Car camping tent suggestion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heyorrte

Reaction score
[font=proxima-nova, Verdana, sans-serif]Have a 1 person backpacking tent. Looking for a 2-3 person car camping setup. Spring summer and fall. [/font]
[font=proxima-nova, Verdana, sans-serif]Have proform on Big Agnes...Any good?[/font]
[font=proxima-nova, Verdana, sans-serif]What does the collective maggotry like?[/font]

I am very impressed with my Marmot Limelight 3. Well thought out design that is easy to set up. The vertical sides really maximize space.

Unless you're hiking and need to carry your gear I recommend getting a large dome tent. They are easy to set up and you can have enough room to stand up and move around. Also the bigger screen doors let in more air.

I am very tempted to search for the worst tent out there and then give it a glowing recommendation ;) That is what can happen when you tell people they are a bunch of maggots.

I second Ken on the Kodiak especially if you full time

I have the 2-person version of this and love it.
https://getcampingwild.com/2-person-tent/
Quick to set up for late-night arrivals, and takes up little space in the car. If I were getting a tent specific for car camping, I might go bigger like soups818 said, because why not if you don't have to carry it on your back?

I have not personally had a Big Agnes, but I have heard excellent things about the brand and NO complaints from several long distance hikers in all seasons! I personally have the REI quarter dome (sleeps two very skinny people who have no gear and love to elbow each other in the face - otherwise, for 1 it's perfect) - had that tent for 20 years, and use it at least 5-6 weeks in all weather, every year... sooo... for longevity, that is an A+. I think it's 4.5# or 5# with all the stakes and whatnot? We recently bought the half dome. Same excellent quality.

I suggest you just have some in person strategy meetings with the people you are going to caravan with. That way you can divide up who is bringing what equipment so that no one car gets overloaded. If you are going to do a group camp you can share the loads and the work.

If this is your first time researching and buying a tent, the sheer amount of options and statistics can be overwhelming! Because tents are the most popular backwood accommodation, there is a type of tent for every type of camping situation.

• First, check this list:
  • MSR Mutha Hubba NX 3
  • Marmot Limelight 3P
  • NEMO Galaxi
  • The North Face Stormbreak
  • NEMO Chogori
  • Eureka! K-2 XT
  • Marmot Tungsten UL

I have a Kodiak Spring-bar 9X8, with a Teton XXL cot and matress I got from Amazon. You can even spread the payments for 5 months. I am traveling in a Nissan Juke. Not much room in these, so I have to make a tent work. I figure if the weather gets too bad I can always hole up in the back of the Juke in a pinch. I have read you can stabilize the Spring-bar even more by running a guy line off the posts.

Mbinmo, is it a Springbar or a Kodiak flex-bow? Have you had it up in any big (AZ-type) winds yet? If so, how'd it work out? I'm considering a Kodiak and my Prius.....

Ken in Anaheim said:
Mbinmo, is it a Springbar or a Kodiak flex-bow? Have you had it up in any big (AZ-type) winds yet? If so, how'd it work out?  I'm considering a Kodiak and my Prius.....
I haven't had it up in Desert winds. But I have used it here in Missouri in a cloud burst. It did well in the wind. Mine is a Kodiak Flex-bow. These tents were originally designed for the winds in southern Utah. I will be at Big Bend NP the first of the month, I'll update you then.

Be sure to keep dust and dirt out of the zippers as ours have gotten a little stubborn after years of use with no maintenance. These are great tents as we have had no other problems as long as you use a ground tarp under the floor, use ball bungees for tying to the stakes and only store dry.

Do the canvas tents like Kodak have problems with goat heads and cactus that are blowing in the wind?

Mbinmo said:
...originally designed for the winds in southern Utah. 
Lots of campers love the Kodiak tents. Bob reported on one they tested at the HOWA build in October and gave it a good review.
Personally I use Ozark Trail 9 person for a supply tent. They are dirt cheap and you can stand up in them. You can put 6 foot tall shelving in there, and they have a good floor. You can lock your tent with TSA locks thru the door zippers. Sadly, the Ozark Trail's are not long lasting with daily use only a season or two.   -crofter

Two things so not go together, tent and desert!  I am trying but on average many days with high winds.  At 17mph tent needs to be taken down or tied to the car. No fun! I have a 10x10 dome so I can stand up/ dress/ wash etc. Car camping in GMC Yukon SUV.