car inspection question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarledwolf

Reaction score
Hello again.
     I'm from NY and living on blm in Arizona with no plans to go back to NY.  My inspection on my car is up this month and I'm wondering what the inspection laws are in Arizona? I'm not planning to settle in Arizona, just for winter.   I can't seem to get a clear answer online.
Matt

If it were me...I wouldn't do a thing about it until I got back to N.Y.

...and seeing that you're not planning on returning, I'd wait until you register it in your new state, and then you'll hafta comply with whatever laws they have there.

We don't do inspections here on the coast. Not everyone requires it.

Other states may, or may not, give you a ticket for having an expired vehicle inspection.  It depends on what their laws are.  Take a look at:

http://dmv.ny.gov/inspection/inspection-requirements

Scroll about half way down the page and you'll find the part about being out of state.  The extension you request by mail may, or may not, keep you from getting a ticket in another state.  No guarantees.

Since you're not planning to come back to NY, I'd get going on getting established in a new domicile state.

Regards
John

My inspection mechanic told me once , if the sticker is expired scrape it off , no sticker is a cheaper ticket than an expired one......but that's here in Maine. Elsewhere YMMV.
Out of state , they probably don't know if you need one or not , scrape it off! If you do go back to NY get a new one , if not , as has been said , go with whatever your new registration state requires... (I think places that don't require inspections/smog checks are the BEST! Some states only require one in certain counties.)

In many sates inspections are required by the county and not the state, that's why it's hard to gather the information.

In Arizona I think the only counties requiring it are Phoenix metro and Tuscon. The only other cities big enough to think about it would be Yuma, Flagstaff and Prescott and I'm pretty sure they don't.

I'm not certain of anything except my van is registered in La Paz county which is Quartzsite and Parker and they do do NOT have any inspections.
Bob

I just heard recently, here in Pa. it is illegal to scrape off a inspection sticker expired or not. Not positive but sounds logical for Pa. They are sticklers on state inspections.
Bob

Well then you're going to love this.....
Last winter I had so much condensation/ice forming on the inside of my windshield every night, my sticker dissolved !

rvpopeye
That story just brought back a distant memory. My best bud had borrowed his dad"s new 56 Oldsmobile for a hot date. During the date the windows got steamed up and somehow, don"t ask, he removed the sticker with his foot. I don't remember how he explained it to his dad.
Bob

Too funny, sounds like he had a lucky night !

Most states have a "must register in our state after 60 days" or some such law (unless your active military). So if pulled over, the sticker could start a conversation that ends up in some sort of ticket - for expired sticker, or not registering, or whatever. Each state and county wants their tax money - no exceptions!

If your not going back, I would re-domocile yourself to a more travel friendly, lower tax state ASAP. There are a number of articles and posts on doing such on this forum. I believe Bob wrote several posts on it - but that may have been his e-book.