Carado Axion Class B

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverendMother

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the Carado Axion?  I'm considering purchasing one.  Things to consider?

Thanks!

Nice! I checked out the Axion, but I prefer the Hymer Aktiv layout for our pack of 2 adults and 2 dogs.

“WeretheRussos” have a YouTube channel with a couple of walk-thrus/reviews of he Acktive, if you are interested. They live in theirs full-time.

SondraRose said:
Nice!  I checked out the Axion, but I prefer the Hymer Aktiv layout for our pack of 2 adults and 2 dogs.

“WeretheRussos” have a YouTube channel with a couple of walk-thrus/reviews of he Acktive, if you are interested.  They live in theirs full-time.

Hi SondraRose! Nice to chat with you again! I'll take a look! Thanks!

The Axion (and similarly-priced models) seem to have some quality shortfalls...They look really nice on the surface, but check manufacturing shortcuts. There is a reason these are 20-30K lower in price than other models.

Honestly, we looked at them and have decided to do our own build. The van itself can be had new for just over 30K. To pay 60-70K for that build seems really out of whack (to me!).

Do not buy this van!  I bought one new a year ago; took it on its 2nd camping trip a few weeks ago and the macerator pump went out; just shorted out at the fuse box, even after fuse replacement.  Called Roadtrek support and the only way to dump the tank if the pump goes out is to crawl under the van with a wrench and remove the nut at the low point drain, which is very inconveniently positioned before the pull-out valve handle.  That's not a backup system!  That's a nightmare.  And it's summer time, so the dealership can't get me in for another 2 weeks.  Honestly, would it have cost Roadtrek a ton more money to just have added a backup gravity dump system to the plumbing for when the macerator goes out?  There are other less irritating things wrong with the van, too, like the drawers didn't come with a way to secure them shut, so they all fall open as soon as you drive down the road -- we added child-proof straps to keep them shut -- I mean, that's a small deal, but still....also, the user control panel is somehow warped so that in order to push the buttons to get the tank levels I have to use a pen -- the dealership tried to glue it back on but that popped right back out as soon as we hit the road -- again this is a small deal compared to the macerator -- but it goes to the overall cheap quality of these lower-priced vans.  As soon as I get it back from repairs I will sell it at quite a loss I am sure.

2017 Hymer Axion - I have had mine for two years now and love it! It is the best layout packed into a van you can use as a everyday driver. Best for a single person and pet, two can become a bit crowded.

Only issue was with the black water macerator pump. If you find the pump just quits working first check the 20amp fuse in the #9 (not marked) position of fuse box. I kept blowing fuses to finally trace it down to a problem in the red button switch. Hymer put this switch in the driver door opening and it was being pushed up against the body's frame and shorting out. Its and easy fix once you find the problem.

The cabinet doors do slide open when driving if you put any kind of weight in them so adding door clips fixed it.

The Etrek is awesome - no need for heavy generator when you have all this battery power. No noise, no maintenance, and offgrid camping at its best.

Latest posts