Car thermostat....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RowanFae

Reaction score

About 10:53 into the video, this guy shows where he added a thermostat and switch so that when his car reached a certain temp it started the vehicle and ran the a/c or heat. 

I was wondering if this was a good idea for when I have to leave my dog in the car to go grocery shopping. My main concern (other than having my car window broken and my car stolen is my dog jumping on my gear shifter and taking the car out of park.

I don't think the dog can knock the shifter out of park. I do think I would also set the parking brake. I have no opinion on wisdom of the self start idea. Seems too complicated.

On some cars you have to step on the brake at the same time as taking it out of park. See if yours is this way. The vehicle doesn't need to be running just have the key on. try taking it out of park without pressing on the brake.

In my pickup I carry a chain and lock. There is a hand grab that I chain the steering to. I guess I could also lock up the shifter with this as well. I keep a key in the truck that does not have a computer chip in it. To start the truck I need to hold a key with a chip next to the one that doesn't have it. Once started I can put the chip key in my pocket. If the truck is stolen somehow, they will not be able to start it a second time.

Interesting.

If you had a car or van with remote start (or you have added that feature with an aftermarket kit) it should be fairly easy to interface the thermostat to the spare wireless keyfob unit. (just wire the thermostat across the button on the circuit board) 

Some newer cars with factory remote start automatically adjust the HVAC to cool or heat as needed. The ones I'm familiar with will only idle the engine for a certain amount of time, maybe 15 minutes or so.

tx2sturgis said:
Interesting.

If you had a car or van with remote start (or you have added that feature with an aftermarket kit) it should be fairly easy to interface the thermostat to the spare wireless keyfob unit. (just wire the thermostat across the button on the circuit board) 

Some newer cars with factory remote start automatically adjust the HVAC to cool or heat as needed. The ones I'm familiar with will only idle the engine for a certain amount of time, maybe 15 minutes or so.

Hmm, the remote starter sounds interesting, that wouldn't require leaving the key in the car (something that concerned me.)

Weight said:
I don't think the dog can knock the shifter out of park. I do think I would also set the parking brake. I have no opinion on wisdom of the self start idea. Seems too complicated.

You haven't met my dog.  He is an accomplished escape artist, as well as adept at breaking into things.  He even taught himself how to unscrew peanut butter jars and pop bottles.  I've learned to never underestimate his penchant for mischief and costing me money.

DannyB1954 said:
On some cars you have to step on the brake at the same time as taking it out of park. See if yours is this way. The vehicle doesn't need to be running just have the key on. try taking it out of park without pressing on the brake.

In my pickup I carry a chain and lock. There is a hand grab that I chain the steering to. I guess I could also lock up the shifter with this as well. I keep a key in the truck that does not have a computer chip in it. To start the truck I need to hold a key with a chip next to the one that doesn't have it. Once started I can put the chip key in my pocket. If the truck is stolen somehow, they will not be able to start it a second time.

I've had a car, that I had to press the break to shift out of park but I haven't noticed if my current vehicle is the same.  Probably not, I'd have noticed.  Maybe.  Definitely need to look into that.  

The spare key, without a chip is something I didn't know!

Yes...the actual interface would be a bit more complicated than my simple explanation, there would probably need to be a momentary contact closure, not a continuous contact closure. 

And of course, the spare wireless fob could be hidden in a box or behind a panel to conceal it from prying eyes. 

All of this could be worked thru.

Now just FYI. Most non-hybrid car engines are generally not designed to be idled for any prolonged periods of time. And under certain conditions, exhaust might find its way back into the passenger cabin. Not good.

tx2sturgis said:
Yes...the actual interface would be a bit more complicated than my simple explanation, there would probably need to be a momentary contact closure, not a continuous contact closure. 

And of course, the spare wireless fob could be hidden in a box or behind a panel to conceal it from prying eyes. 

All of this could be worked thru.

Now just FYI. Most non-hybrid car engines are generally not designed to be idled for any prolonged periods of time.

I was hoping/thinking that if the thermostat was set high/low enough to keep the vehicle from getting too cold or too hot, it wouldn't have to run very long.  

At this point, it is all hypothetical.  One of my HUGE concerns is what to do about my dog when I go places he can't come.  Logistical concerns, for when it is just me and Axel on the road.

RowanFae said:
At this point, it is all hypothetical.  One of my HUGE concerns is what to do about my dog when I go places he can't come.  Logistical concerns, for when it is just me and Axel on the road.

Yep. I have a little dog....I know there are situations that come up with having a dog in a vehicle. 

I am looking at using a window fan similar to the police and border patrol K9 units. I will let you know how it works out.

tx2sturgis said:
Yep. I have a little dog....I know there are situations that come up with having a dog in a vehicle. 

I am looking at using a window fan similar to the police and border patrol K9 units. I will let you know how it works out.

That would be great, thanks! :)

I checked, my car won't go into drive without pressing the brake. So my concerns about my dog knocking the car out of park is unfounded. That is encouraging.

RowanFae said:
I checked, my car won't go into drive without pressing the brake.  So my concerns about my dog knocking the car out of park is unfounded. That is encouraging.
I recently read an article that said some places now have a law against leaving a key in the ignition. Don't blame the thief of course, blame the victim.

Possible way to ease your mind about dog reaching gear shift: a short lead/leash secured in back seat or other rear area (if you have an open van rather than a back seat) and hooked to harness of dog. These are called safety leads, I use them on my puppers whenever they are in the car.  Best not to hook to collar, can be dangerous.  The length of lead is adjustable, so you control where your dog can get to or not.  :)

DannyB1954 said:
I recently read an article that said  some places now have a law against leaving a key in the ignition. Don't blame the thief of course, blame the victim.

I seem to recall seeing/reading a report on that as well (sighs).  Hopefully the remote starter thing will work.  That, and saving up for beaucoup solar and a portable a/c.

At this point I'm going to discuss with my doctor having him prescribe my dog as an emotional support dog, and get him a service dog vest.  Technically, stores and restaurants aren't required to allow emotional support dogs in.  I don't think Walmart will question it, and I will make sure my dog is well behaved.  

Maybe after being on the road a while, I'll find my tribe and this won't be such a pressing worry for me.

DannyB1954 said:
I recently read an article that said  some places now have a law against leaving a key in the ignition. Don't blame the thief of course, blame the victim.

That's interesting.

I wonder where and when that would be in effect? And enforced against whom?

Reason it caught my attention is because in the trucking world, probably about 95% of us leave a key in the ignition at ALL times. OSHA regs apply when the vehicle is in a service bay with a mechanic working on or under it, but otherwise keys are routinely left in the slot. 

Many Harley Davidson motorcycles have an ignition 'switch'...the key is only used to 'lock' that switch. The key is not in the switch when riding.  If the switch is not manually locked by the rider as he parks the bike, it can be turned ON with no key needed. 

Another law passed by local politicians who usually don't know squat about real life.

tx2sturgis said:
That's interesting.

I wonder where and when that would be in effect? And enforced against whom?

Another law passed by local politicians who usually don't know squat about real life.

It was an article about a guy that left his key in the car while he ran into a convenience store. They came out and were getting a ticket from a Officer in California, (Fresno I believe, but don't quote me), There was an argument about the ticket so things escalated and I believe the guy was arrested, (that is probably how it became news worthy).
Car does not even need to be running. If the key is in the ignition and you are not there it is a violation of law. I imagine the intent of the law is to reduce auto thefts.
In California you also can not let a truck idle for more than 15 minutes. At least some of the newer trucks will shut down the engine automatically at that time. To stay warm or cool, you have to have an APU , (small generator).

Absolutely loved it!!! I'm going to wire my van up and also include a low voltage start up for the house batteries! I can't believe I missed this in my design! And sadly to say I do HVAC, uuhhggg! But better late than never right! Thanks for linking this video it really is going to be nice to just set the thermostat and not have to get up, start the van, watch the volt meter or thermometer and get back up to shut it off.
Only difference is I will put the isolator switch inside next to the thermostat so I can be "Way too lazy" [emoji23] I'm stoked about it!.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Latest posts