SoC indication is only on when it is, in fact, charging, but I still don't know why it's not detecting the true state of charge.

K1ngN0thing or KN as I'll call you if you don't mind>?

I use the same controller. I too originally thought mine was off but not so, Take mesurements using a VOM at the Battery. I presume you did use the Battery monitoring option>

I have a laptop connected to mine and log it's operation everyonce in a while for fun. It's been really good to me and I have stopped looking at the leds now altogether. I just check things out every now and again.

BTW what batteries are you charging> Also I noticed that when the CC is not actually charging you will get a yellow light sooner than you might expect, yet your battery is still very full.

Mike R

K1ngN0thing said:
How do you monitor with a laptop? I might go this route instead of spending $100 down the line for the face panel.

I'm also curious about this.

battery monitoring by Solar charge controllers is largely a big guess. It is done by measuring the current required to hold absorption voltage. The lower the current required the higher the state of charge.

But there are so many variables to this as to make any displays by such a method just about worthless. First the solar controller has no Idea how much juice is going to power loads vs how much is going into the battery(s), Second all batteries differ in the amount of juice required to hold a battery at absorption voltage. Third this amount of current changes as the battery ages, and changes at different temperatures.

So the whole state of charge display on a solar controller is basically some warm and fuzzy bells and whistles, signifying nothing.

The only real way to have an accurate battery state of charge is with a battery monitor that has a Shunt that can measure amps flowing in and out of a battery. these, when properly programmed, and wired, can do well upto the 95% accuracy range, but they also need to be rezeroed fairly frequently or the accuracy drifts.

If the charge controller stores data than can be downloaded to a laptop, by all means this is valuable information which can allow the user to learn their system very well but any state of charge readings without a separate shunt that actually can count amps flow into and out of the battery is Not accurate, and if the user does put a lot of weight to the readings, can negatively affect battery longevity through false confidence.

Remember just because a charge controller drops out of absorption stage and goes to float stage does not mean the battery was fully charged, it only means the absorption voltage was held as long as it was programmed to do so.

Ideal absorption voltage and duration are a moving target, figured out with an Ammeter and a hydrometer, and by trial and error, so any stock controller settings employed are just a general area which likely will not fully charge a battery.
The flashing green 'full charge' light, without verification, means NOTHING, and if believed, can lead to premature battery failure.

Trust if you want, but verify before completely trusting your confidence in the charge controller.

New flooded batteries should have their baseline maximum specific gravity recorded. For maximum battery lifespan, Absorption voltage is then to be held as long as it takes for specific gravity to rise to within 0.005 of this maximum baseline. Anything less is a compromise to some degree or another.

AGM batteries are considered fully charged when it only takes 0.5% of capacity in current to hold the battery at the manufacturer recommended absorption voltage at 77F/. 0.5 amps per 100AH of battery capacity. If your charge controller reverts to float before amps taper to 0.5 per 100AH of battery capacity, your AGM battery is not happy and will not last as long as if it were held at absorption voltage longer.

So in both cases the duration at which the battery is held at absorption voltage is the key to fully charging the battery and getting maximum service life from it.

Ideal absorption voltage and duration are different for each and every battery.
preprogrammed absorption voltages and durations are compromises, largely hit and miss.

Do not let blinking green lights soothe you, unless you have programmed Absorption voltage and duration Via an Ammeter and or Hydrometer and reconfirm it every 60 cycles or so.

Wildly Incorrect ABSV and duration can destroy a battery in 200 cycles or less, where as proper ABSV and duration can yield 500 cycles or more, depending on the quality of the battery and depth of discharge

I've noticed the R/Y - G/Y fault code periodically comes on. After following this chart http://support.morningstarcorp.com/...4/07/TS.TST_.RY_GY_Fault_Flowchart.01.EN_.pdf it appears my controller is faulty. Due to my procrastination on installing everything, I've missed my return window by 3 months. Here's hoping the seller is understanding, or that's $160 down the drain. Really can't afford to lose that kind of money. I bought everything on credit. Ah well, my own fault.

Call Morningstar!! You bought a quality controller from a company with a very good reputation. I'm sure they will make it right.
bob

I agree with Bob. this goes for everything you buy that has a failure not just solar controllers. if the place you bought it will not help you out go to the manufacturer. make sure you let the manufacturer know you bought their doo dad because of their excellent reputation for quality(I hope that's true) and that such and such retailer was no help. you would be surprised at the results. highdesertranger

You spent the money on a quality product from a company with a very good reputation. Give them a chance to make it right.
Bob

Retailer just got back to me and are willing to take it back. That's a load off. New controller on the way and $90 back in my pocket.

from the posts it seems maybe you did get a bad one,. Sorry I couldn't post more yet, Got to pay the bills before I can spend time here.

BTW with regards to the laptop, the TS-45 has a serial port and if you use a serial to USB adapter(one they recommend) or have a serial port on the laptop then you can gain a tremendous amount of information from there software. You can also program settings into it in addition to the dip switch settings. I;ve found that the data collected is very accurate.

Mike R

PS $90.00 back? did you go with a different CC?