Car, Car.... Truck?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Computerchick

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post about our search for the ideal solution, so here I go.

We currently have 2 very small cars (Honda Fit). We are exploring the idea of buying a trailer/camper type thing for short trips now, and possible extended use in future years, possibly even full time after retirement. 

My partner believes that we can get something small/light enough for a Honda Fit to haul around. I feel that it's possible for us to make that work, with something VERY minimal, but I worry we would burn up the transmission with the frequent elevation changes we have in this area. I also feel that to make the car-tow option work, the trailer would have to be SO minimal, we may as well use a tent. Am I wrong?

Some options we are considering: He has talked about just getting a lightweight aluminum flat trailer, and building something lightweight on it.

I have suggested the weeride trailers.

I'm partial to the idea of buying a cheap SUV/Jeep type vehicle for hauling, and buying a light trailer/camper. I'm partial to the idea of pop-up campers, but also realize they have lots of issues, and aren't the best for a long term investment.

As a side note, I have an 11yr ops son, so ideally, we need 2 beds, although setting up a tent for him isn't out of the question.

We are all experienced tent campers, but of course we're looking at something to make this travel stuff and camping less of a hassle.

highdesertranger said:
what does Honda say about towing?  start there.  highdesertranger

Well, there are mixed messages. I'm pretty sure Honda doesn't recommend towing anything much with the Honda Fit. However, my partner has read some of the Fit forums and there is a person who talked about towing a 1k lb trailer, cross country with one, using a transmission cooler and driving in 3rd gear. Sounds pretty risky to me.

My thought is, we would be better off buying a cheap SUV type vehicle, something that's easy to fix and wouldn't cost a fortune, even if we had to replace it completely. We both like the freedom of having a separate vehicle for towing, so even if a vehicle breaks down, we would be looking at (worst case) replacing the vehicle rather than our Road Home.

That being said, I'm looking for suggestions of a good choice for that towing vehicle, something we could purchase for a couple of thousand dollars, or less and relatively gas efficient. I have no doubt this is a very common thread in this forum ;)

It seems we always want more. Full time living in a tent we would have a hard time fitting all the camping gear in a Honda Fit and couldn't with a third person. Unless you take both cars, I would think you would have to be weekend back pack campers. My wife and I used a single cab Tacoma 4x4 4 cylinder with a 4'x6' utility trailer to tent camp for 3 months of 14 day stays and it worked well for us. We later built an enclosed trailer 6'x11' which we needed a larger truck to pull. We missed the off road trails we used to do in the Toyota. Now we are building a 24' toy hauler with a Samurai 4x4 and camper pulled by either a Surburban or our old Jeep truck with its camper when the kids come. Tnttt can show you how to build something light but I would think the Honda Fit would already be a capacity with just the camping gear and 3 people. Bad weather is something you will have to deal with if camping for extended periods and even a small enclosed teardrop is much better than a tent to sleep in and securing your camping gear when traveling, maybe it is time to consider a V6 truck or SUV as your second vehicle?

bullfrog said:
maybe it is time to consider a V6 truck or SUV as your second vehicle?

That's my thought process. Lots of good info in your post. Thanks. :) I think something like a Suburban, or smaller SUV would be great, along with a smallish camper. We're debating what we really want/need as far as amenities.

I had a friend who bought a (1st generation) Honda Fit many years ago...it's a seriously under-powered little car, or at least, his was. 

You might be able to tow a little teardrop trailer or a motorcycle size pop-up tent trailer.

I'm thinking 500-1000 pounds MAX. 

But I would not do it, I'd find another way to tow a trailer.

highdesertranger said:
go directly to Honda,  not someone says that they did it.  highdesertranger

I agree. I can't imagine our little car hauling 1k lbs extra up a 7% grade for several miles, even in 3rd gear. Too risky in my opinion.

Get a half ton PU or van. I wouldn’t want a smaller SUV for towing.

Having had both 6-cylinder and 4-cylinder SUVs, I'd say don't even think about towing anything with a 4-cylinder vehicle, unless it's extremely lightweight. When being footloose, you'll be in the mountains a lot, and will hate the low torque available with just 4-cylinders.

Cammalu said:
Get a half ton PU or van. I wouldn’t want a smaller SUV for towing.

A 6 cylinder should be ok though, shouldn't it? From my estimation, we're looking at towing something under 2k lbs.

A 800-1000# wet DIY foamie teardrop would be OK ideally on an aluminum platform.

But used frequently even that will wear out a little econobox, even if you add trannie guage and cooler.

For super lightweight a Suburban is overkill, but then you have more flexibility.

Using official mfg tow ratings against dry weight is a good middle ground, as long as you're careful about batteries / propane / water tanks.

And remember loading the TV rear up means less capacity for the trailer.

Thank you. I'm thinking something like a Jeep Liberty v6 automatic transmission would be ideal for us, BF is balking at it though, so we'll see. He is considering a 5x8 aluminum flatbed trailer that weighs under 200lbs, with plans to build something lightweight on top of that. I guess if we had a somewhat heftier car that might be a good solution, but ultimately, he's the one with the money, so we'll see how things move forward. I'm going to keep pushing for the more flexible solution of a towing vehicle. :p

I hope you wake up from this nightmare soon before you spend (waste) any money on it.  Put about 20 cement blocks in the back of that thing, if they would even fit, and see how it handles the hills.

closeanuf said:
I hope you wake up from this nightmare soon before you spend (waste) any money on it.  Put about 20 cement blocks in the back of that thing, if they would even fit, and see how it handles the hills.

Gosh, I appreciate the concern... I hope you saw that we are considering several different options and I'm actually pushing for a separate towing vehicle for a small camper/trailer.

Send him to the Foamie sub at TNTTT.com

Europe they do this all the time, lower towball weights, but all hitches have sway control

John61CT said:
Send him to the Foamie sub at TNTTT.com

Europe they do this all the time,  lower towball weights,  but all hitches have sway control

I'll have to check that out - thank you :)

The 'foamie' idea is interesting - I don't see a way to register at the site, but I'll show him the info. I'm sure he will be interested. In the meantime, I'm savin' up for a v6 lol

for heavens sake. saying it's ok as long as the trailer is light weight is giving bad advice. no one has provided the factory specs. if this Honda has a CVT transmission you shouldn't tow a damn thing.

go to Honda and get the towing specs. bring them back here and we can have a real conversation about towing with this car. just assuming it's ok is reckless.

highdesertranger

I just went to a third party website and the towing capacity for the fit is ZERO. but this was a third party go to Honda. what year is the Fit? highdesertranger

Latest posts