Cargo 6 x 12 or 14?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlreadyGone

Reaction score
Will be towing with a 2000 Astro AWD with towing/hauling. Will be adding a heavy-duty trans cooler.

Trailer will be 6'-6'6" interior height. Single axle.

6 x 12's are a dime-a-dozen, so not sure if I will be buying new, but I have my eyes open for something used.

I was going to go 6' x 10', but I realized that 12' would be more practical for a minor increase in weight (100lbs) and cost.

Now I'm wondering about the practicality of a 6' x 14'? More cost, an additional 100lbs, more difficult to find used. Approach and departure angles?

I will likely go with a new 6' x 12', but I'd like to get some thoughts on why or why not to consider the 14'.

Are you going solo? If so, smaller is easier to mess with, for two people I'd go 14', gives you juuust enough extra room to move around.

GypsyDogs said:
I've got a nice 6x14 v-nose with extras..

interested?

lol

Uhmmmm, actually I was just reading your thread on that trailer, but decided to see if I had any responses here,...so I think I'll pass. Appreciate the offer though! :p

Queen said:
Are you going solo?  If so, smaller is easier to mess with, for two people I'd go 14', gives you juuust enough extra room to move around.

Solo. I'm thinking the 12' will be the right fit, and much easier to buy new or used, but I'm hoping to gain some insight as to why a 14' might be a better or worse choice...before I get committed to something.

what engine 4.3L? what the rated tow capacity? 14' is getting into dual axle territory. highdesertranger

Astro AWD with 4.3 = tow cap 5800 lb, requires weight distributing hitch, 3.73 axle ratio, sway control if trailer over 200 lb / 200 lb tongue weight

highdesertranger said:
what engine 4.3L?  what the rated tow capacity?  14' is getting into dual axle territory.  highdesertranger

Yep, Vortec 4.3L 190hp. Considered dual axle for a number of reasons, but I think I'll go with the weight and cost savings of the single. I'd prefer dual, but this just isn't the right situation.

ArtW said:
Astro AWD with 4.3 = tow cap 5800 lb, requires weight distributing hitch, 3.73 axle ratio, sway control if trailer over 200 lb / 200 lb tongue weight

It has a GU6 code on the passenger door, so that indicates it has a 3.42 axle ratio. I had trouble finding it at first...but I managed to find it.

AlreadyGone said:
It has a GU6 code on the passenger door, so that indicates it has a 3.42 axle ratio. I had trouble finding it at first...but I managed to find it.

The 3.42 axle ratio is the one that will give the best fuel economy.  However, it's probably the poorest choice for pulling a trailer.  It's going to multiply the engine torque - already pretty anemic on a V6 - LESS than a 3.73 or lower ration would.  In short, less pulling power than a 3.73 would give.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
The 3.42 axle ratio is the one that will give the best fuel economy.  However, it's probably the poorest choice for pulling a trailer.  It's going to multiply the engine torque - already pretty anemic on a V6 - LESS than a 3.73 or lower ration would.  In short, less pulling power than a 3.73 would give.

Understood, and fortunately, I wasn't looking forward to the 14'...mainly just checking options.  Glad ArtW got me up to find out what it actually is...I was assuming also that it was the 3.73.

Van payload capacity is: 1507-1667 depending on source
Towing capacity is: 5000-5300 depending on source
Max towing seems to be 5800

I really don't see going over 3,500 = trailer +  trailer payload. Really don't even think things will get quite that high. I realize weight adds up fast, but 2,300lbs seems on the high end for me.

johnny b said:
Check GVWR of trailer...most 6x12 are 2990#.
Compare to a 7x12 single axle....most are 3500#.

I'd go for the extra width and capacity even if you don't load it to max.

A previous thread:
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-cargo-trailer--20326?pid=270792#pid270792

Good point, but 1 of the main reasons that I will probably go for a new trailer ordered by me is: options.

I want the straight (no drop) 5200lbs leaf spring axle with brakes. If I can't get the 5200, then I'll have to settle for the 3500. I'd also like to do OC 16" floor, walls and ceiling. Barn doors. 15" rims. Etc. I have preferences that I am really interested in, but may be willing to settle...somewhat...if the right trailer appears.

In the thread that you linked to, you mentioned the 1 piece roof...that's something that I am interested in, but may be willing to settle without...

The main reason for pursuing the 6' is because the tow vehicle will be an Astro. So, with rear visibility and wind drag...I think I would be much happier towing a 6'. Yes, I would much rather have a 7', but I just don't think it's a wise choice in my situation. I'm already wondering about the width and height of a 6x12x 6'-6.5".

Optimistic Paranoid said:
This particular trailer company lists all their dimensions and weights . . .

https://homesteadertrailer.com/challenger-enclosed-cargo-trailers/

They are steel.  Aluminum would weigh less, but cost a lot more, of course.

Yeah, I've pretty much tossed out the idea of aluminum simply because of the added cost...availability doesn't seem great either.

"I'm already wondering about the width and height of a 6x12x 6'-6.5"."

What I was getting at was about the wind drag and it's effects on handling and mpg being towed by an Astro. It'll definitely be new to me, but I really think that I will want and need an "indoor" space where I can stand up, cook, etc. I'm over 6'.

"In the thread that you linked to, you mentioned the 1 piece roof...that's something that I am interested in, but may be willing to settle without..."

Here's a picture i borrowed from a different thread...I cropped it to just the 'roof seam'.

Roof Seam.jpg

Attachments

• Roof Seam.jpg
    Roof Seam.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 15
6x14 may only be 100 lbs extra dry weight, but how much more would you load in it than a 6x12? If you're looking for open floor space, then probably not much. If you want to use that extra 2' to cram in more amenities, then it might add up to a lot.

I had a 6x12 conversion. The most that would have fit comfortably is a queen bed and a galley. If you want shower/potty, then 6x14 for sure.

Maybe you have already, but you should check out the Cargo Conversion section of TNTTT and see what folks have done with different size trailers: http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42

KMAG YOYO said:
6x14 may only be 100 lbs extra dry weight, but how much more would you load in it than a 6x12? If you're looking for open floor space, then probably not much. If you want to use that extra 2' to cram in more amenities, then it might add up to a lot.

I had a 6x12 conversion. The most that would have fit comfortably is a queen bed and a galley. If you want shower/potty, then 6x14 for sure.

Maybe you have already, but you should check out the Cargo Conversion section of TNTTT and see what folks have done with different size trailers: http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42

I'm actually pretty settled on a 6x12. If I do anything different it would likely be to go with a 6x10. I'm much more concerned with the towing, transmission, mountains, off-road, boondocking, etc. I can definitely live well enough between either the van + 6x12 or van + 6x10. Wondering how much I will regret the headache/hassles of the CT, but I know I won't be happy in the astro by itself...just way too small.

------------------------------------

A CT related question that I've had is: Yes, I understand the benefit of the triple-tube tongue, but most of them come with some type of extension...like " 60” Triple Tube Tongue". Is there any benefit or loss to the 60" extension? I'm thinking more about impact on towing, but any reason to desire or avoid it with an astro?

why not a 6x12 with tandem axles? If not, the single axle is worth the money. Plus, I like the fact you can have it with ramp, or double doors with no extra charge. don't know how close to Ga. you are, but, it may be worth a look. As I've said before, I've had 3 different ones from these people and have never had an issue with them. 

http://www.usacargotrailersales.com/virtuemart/6-wide.html

For what it's worth, I'm very happy with my 6x12 v nose as far as size. And I have it set up for 2 people and haul a 650 motorcycle inside. The bike of course goes outside when we set up camp, but we can sleep in there with bike when just stopping for the night on the road. Down the road I will probably convert it to tandem axle as it currently maxed out when fully loaded for a couple weeks. It would be easier to just change the axle to a heavier load rating one, but tandems do tow more stabile. And I can and have done this work myself in the past so it won't really cost anymore as I'll use the existing axle for one of them. I also have a 7x14 trailer that is a mobile tool shed for work. While it's not tremendously bigger in either direction, especially since it's wheels are set in with interior wheel wells, it definitely feels like a much bigger trailer when towing.

I shopped around for six months before settling on my 7x12 v-nose with 4" drop Dexter axle w/electric drum brakes and rear drop door. I purchased new for $4,000 with radial tires. The one foot difference in width was important to me. I drive a 1997 Crown Victoria and my mirrors are just wide enough to see past the trailer (planning to add better mirrors soon). A v-nose sounds like it will help you on your mileage as it will be closer to your van and maybe a bit taller. As for the transmission, have you modified the van or is it stock? I personally would not trust a stock transmission from that type of vehicle. Also, have you added and spring helpers (either air bags or spring adders)? On my CV I added airbag spring helpers from air ride and also put heavier shocks on and changed my rear tires from passenger to light truck (for the amount of weight that they can hold and for better traction for off-road).

You should also look at you rotor size as bigger is better and will last longer. It is something I'm planning on my CV to go from 12.?" To 16.?" Rotors and increasing my rims from 15" to 16" to accommodate the rotors.