CarolynsRVLife ebook - How I got 20,000 subscribers in 40 days

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free2enjoy

Reaction score
I've really been enjoying Carolyn's YouTube channel and it's remarkable how hungry people are to devour these simply videos of authentic, simply, free living!  I know I'm hooked!  

It's really a form of a conversation where a sincere friend is speaking through the video about her trials and tribulations of her experiences and how she feels about her experiences.   And I've watched a lot of channels and the simple formula seems to be observing an honest, transparent, heartfelt person share....period....

The channels I don't like watching are where the content is black and white, technical, how-to, without any personal expression of feelings.   I fast forward through these or stop watching them.

By the host expressing feelings about what is going on, then it feels like friendship and conversation.

Here's a link to Carolyn's ebook for becoming successful on YouTube, which in part means generating income from ad revenue.   I got no clue how much that can be.  But I enjoy her channel and post this in support of her work.

http://www.carolynsrvlife.com/20000-youtube-subscribers-40-days/

I don't know how people can watch a whole video. It's like watching someone talking to themselves.

I'm more of a "human interest story" fan. I search for the technical stuff when I'm working on a project. But when I'm doing chores and want to have something to listen to, then I like the folks that tell their story and since I'm a newbie to the nomad lifestyle (I'm fulltime in my 5th wheel but not travelling as a nomad....it's just my living arrangement), the daily diary format helps me learn while I multitask.

gsfish said:
I guess that I gravitate to the technical, how-to stuff. To each his (or her or whatever) own I guess. I also read about 99% non-fiction so maybe those go together.

Guy

I'm the same way.  I like the videos that I learn stuff from.  No time for fluff or annoyances or e-beggers.

Everyone wants to be a YouTube star... blah. Unless it's something I want to learn my eyes glaze over at uninteresting fluff.

I think YouTube simply gives people a way to share their “abundance” with others, that’s it very fulfilling to those making the videos. In this case the abundance is their experience solving problems in their RV life.

That someone has a large following IMO means that this person is helping others in some way.

No doubt the prospect of earning ad revenue or to advertise ones own products and services is a motivator but the nuance is this...the person is producing the videos with no fee attached to get the information. So what this means is the person is sharing, not selling.

When I come across someone like Bob Wells that has really make a mark on my life, I want to give back. I’m actually frustrated that he doesn’t have a donate button because I would like to give a gift of thanks for his sincere efforts to help others. This isn’t charity but a way to express love to someone that loves (shares) through this medium of YouTube.

If you really want to give back, pass it on to someone in need. I am not speaking for Bob, but I have seen him say he has no real “needs” other than a quiet place. 

I don’t do YouTube because I would rather live than watch someone else talk about it.

I am completely baffled by these "utube personalities".

They seem to think that they can use anyone for their content. Privacy as a concept is rather lost on many of them. At least one I met was caught surreptitiously recording people after being told not to.

I tried to watch one....having only recently learned about this happening....I found it dumb. Why watch someone talk to themself about themself?

I have watched many how to videos... like how to crimp Anderson power poles. But..watch someone talk about inane things? Rather get some extra sleep.

On the book, I will read it if I ever decide to do you tube but I suspect the changes you tube has made would affect the value. on the rest of it, they are called channels for a reason. You can change the channel if you do not like it.

VanKitten said:
I am completely baffled by these "utube I tried to watch one....having only recently learned about this happening....I found it dumb. Why watch someone talk to themself about themself?

I'm with you Kat. It's worse than going to someone's house and they bring out the baby photo album. What especially is pathetic is meeting these people and them thinking they are stars. I guess they think it's a good way to beg for money instead of earning it.

Who wants to watch other people's home movies and why on earth do they think anyone gives a crap about their ultra boring life? Put some decent instructional videos (and I mean good ones) out there and if it's something I need to know then I'll look.

Thank you for saying what needed to be said about the vanity and banality of these "YouTube stars".

Cammalu said:
Who wants to watch other people's home movies and why on earth do they think anyone gives a crap about their ultra boring life?  

I do! I don't find it boring.  It's a way for me to enjoy what being on the road is like since I'm not actually on the road just yet.  :D  I find a lot of their personalities entertaining and I love seeing what daily life on the road is like.  It inspires me and gives me ideas.  No need to bash what others enjoy... just change the channel to something you find interesting  ;)

AdventurousAdriana said:
I do! I don't find it boring.  It's a way for me to enjoy what being on the road is like since I'm not actually on the road just yet.  :D  I find a lot of their personalities entertaining and I love seeing what daily life on the road is like.  It inspires me and gives me ideas.  No need to bash what others enjoy... just change the channel to something you find interesting  ;)

I’m with you on that....I curious how being on the road affects them, what the scenery looks like, how their rig is set up and what rig they chose and how it’s working for them, etc...

Eventually, I move on once I’m not learning anymore and find the next mentor.

I have had a look and did not find it interesting. No further judgments or need to make sense of motivations behind the videos. If it is not harming anyone and gets them through the day, the behaviours of others belongs to them.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again,

because there is no effort without error and shortcoming;

but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause;

who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly,

so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt

JHey It is interesting to read all the different viewpoints. Thanks for sharing yours.

I am not by any stretch a Youtube star nor do I aspire to be. However, I do enjoy making videos, the creative process and sharing my stories, thoughts and adventures.

Making vids that I would like to watch is my endgame. This is not easy nor has it earned me a rabid following. I am OK with that because I make them for myself and for the folks who get it.

My channel is monetized. I don’t mind making a few bucks for my creative efforts and see nothing wrong with that.

If someone wants to help support my efforts they can purchase some of my art. In my opinion it’s a win-win.

As for what I personally watch on you tube, It runs from music vids to tutorials and how to’s.  I also watch vloggers who can tell an interesting story or keep me watching by way of unique editing techniques.

Having said all that, I too have grown tired of the narcissism and played out internet marketing strategies that now pervades social media.

Recently, I have pulled the plug on my own efforts to build a fan base using strategies learned in books and online courses alongside everyone else who dreams of making a living by way of the web.

Nowadays, I am striving to create original content on my own terms and focus selling my art face to face in the real world. This is where I have seen real results with meaningful interactions.

Following step by step modules laid out by self proclaimed marketing gurus did not yield worthwhile results for me. However, your mileage may vary.

If you want to check my vids out, my channel it can be found at https://www.youtube.com/user/chongolio

to each his own ... i personally like her videos. It only takes a few minutes out of my life, love seeing where she camps, enjoy her happiness and zest for life and have mad respect for anyone who leaves the human rat race to find themself and enjoy life

i give a few dollars a month to her fund, doesn't hurt my lifestyle a bit but helps her live her dream.
I was so happy she was able to update her rig and continue her journey in life

AND NO I WILL NOT GIVE TO YOUR FUND

I can understand everyone's perspective and opinion.
It's interesting seeing where they are coming from and a reflection of where they are in life at this moment.

Love, like, dislike, enjoy, learning, been there done that, exploring, impatient, knowledge, can relate, indifferent, entertained or not. Positive or negative. All coming from motives, interests and state of mind resulting in different impacts.
This is what makes the world an interesting place.
Choices.
Coexist.

akrvbob said:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again,

because there is no effort without error and shortcoming;

but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause;

who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly,

so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt

Are we still talking about YouTube videos? 

Really?

Reno said:
Are we still talking about YouTube videos? 

Really?

I think he’s talking about those walking the walk for all to see, the highs and the lows, in the videos versus the peanut gallery criticizing from their comfy armchairs.