Caravan Stow and Go seat removal??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparrow

Reaction score
Howdy! I'm just getting started here at the CRVL forums so I hope I'm posting this question in the right area : ) 

I have a 2006 Doge Caravan with Stow and Go seating. Before I begin the process of turning this into a camper van I would like to remove the back seat as well as one of the middle seats. Is this advisable? 

The advantage to taking the seats out is the additional storage it would provide, as well as to lighten my load. I've scoured Youtube but came up empty...If there is anyone out here who knows anything about how to do this and could share that would be really helpful!! Thank you 

How do you do it? With wrenches and maybe screwdrivers. Look closely at the seats, see what's holding them in place, then unbolt it. On the assembly line those seats were installed in something like five seconds, so it's not like the van was built around them.

Is it advisable? I say it's going to be YOUR home. Do what you want with it. Don't worry about some future buyer who doesn't exist yet.

If they're in good shape likely worth selling. Don't pay to store them.

Go to a shop that does auto upholstery they can show you how.  The exhaust system runs very close to those bins on the right side I believe so be mindful if there is heat effecting whatever you put in there.

MrNoodly said:
How do you do it? With wrenches and maybe screwdrivers. Look closely at the seats, see what's holding them in place, then unbolt it. On the assembly line those seats were installed in something like five seconds, so it's not like the van was built around them.

Is it advisable? I say it's going to be YOUR home. Do what you want with it. Don't worry about some future buyer who doesn't exist yet.

These are stow and go which are much more difficult to remove  then the track seating otherwise I would have already removed them. There are warnings of people being seriously injured trying to take them out so it's not a simple task and requires a specific tool. That's why I posted the question on the forum to see if anyone had experience removing them to save myself an injury....

It has nothing to do with a future buyer but the level of difficulty / safety. It was just pointed out to me that the space left in the floor IS close to the exhaust, so what you store in there is certianly something to be mindful of...unless you don't mind things melting or an occasional fire...LOL

I'm not a mechanic and I'm not afraid of using tools, just would prefer not to loose a finger or two...LOL

Per my question....but Thanks!!

John61CT said:
If they're in good shape likely worth selling. Don't pay to store them.

Good point. Thanks John!

closeanuf said:
Go to a shop that does auto upholstery they can show you how.  The exhaust system runs very close to those bins on the right side I believe so be mindful if there is heat effecting whatever you put in there.

Oh that's a good idea too and would save me a headache. The seats are heavy and complicated and I can't do it wiithout help...warnings on the internet people getting injured have made me even more leary....

Also thanks for pointing out about the exhaust system / heat that helps me to plan better how to use the storage space. Thanks for posting!

CautionToTheWind said:
Here is a stow n go option build:

I hadn;t seen this vid and i've looked at a shitload..LOL....

Another great resource...Muchas Gracias!!

CautionToTheWind said:
Check this out: https://turo.com/rentals/minivans/ca/oakland/dodge-grand-caravan/110726

Use the arrow button on the top for additional interior pictures (arrowing from the large photo(s) top of the webpage).

This set-up seems fairly flexible as you can use the rear seats if the bed is folded forward.

Another good link...I especially like the pics 16 & 17 - which is how I want to set up the back with access from the inside and outside. I still want the stow & go back seat out - as it will provide a huge area for dry storage. Just have to figure out how I would design it so that I still have access with the shelving standing above it....

Thanks for posting much appreciated!

They're straightforward to remove.

Each front has three 15mm (wrench size) nuts, I removed the entire trim per online instructions, I'm not sure that was necessary. There's a cover between the seats that snaps into the trim and seat you need to take off. One 2nd row seat is 71#. Be careful of the open back, I could see fingers getting pinched.

Rears have four 15mm (wrench size) bolts each, and a flash you definitely need to remove- simple, though; two Phillips and three10mm plastic nuts (maybe 11mm, don't recall). This salt belt vehicle's bolts were about 3/4" longer than necessary, and fought rust all the way out.
There was a bit of spring if removed while down.

There's zero cause to alarm that the vehicle has an exhaust; utterly absurd scaremongering.

Underfloor storage is remarkable! If you haven't seen one of these vehicles I'll guarantee you'd be impressed. Fronts retain factory cover doors; there's no indication you have a ton of stuff under there within a moment's access. Really neat feature for us.

UptownSport said:

Underfloor storage is remarkable! 

Hey UptownSport - thanks for this response. I still haven't attempted this and your detailed information is the most helpful and makes me alot less apprehensive about doing it myself. Very much appreciated and I'll keep you posted as I hope to do this in October. And yes the storage you gain really is remarkable!! 

Muchas Gracias!!

UptownSport said:

Each front has three 15mm (wrench size) nuts, I removed the entire trim per online instructions, I'm not sure that was necessary. There's a cover between the seats that snaps into the trim and seat you need to take off. One 2nd row seat is 71#. Be careful of the open back, I could see fingers getting pinched.

Rears have four 15mm (wrench size) bolts each, and a flash you definitely need to remove- simple, though; two Phillips and three10mm plastic nuts (maybe 11mm, don't recall). This salt belt vehicle's bolts were about 3/4" longer than necessary, and fought rust all the way out.
There was a bit of spring if removed while down.

There's zero cause to alarm that the vehicle has an exhaust; utterly absurd scaremongering.

Underfloor storage is remarkable! If you haven't seen one of these vehicles I'll guarantee you'd be impressed. Fronts retain factory cover doors; there's no indication you have a ton of stuff under there within a moment's access. Really neat feature for us.

I have the stow and go seats and am aware of the awesome storage potential. The problem then is what do you do with the seats?? If you are on the road do you just take them to the dump or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maggie Flinn said:
I have the stow and go seats and am aware of the awesome storage potential. The problem then is what do you do with the seats?? If you are on the road do you just take them to the dump or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have friends or family that can store them at then it is best. We just got rid of our van today and without the seats we would have gotten way less money for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk