Carla's Camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you:) I do stay warm once I am under the covers. But I learned that there is some really bad info floating around regarding memory foam, lol. That stuff is horrid. And it's not just because it turns into concrete when cold. When warm it is like quick sand. It is hard to scoot across the bed on that stuff. Even harder to get out of bed. Last night i had to put a blanket and an afghan under the sheets, because the foam was so cold.
You might consider a natural latex foam mattress instead. It doesn't have the issue of getting hard in very cold weather.

I have always used cheap nylon sleeping bags from Walmart as mattress covers. I just sew the openings closed encasing the mattress. It makes a nice pillow top type mattress out of any type foam that is cheap to replace every so often.

Last edited:
Because I can't help myself and like to learn things, I looked up your converter.

Apparently it'll do the trick, but isn't well regarded. After reading some RV forum threads, there is a (relatively) more cost upgrade than will allow your electrical system to work better for you.

They almost all say to call this person and consult with them.

https://www.bestconverter.com/Upgrade-Kits-for-MagnetekParallax_c_64.html

Yep, in the last picture that 15 amp breaker that is labeled rear is tripped (the one setting slightly lower than the others) needs to be pushed down then pushed up till it clicks and stays in place like the others. Once you do that you should have power. If it trips again there is too much load on that circuit or the breaker has been tripped so many times it has gotten “weak” and needs to be replaced.
Yup. I flipped it last night and checked the outlet. It works again. The manual said the same thing: they get worn out and need to be replaced sometimes

Because I can't help myself and like to learn things, I looked up your converter.

Apparently it'll do the trick, but isn't well regarded. After reading some RV forum threads, there is a (relatively) more cost upgrade than will allow your electrical system to work better for you.

They almost all say to call this person and consult with them.

https://www.bestconverter.com/Upgrade-Kits-for-MagnetekParallax_c_64.html
Thanks so much! As soon as I found the power center I noticed that mine is a 6300, not 7300 as mentioned repeatedly in the manual. I'll read up at the link. thx.

TIP: If upgrading any Parallax 7300 or 8300 series converter, you already have a modern DC fuse board and can skip the instructions for replacing the fuse board. If you have any 6300 series, you DO need to replace the (included) DC fuse board.

So glad you found that stealthy power center!

:cool:

Indeed.

I googled her make/model trying to find the location, nothing was specific to that model, but one other by the maker was under the fridge similar to my older winnebago. Oh well, it looks like shes on the right track and got the breaker kicked back on.

Last weekend it was 22 F outside. I checked my van (was at home so it was parked outside) and it was 24F inside. I plugged in my smnall portable heater and two hours later it was 80F inside! It was plugged into a 20 amp breaker and no problems. When I don't have shore power I use the Coleman Catalytic Heater and it keeps me pretty warm.

For sure! Have u priced Crisco lately? I believe it went up to 3 times what it was a couple of years ago
I've gotta admit that using a lard heater wouldn't be high on my desirability list either. But, if I were cold enough and had limited choices, I'd pick it before freezing. :) I wonder why Bob didn't mention this issue. Oh well...

The title of the video is “72 HOURS EMERGENCY HEAT and Light with Crisco Candle…”

If you found yourself in an emergency situation, without heat or fuel, this could be a lifesaver.

Not a first choice, and not advertised as such.

The price of the green propane 1lb bottles also had a significant price increase this year.

Lol. What movie was that from? I remember thinking it was pretty ingenious. Albeit disgusting.

I think you'd need to do something similar with the Crisco candle... like put it under your coat.

My mechanic needs to know the total weight of my camper (fully loaded) and if my trailer has brakes. He Is going to order a receiver hitch for the back... to tow the trailer.

But I might need one for the front, too. Is that what is needed to carry a bicycle on the front?

Edit: below is a sticker from inside my trailer cabinets

Attachments

• towing1zz.jpg
    towing1zz.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 0
These are the numbers you can give him.
39878-3cbafed0cfac6e6a7f12cd1f87519a87 (2).jpeg
The lower weight is your trailer with only generator fluids if you have one.

The higher weight is the max your trailer can support loaded up.

I know it says on the paper. But just making sure it's simple to understand, as that's a lot of type on that paper.

I actually got tripped up because the initial numbers I cut were kilograms and not pounds. Glad I caught that.

Last edited:
So the higher number is what I should give him to be safe? I don't think I have a generator. It would have an outside door, right?

About 6000 lbs is your trailer gross weight, and about 900 pounds, more or less, will be your tongue weight.

You are likely going to need a class 4 (or higher) weight distributing hitch.

And yes, that trailer is required to have, and came from the factory with, electric brakes.

You will need a 7 pin RV receptacle near the rear hitch and an electric brake controller.

It is common for older trailers to have some problems with the electric brakes, so you should budget for that as well.