Changing to Lithuim Batteries.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amigatec

Reaction score
Ok I just installed 2 100watt Renergy panels with a Renergy 40amp MPPT controller. I also have 2 Interstate Group 24 Deep Cycle batteries.
I have a [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]2012 Freelander 21QB [/font]Class C with the batteries under the step. The battery box is only big enough for 2 GP 24 batteries.

I do plan to add 2 more 100watt panels to the roof. I what also like to replace the Interstates with 2 Renergy 100aH Lithium batteries. The Renergy batteries should fit in the box the BattleBorns will not.

Now I know I need to replace the convertor with one that is compatible with the Lithiums, I do not know what model or brand of convertor it has in it now.

The other option would be to add 2 more batteries in the basement compartment, but that adds more to the RV.

What would be the best way to approach this?

Welcome to the CRVL forums Amigatec! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I am in a similar state as you. I have 2 x 100 Eco-Worthy solar panels and a 100ah Mighty Max battery also a 40 amp Renogy Rover controller. I am going to add a Battle Born in parallel. I also have a 32 ah home made battery that the MM is already in parallel with. I am constantly juggling the generator and solar. I can't wait to expand it with the extra battery and more panels. Don't buy a Mighty Max. The battery is ok but they provide zero information and there is virtually no warranty.
Battle Borns are on sale now for $950 and if ordered by phone they will knock off another $50. For the made in America and 10 year warranty I'll spend the extra money.
Mighty Max is an office in Brooklyn on the water and they drop ship from ????? No clue. They do not answer emails and duck and dive to get out of warranty stuff. When somebody tells you that you should take your battery to Autozone to have it checked you know you are in trouble.

I may just add extra batteries in the storage compartment, but that means all the batteries, the 50 gal fresh water, the 16 gal propane, the fridge, and the basement storage, are all on the same side.

It is easier to just add extra batteries, about the only thing I use the battery for is, the computer (Mac Mini), and the 43" TV that doubles as the monitor.

I just don't want to run out of battery in the middle of the night.

OK I've done some more research, I have a WFCO 8955PEC Power Center. WFCO doesn't make the same model for Lithium batteries, this is the Lithium upgrade convertor that I need to buy WFCO 8950L2-MBA model.

Lithiums require 14.6 volts for a full charge, the convertor in my RV is set for 14.4 volts. Since I have solar will it charge the batteries all the way to 14.6, even when on shore power?

If I drop a couple of grand on batteries I sure don't want to burn them up.

izifaddag said:
I am in a similar state as you. I have 2 x 100 Eco-Worthy solar panels and a 100ah Mighty Max battery also a 40 amp Renogy Rover controller. I am going to add a Battle Born in parallel. I also have a 32 ah home made battery that the MM is already in parallel with. I am constantly juggling the generator and solar. I can't wait to expand it with the extra battery and more panels. Don't buy a Mighty Max. The battery is ok but they provide zero information and there is virtually no warranty.
Battle Borns are on sale now for $950 and if ordered by phone they will knock off another $50. For the made in America and 10 year warranty I'll spend the extra money.
Mighty Max is an office in Brooklyn on the water and they drop ship from ????? No clue. They do not answer emails and duck and dive to get out of warranty stuff. When somebody tells you that you should take your battery to Autozone to have it checked you know you are in trouble.

Is that your review on Amazon? I just read reviews this morning. I check every now and then. I had always heard good things about MM, so I took a chance on their lithium. Haven’t reinstalled my solar or used the RV much due to COVID, so I can’t say how well they’re working.

I was wondering if it would be ok to add a BB to my system. I have room under the couch for more batteries, and it’s next to the compartment with the battery and inverter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want your battery bank to all have the same chemistry (and capacity) so the charging profiles are the same.

I researched changing to lithium. A good solar controller can be programmed to keep lithiums happy. Changing the converter to a lithium model is needed if you are going to charge from shore power and if you are charging from the alternator, a battery to battery charger setup for lithium will be required.

I didn't dig into battle borns but have heard they are supposed to be plug and play. I don't know if this is true.

Try not to be so angry... like we said.. no one is blaming you.

I ran an ISP for a long time, ran BBS software prior, I've done every job there is in building and operating the Internet and computers.

One truth is.. if it runs at all it should be just amaze balls amazing.

There are layers of software in operations on each end on the connection for the service. With an issue like this one, with out being able to replicate it, it is near impossible to resolve it.

I have started to look into the issue a bit deeper to see what I can figure out. It would help to know what your Operating system is, what browser you are using, what firewall/virus software you have running, how you connect to the internet.. .thanks