Cat veranda Mk. 1

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainrick

Reaction score
Well, my house sold much faster than I had anticipated which resulted in my having to be off the property last Thursday with a long list of unfinished items for the RV, top of that list being an enclosure for my cats to go outside securely. I found a campground 10 minutes from my house in the next town over and have been here since. The campground is called The Pines in Ashby, Mass. and they could not be more helpful and accommodating. I built the enclosure Thursday and Friday right at my site, the only request being I didn't make a racket over the weekend. Fair enough. Finished it up Friday evening and this is what I wound up with, the top and bottom fold in half and the three sides are interlocked with the top and bottom. I installed an aluminum channel on the RV which mates with aluminum angle at the back of the floor. The front is suspended by the two chains running from the RV to an aluminum tube under the floor. Disassembled and folded, the whole unit rides nicely on the cargo rack at the rear of the RV for travel. I installed a cat door in the side of the RV and that was that. The cats took to it slowly at first but have started to really enjoy being out in it. I have a few more details to finish up but I think this setup ought to work out pretty well.....so far, so good. Thanks, Rick

Attachments

• 20180609_174451.jpg
    20180609_174451.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 20180610_130157.jpg
    20180610_130157.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20180611_103138.jpg
    20180611_103138.jpg
    937.2 KB · Views: 22
I love it, what a great idea and what an awesome job installing it. I really have been trying to figure out something like this for my cats. Small upper or lower deck and there would be a great place for the cat litter box when parked.

Very cool but wow huge! I bet the cats would get along just as well with something smaller should you ever decide to go that way.

Dingfelder, Rick says he’s going to put a litter box in there, so there is room for that! If I could make one it would fit a tree ?

We did something similar and took an idea we found in another forum.  We got one of those portable dog cages and hung it using window screen hanging clips.  I installed them above one of my truck camper windows so our cat can go in and out.00000232 (2) (640x427).jpg00000236 (640x427).jpg

Attachments

• 00000232 (2) (640x427).jpg
    00000232 (2) (640x427).jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 00000236 (640x427).jpg
    00000236 (640x427).jpg
    199 KB · Views: 11
That is terrific what a great idea! I have a van so I’m still thinking on how I would do my catio. I’m still building. ?

Grim Beret said:
Dingfelder, Rick says he’s going to put a litter box in there, so there is room for that! If I could make one it would fit a tree ?

I was saying it looked huge because I've seen pics a few times of people doing that with their house.  They said their cats absolutely loved pretty small ones ... basically just something big enough for their cat to sleep on and watch nature and get some fresh air from, like a shelf.  The contrast between small ones on a house and a big one on an RV was just striking to me.

I'm glad people are happy with whatever they do, of course.  I just think the cat probably doesn't need a real "room" out there.

I am going to try this! I had a different plan, but my timeline for needing a place for my kitties has accelerated. . .any ideas on attaching to minivan?

Two cats: 13# & 9#.

TIA.
Jules

Allofjules If you’re in a minivan with two cats whew! What an experience! I would for sure invest in a veranda and the setup really depends on your vehicle and your cats! City kitty has alot of prebuilt kits you can attach to one of your windows you have to find some way to make it snug modify yourself. Of course you can also get material and build yourself I don’t recommend those fabric tent things they sell on Amazon, I got one and my cat destroyed it in an hour! They need freedom to go back inside when they wish! Hope this helps!

Sure seems like a guilt-free way to get out and about on a hot day without worrying about roasting your cat (or small dog?) back in the vehicle.