car wash water

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

templedog

Reaction score
does anyone know if I can drink car wash water? To fill up my water tanks?

Make sure you keep a $5 "water thief" with you if you need a hose to fill your tanks. Especially in California. We found most places there had non-threaded faucets at rest areas etc to keep RV's from filling the tanks easily. The water thief slides over that and you tighten the clamp, it then provides a threaded end to attach your potable water hose to. Most RV dealers sell them.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Careful where you get your water! I would never get it from anywhere near the dump sites or any car wash. We have stopped in at RV parks we weren't staying at to use the dump tanks, usually costs between $5-10 and they have always pointed us to a potable water source there and let us fill for free. Often they have small laundry rooms and showers(we don't need) as well.</div>

templedog said:
does anyone know if I can drink car wash water? To fill up my water tanks?
<br><br>Man I hope you are kidding, the water you speak of has washed many cars and is recycled... I would not even think of doing this for the revenge you will experience will leave you exhausted on the toilet if not in the hospital... Always be safe and buy filtered water or get water from a fresh well or spring... To fill your tanks do an inquiry around locally for a RV park for water...<br>

From a purely academic standpoint, can you recycle your gray water tanks?

Billions of people in the world survive on water that would not pass any standard of potability. For hardcore boondockers in the Southwest it might be an interesting idea.

If you think about it most of us are drinking recycled black water.

I figure two stage filtering followed by boiling or bleaching? Ideas, suggestions, barfing sounds?

Understanding your coming from a academic stand point, I am sure anything is possible in the field for the right price... Me coming from the practical stand point, filtered water would have to reach over $5.00 a gallon before I would even consider the PITA effort of buying, using and maintaining filtering system...<br><br>
CplDevilDog said:
From a purely academic standpoint, can you recycle your gray water tanks?<br><br>Billions of people in the world survive on water that would not pass any standard of potability. For hardcore boondockers in the Southwest it might be an interesting idea.<br><br>If you think about it most of us are drinking recycled black water. <br><br>I figure two stage filtering followed by boiling or bleaching? Ideas, suggestions, barfing sounds?

That's one element you can't destroy. It's all recycled by mother nature.<br /><br />One good place in Arkansas that I like, if you got containers, you can get all the mineral water you want. That's down town Hot Springs and the water is hot. After it cools. it's the best tasting you'll ever drink.