Car, Car.... Truck?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
I just went to a third party website and the towing capacity for the fit is ZERO.   but this was a third party go to Honda.  what year is the Fit?  highdesertranger

It's a 2012 5-spd Automatic. We also have a 2013 Manual transmission. Trust me, towing something with one of these cars is not my favorite idea, but if we end up doing it, we're definitely not going to point fingers at anyone here. I can't imagine Honda condoning towing anything with this car, but clearly if we DO end up trying it, towing the lightest load possible is the best plan. I'm all for getting another vehicle for towing purposes. 

I would post the specs, but I'm not allowed to post links yet :p

I've often wondered why people bother to ask for advice if they don't wanna take it anyway....?

Again, 800# total weight, max 1000# dry. That alone is a big DIY challenge eliminates 95% of the wannabees right there.

Also do not load up the TV, no fatty passengers and think packing a backpack for through hiking, ounces count.

Towball weight less than 10%, so wheels closer to the center. Brakes and anti-sway hitch recommended.

Or compensate by going slower, not full "Murica!" highway speeds.

Transmission temp gauge and extra cooler fitted.

When travelling through hilly terrain watch the temp and pull over to cool down as needed.

Most normal Americans will just throw up their hands "just get a big heavy rig!"

But tons of people tow a little foamie teardrop with a Smartcar or motorcycle, some even with a bicycle. That's the sort of personality we're dealing with here.

Oh, and don't expect insurance to pay if things go belly up. That's a deal-breaker for many right there.

lenny flank said:
I've often wondered why people bother to ask for advice if they don't wanna take it anyway....?

That's kind of an unfair statement, considering the fact that I've been paying attention to all of the advice offered here.

John61CT said:
tons of people tow a little foamie teardrop with a Smartcar or motorcycle, some even with a bicycle. That's the sort of personality we're dealing with here

My BF is the one convinced that towing with the Fit is workable. This is all good info for him, if he insists on it. He wants us to chug along at 45mph in 3rd gear. I mean, it's his car, if he wants to risk it. Might be feasible  with a super light 'foamie' for short distances, but not my choice.

Guess how many 2 wheel motorcycles sold in the USA are rated for towing trailers?

Hint: the number is ZERO.

But we do it all the time.

Again, I would not use a Honda Fit..it's simply "un-fit" for towing...in my opinion...but that's what people say about towing trailers with motorcycles. And I did exactly that for 20 years and thousands of miles. 

But, if I was dead-set on towing a little trailer with that little car, I would keep it under 1000 pounds, total load, passengers, gear, trailer, cargo, etc, and do it with the manual. 

Can you even buy a trailer hitch for a Fit?  I dunno.

:huh:

tx2sturgis said:
Can you even buy a trailer hitch for a Fit?  I dunno.

No way is there a trailer hitch for a Fit, but a person can have a hitch installed, if they are determined to do so, or install it oneself.

And their CS is great, post specific Qs there.

But of course they'll be very CYA conservative because liability.

CC for some reason the link you posted will not load on my computer. anybody else having this problem? highdesertranger

Specs loaded for me but I saw nothing about towing just number of passengers. Beware of hitches that use large areas of the unibody such as the spare tire well to mount the hitch, I have had them flex the pannels enough to crack out the section. Mounting to 14 guage metal especially when it tends to be low enough to bottom out as some of the rewiewers stated would tend to concern me with my past experiences.

highdesertranger said:
CC for some reason the link you posted will not load on my computer.  anybody else having this problem?  highdesertranger

Hmm odd. I just checked the link and it works for me. Sorry. :/

Backing plate(s) and fender washers.

Remember, very little weight in the rear is critical, loading up the TV carrying capacity or allowing more than say 100# towball weight will negate any chance of safety or TV longevity.

I've travelled in a Sienna towing 4000# OK, 250 towball, yes hitch is too low with the later stow&go wells, but long as only two passengers and light stuff in the back trannie temps were fine even in the mountains.

Soon as more passengers and luggage joined us, had problems even on the flats.

Pushing limits requires constant highly tuned mindfulness.

Most USians just wanna get what they want without having to micromanage within limits, and that's what the regs & insurance specs have to accommodate.

Towing a trailer is more than getting it up a hill. Once on top of that hill you go down, add windows and that little Honda Fit had to brake all the way down, keep it steady on a windy freeway or crazy switchback road. And it's 101*out and you have disaster.
That's why you talk to Honda, go to the dealership and ask. Like Highdeseryramger said start at Honda.
Mho is you need something bigger that already has a "Tow Package" and not just a hitch. Then follow the weight rateing for that vehicle including the trailer and all the people and food and items you will bring in that trailer. You cannot overload the trailer or car for safety reasons.
Good luck and be safe!

Well we are starting with a vehicle that Honda's answer is "nothing can be towed".

This is America, where these ratings are not in fact enforced, as in the rest of the developed world. Except by insurance companies, where those not judgment-proof nor wealthy are under threat of being wiped out by liability in the event of a catastrophe.

Freedom!

So some advise "stay within the mfg rating", and of course that is safer for those as thoughtless as the average American

While campers in other countries are happily toodling around with trailers with the **exact same vehicle**.

Just required to stay under 60kph, special anti-sway hitch is the only style available, and very little towbar weight from the trailer's different COG design.

Those same parameters (and other details above) can be used here to remain safe.

Except for the edge-case risk of catastrophe.

Which we all engage in every day, ignorant or well-informed, USian auto death rates are still very high compared to the better-regulated nations.

The OP is an adult and can make adult decisions. 

Just like we do hauling trailers with motorcycles, which is quite risky. But we do it anyway.

Yes, we know the Honda Fit is not really a good 'fit' for hauling a trailer. But it might pull a small motorcycle pop-up or teardrop trailer just fine. Especially with a good dose of common sense and due dilligence, which the OP seems to have.

https://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/minimatecamper

https://theusatrailerstore.com/solace-motorcycle-camping-trailer/

https://www.roadmancampers.com/

Hell, people pull these trailers with SmartCars, for chrissakes.

I would not choose one for pulling a trailer either, but that is what she has, and occasional use for weekend camping trips...well...you're only young once.

Besides, later on, after some experience, the car and trailer can be replaced with something more suitable.

I dont see the combination as being the ticket for full-timing, but you know, people are full-timing in Priuses, which would not suit me at all.

Here is my old HD pulling one of my trailers, it was sure a lot of fun back in the day.

scooterwindfarm2.jpg

Attachments

• scooterwindfarm2.jpg
    scooterwindfarm2.jpg
    63.4 KB

Latest posts